German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sorry for neglecting to update.. Dolly has been doing better. The pain seems to have left her which is a good thing but also bad because she now wants to just run her little heart out.

We've been successful at pretty much eliminating all strenuous exercise out of her routine and walk her almost daily now but WE are a little gun shy at the moment because we do nt want to do any further damage to her lower (IVDD) spine or upper (Spondylosis) spine.

I plan on scheduling a followup with the neurologist to see how she's healing in the near future.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm glad to hear she's feeling better. It's so hard to stop then from running when they feel well, isn't it? We battle that with Roxy, too. Have you tried taking Dolly swimming?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
yes, it is very difficult.

I plan to take Dolly to some local lakes to swim but the weather has not been holding up until this week (finally made it to the 80s and sunny). Other plans are do head to the coast and let her swim there too.. very soon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Dolly went on vacation with us over the Christmas week and played hard as she always does in the sand.

The day before we left she started to get very sore at the end of the day to the point she refused to move or eat (very very rare) and cried when you tried to touch her back side.

We had a 12 hour drive home the next day and she slept and sat still the entire time minus a few stops for a potty break.

It had be very worried so I took her to our vet the next day and they did some range motions with her hips and said that there was stiffness in her muscles and she "over did it". Gave me Meloxicam for inflammation and Tramadol for pain and said no walks or fun for a week.

Well, F-Fwd to yesterday (19 Jan): I threw her ball with her but was very gentle and she did little running. Last night same issue, crying when touched on her backside and very sore in the morning.

Took her to another vet recommended by our local GSD chapter. They took X-Rays and said Dolly has bone spurs in her lumbar spine above her hips which they diagnosed as "spinal spondylosis".

What the vet gave for treatment:

Cortisone shot for the pain.
Novox 100mg for pain (1 time pr day /w food).
Phycox soft chews for joint support.

Basically said no more exertion. No more ball play. No more stairs. No more running. Controlled walks daily and lots of swimming.

He pretty much said she is on her way to be crippled if we do not follow the above instructions and that it is very serious!

My question after such a long post.

Does anybody have experience with this in non-senior GSD?
What causes this?
Can surgery help?

This is a huge shock to us as we are very active and she has huge drives and keeping her away from all that play just feels like a death sentence.

Thanks!
My 4-Year-Old Black & Tan German Shepherd just had the exact same spondylosis diagnosis as your Dolly. It has been five years since your original post so I would love to learn how your dog is doing, what treatments worked and everything else you have learned. I wish you and Dolly all the best and really hope she is doing well xx Thank you so much!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts