German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 pure breed unpapered black and tan puppies. My male pup was born with a split nose, double nose, or hairlip. It goes by several names. He has a clean bill of health and the roof of his mouth is fused correctly.
Has anyone else ever seen this before? I've searched the net and dont find much. I decided he needs to be part of my family because his nose makes him look different besides the fact that I just love him. He keeps me laughing because he will do what he is told but grumbles under his breath if he doesnt want to.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the board!

I've heard of the problem but don't know anyone who has a dog with a cleft palate. What does you vet say? Will he have any problems or will he live a normal life?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Welcome, sorry I don't know anything about that but just wanted to say that he is a cutie! :)

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
I think many times when this occurs the breeder will just cull the pup... so you don't see them raised to maturity. Probably more common than we think.
If he survived the nursing stage without getting pnuemonia and the plate has closed, he should be able to live a normal life.
He has a cute heart-shaped nose!!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I've never seen anything like that before. :confused::help:
But he's still a cuty pie, it makes him special and as long as he is healthy I would never cull him. I love the special once anyway. :wub:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gosh Thanks everyone! Festus has been a great joy. My vet is very small town old school and had never seen it in person but says he should be just fine. Especially since we have had no eating issues or illnesses. I have seen the 3 breeds that the double nose is the breed standard on the net. They think their double nose makes their smelling ability better...I'm not so sure about that. I had a pure white blind and deaf australian shephered that should have been culled but wasnt. He had lots of issues. I tried to make his 3 years of life the best and happiest. Now I understand why they cull.
I thank yall for the kind words and I am proud to show him and his cute nose to everyone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also he is being neutered asap. Festus is special and lucky not to have more problems but I dont want even a whoopsie and create more offspring that may not be so lucky.
I love both my babies soooo much!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't ever seen anything like it before, very interesting, and he is a cutie! Festus? as in uncle Festus from the adams family? LOL! I love it, he is the cutest Festus I have ever seen!!!! I am glad you made him part of your family, he is a lucky guy to have you, I cant imagine someone culling him!!!! I didn't know they 'culled' dogs, I thought that was a term only used in farming, scary thought.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We still watch reruns of Gunsmoke and that's who I thought of immediately. We have a 4.5 month old pup and his name comes from that show, but we call him Smokey. Festus is really sweet, what did you call the other one?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Roy Rogers had a German Shepherd named Bullet. So Bullet was a must have name.
They are brother and sister with totally different personalities. They are both ring tail tooters tho! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
OMG! My DH Just corrected me about Festus, he' from gunsmoke and it's uncle Fester...duh...sorry for the stupidity!!! I should have realized- in the book Nops Trial's the monkey in the cowboy show they put Nop in was named Festus. Ifeel likean idiot- but he's still very cute.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 pure breed unpapered black and tan puppies. My male pup was born with a split nose, double nose, or hairlip. It goes by several names. He has a clean bill of health and the roof of his mouth is fused correctly.
Has anyone else ever seen this before? I've searched the net and dont find much. I decided he needs to be part of my family because his nose makes him look different besides the fact that I just love him. He keeps me laughing because he will do what he is told but grumbles under his breath if he doesnt want to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.