German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at a friend's house so I don't have access to my usual doggie books.

She called me over to trim her Shepherd's nails. He is 2 years old, eats ProPlan, and his nails have paper like pieces splitting off. He has a few that are broken back almost to the quick.

What could cause this? Food? Anything else?

Any help is much appreciated.
Kim

·
Registered
687 Posts
My two boys are currently on ProPlan, beef, so I'll be watching this, I don't cut their nails, I let the vet do it, too worried about cutting the quick.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
My Golden used to get that, peeling pieces at the outside of her nails, especially after I trim them. I guess it could be diet but she was always on high quality foods, and later in life also high protein grain-free foods like Instinct and Honest Kitchen Embark.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Lucy gets the sharp nail splitting after i clip her nails. She's fed innova adult so i dont think the food is her issue. I usually just clip the edges where they split so they arent sharp... no big deal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These were peeling before I started trimming. The peeling was deep and nearly to the quick. I've never seen anything quite like it and I've had Shepherds for 20 years.

I wish I had thought to take a picture. She called and I ran over without thinking it was anything other than a quick nail trim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts