German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 1/2year old GSD Gunther was diagnosed with a ruptured spleen 14 hours ago. I am a wreck. We decided to bring him home and will be taking him to his regular vet to be put to sleep. Have I made the wrong decision?

The vets (his regular vet & the ER vet) both made his prognosis sound very bleak. They said that there is an 80%+ probability that it is cancer, HSA. I guess this is a very aggressive cancer and even with chemo his expectancy is less than 6 months. I still keep wondering, what if its benigne?

I cannot bear to watch him suffer. I have and continue to nurse him though all kinds of health issues, including perinatal fistula, skin allergies, a benign interdigital cist. On the x-rays they took yesterday the vet indicated that she also saw arthritis in his spine, though he showed no symptoms yet.

I am so sad sitting up with my best boy right now. This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Please someone, words of support and wisdom are desperately needed. I love my G-man so much.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I am so sorry!!!!

Yes Hemangiosarcoma is a very aggressive cancer and to my knowledge, it is always fatal. Time can be bought with treatments if its caught early but its hard on them. You clearly love him. I think you've made the right decision in letting him go. It will be extremely difficult but he knows you love him. I think the greatest gift you can give him is the decision you've made.

I am sorry you have to deal with them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm so sorry, Stacey. I know what you're dealing with is heart-wrenching.

Do whatever you can to keep your Gunther comfortable. If he is suffering and in pain-that's no way to live. When my senior pals started to have piling-up of health issues, I always made sure to ask myself about their quality of life. Does his tail still wag, is there still light in his eyes, does he still get excited, does he still eat with vigor, etc etc..once those things are gone, it's obvious what the humane decision is.

Treasure and relish the time you have with him. EVERY DAY-EVERY MINUTE. Let him know how much he's loved, and how much you appreciated the unconditional love he's given you over the years. Praise and love on him constantly. I always wanted to make sure that when my babies crossed over, their last thought was of how much they were loved.

You will know in your heart the right course of action to take, if there are things that can be done-within reason-to add more quality time, then perhaps that will be the course of action...perhaps not...there are lots of people here who can offer you advice on whatever you are dealing with GSD related. I hope you'll use this forum to help you cope.

Best of luck to you and your Gunther..

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

If I remember correctly, this is what happened to our Rocky. We woke up one morning as usual and he was lathargic and didn't act himself. Come to find out that afternoon, he had a large tumor on his spleen that ruptured. They removed the spleen and we brought him home, but he just never recovered.

I feel for ya, it's not easy.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I do feel for you. It sounds like the right thing to do. There is so much going against him. Dogs don't have "bucket lists" as far as I know. Freeing him would be a gift.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm so sorry, hemangiosarcoma is a terrible problem within the breed, and sadly you usually don't know the dog is deathly ill until it's too late.

Sending both you and Gunther my prayers and best wishes.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this!

My Boris had this in 2008, it was hemangiosarcoma. We had his spleen removed, because I just wasn't ready to say goodbye. He died three weeks later. It gave me time to say goodbye, but I should have let him go earlier. :(
I have since learned that this horrible cancer seems to be common in German Shepherds.

I am so sorry! Give your boy lots of love.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think 8 1/2 years of being someone's best friend is what matters most. I lost my sweet darling boy at that age too, but I tried to keep him longer. He had a growth on his spleen, although when he was in surgery it was discovered that his liver was gone to cancer. The decision was PTS right there. My heart goes out to you, I know how hard this is, and nothing can make it any easier. Be thankful for the time you had with your wonderful boy - I'm so sorry you're going through this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts