German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some background: I have a LSC girl, Piper, that is currently 11 months old, she is not spayed. My girlfriend has a Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Tilly, that just turned 1 a few days ago, she is not spayed. For the entire time that we have had them, they have always taken each other's toys, bones, antlers, whatever. This is not new. We would give them each a chew thing and Piper would take Tilly's and Tilly would take the one Piper discarded, and they would go backhand forth until they were satisfied. What is new, is Piper's reaction to it. Lately she has started to become protective(?) of her toys, bones, whatever. The other day she had managed to stockpile all of the toys and things next to her, took Tilly's bully stick, then growled when Tilly went to take another toy that Piper had in her pile. I told Piper no, took the bully stick and brought Piper into her kennel in the other room so she could have some time to think about what she'd done. (Yes, I know that's not what she did in there).

That was a few days ago since then they have been fine and back to their toy stealing ways, fast forward to today. I was not home, I had spent the night at a friend's house.

Emily, my girlfriend, had the dogs out, and she was clipping all the animals nails. Here is the play by play I got from Emily:

I had given Tilly the bottle (water bottle) and she was playing with it while Piper chewed a bully stick in the living room. I was in the animal room, clipping the cats' nails. When I was done, Tilly walked out first, and Piper tried to fight the bottle from her. She got it, then went chew on it. I went into the bedroom, got the other bully stick, and tossed it to Tilly. Piper got up, left the bottle and grabbed the bully stick from Tilly. Tilly went for the bottle, got it in her mouth, then Piper lunged, hackles up. She grabbed Tilly by the neck and growled. Tilly started screaming. I grabbed Piper around the neck and she held on for a moment before dropping Tilly and whining at me. Then I went and kenneled her. (Note here that Piper has never held a bite when the other dog has so much as yipped. Not that she bites a lot of dogs, but she has a tendency to grab necks during play like chase.) Tilly was still whining and her neck was sensitive.

As I said before, the toy stealing is not new, they've always happily taken each other's toys, though Piper usually started it. Sometimes it was to start a game of chase, other times she apparently just wanted the thing that she didn't have, and Tilly would grab whatever Piper dropped, then Piper would want that again. What has changed? Is it hormones because of their age and lack of spaying? Is my dog broken, and how do I fix her? (I've got a screwdriver and some treats, that's all the necessary tools, right?) Should we keep them separated at all times? I am super heartbroken right now. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I get the impression from what you described that this aggression has been a long time building up. What seemd to be harmless with taking eachother's toys, now has esclated into aggression. I really think they should be separated each with their own toys. If they are together -then no toys anywhere in site and they would have to be watched or doing supervised activities - such as both being walked on leashes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anyway to deal with the aggression to where they would still be able to have chews and whatnot around each other? Such as being vigilant about not allowing them to take each other's toys and such?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I wouldn't have chews or toys around them when they are both togther because in my view that is what is causing the aggression. I would keep the chews and toys for their crate or individual kennel time. I would also feed them separately.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
My golden is a resource guarder and has never shared well. I will say that I did some major NILIF work with him and he has improved somewhat - he and my GSD can play tug now and keep away. BUT this sort of thing in my experience does not ever go completely away. I still do not keep high value things lying around especially food items, if they get bully sticks one goes into the crate ALWAYS. It's too much of a risk especially with them being intact females if they do get into a big fight, it could ruin their relationship for good.

I know it sucks, I also went from being able to keep whatever out to having to separate dogs once the golden came into the picture. It's too big of a risk IMO, I would keep them separated with high value items. My goldens also started off with just stealing, I didn't do anything about it and it escalated into full blown resource guarding with him lunging and nipping.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've decided that for right now, we will keep high value treats away from them while they are together and eventually gradually re-introduce them, if we feel we are able to. I guess it was just startling because it's not all the time, and it seemed to happen out of nowhere. Even last night, Tilly tried to grab a bully stick from Piper and Piper just turned away. (It was so I could check the aggression out, but I didn't see any kind of aggression) I'm wondering if its possible that something happened in between that Emily didn't see. Anyways, I guess I'll update later with progress reports.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts