German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to open that topic and I wanted to keep my mouth shut but with the third comment that said:

Unless you are over 300 pounds, if you walk 3 GSD's by yourself, if they all decide to take off at once/act out, you are done for. Just say no. Don't do it. Liability and Lawsuit are ugly, extended 4 letter words.
I have to say something and I don't want to clutter the other topic.

While I am over twohundred pounds it doesn't play any role when I walk all three of mine together.

I really don't know why I always disagree on subjects like these. I don't know why I have no issues to keep multiple dogs under control, maybe it's because of the way I grew up.

However, I have yet to title a dog. I have never titled a dog in my life and a title wouldn't say anything about me as a dog handler anyway.

However, walking three dogs isn't an issue as long as you have every single dog under control.

I don't use prong and I sure as heck don't use a shock collar. There is no need to. Granted, my dogs are not perfect, two of them have issues. One of them is dog reactive/aggressive (however you call it in the US) and I still have her under control when another dog runs up and I do not have to use brute force to keep them under control.

My dogs have never bitten anyone. Not once.

I am not saying to go out there and walk all three of them togehter if you are totally new at this. All I am saying is that it is possible to walk multiple dogs and have them under control. Heck, even when I walk five dogs I have them under control.

And honestly, it's really not that hard when you are an experienced dog owner/handler.
A cat could run off in front of us and they wouldn't dare to try to chase off that cat on leash.

Obedience isn't just sit, stay, down & heel, it is much more than that!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
:thumbup:
I didn't want to open that topic and I wanted to keep my mouth shut but with the third comment that said:

I have to say something and I don't want to clutter the other topic.

While I am over twohundred pounds it doesn't play any role when I walk all three of mine together.

I really don't know why I always disagree on subjects like these. I don't know why I have no issues to keep multiple dogs under control, maybe it's because of the way I grew up.

However, I have yet to title a dog. I have never titled a dog in my life and a title wouldn't say anything about me as a dog handler anyway.

However, walking three dogs isn't an issue as long as you have every single dog under control.

I don't use prong and I sure as heck don't use a shock collar. There is no need to. Granted, my dogs are not perfect, two of them have issues. One of them is dog reactive/aggressive (however you call it in the US) and I still have her under control when another dog runs up and I do not have to use brute force to keep them under control.

My dogs have never bitten anyone. Not once.

I am not saying to go out there and walk all three of them togehter if you are totally new at this. All I am saying is that it is possible to walk multiple dogs and have them under control. Heck, even when I walk five dogs I have them under control.

And honestly, it's really not that hard when you are an experienced dog owner/handler.
A cat could run off in front of us and they wouldn't dare to try to chase off that cat on leash.

Obedience isn't just sit, stay, down & heel, it is much more than that!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I weigh 146lbs and walk my 3 dogs together daily. I must confess I go out at 6:30am when it's really quiet and probably wouldn't choose to walk all three thru a crowd of people & dogs. My 8 yr old male on a rolled leather collar, my 6 yr old female tends to be reactive so I use a Triple Crown Plastic Prong and the 9 month old can go leather collar or regular prong only because she lunges at squirrels.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I also have often walked 3 GS and a shihtzu so 4 dogs, no problems with mine a few idiot other owners and tehir comments but mine behave. The 3 German Shepherds wear chokes, all loose, and the little one a flat collar. I expect good behavior, when I bring a new dog in I walk it alone and slowly add it to the larger group when it knows to walk civilly, if it errs I control it, the rest usually wait or just watch. I walk anytime and anywhere, I have never avoided crowds nor busy times, i have even gone into pet stores like this, the only trouble is holding the doors but usually someone will step up and help. Great for socializing and increasing control and bonding.

Of course now I want an obed title I am finding my boy is usually wide as he is on the outside usually, so am workingit.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
I think Sylvie's post shows that there are all levels of experience and comfort zones with our dogs. Just because she might not feel comfortable walking three dogs and threw that out there for the other poster to think about, does not mean that she needs to be bashed for it. Also, given her professional experience and that we live in the U.S. of Lawsuits, her advice on the legal ramifications is also valid.

It's good that some people grow up with dogs, as some parents are breeders, but not everyone has that experience. To bad that the input wasn't left on the original thread so the OP could benefit from this information.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I don't see how it is a question of right or wrong, of physical strenght, or of better handling ability or better training.
To me, it is a question of personal preference and our own comfort zone, and the dynamics between the dogs.

I'm sure I could handle three dogs just fine, but have no issues if someone does not feel like they could. And my two walk together on leash beautifully, yet I still at times take them for walks individually for a number or reasons.

Bashing people because they don't want to walk three dogs together, or just don't feel like it is a prudent thing to do, is . . . what? Why even make an issue of it?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I think it's really quite sad that because someone decides it's not a good idea for one person to walk three large dogs at the same time, you think it's because they aren't a good enough dog handler/trainer or their dogs aren't well trained enough.

My dogs are VERY well trained and I am a good handler, and yes I could walk three at the same time.

But is it SMART? The answer is no. Dogs are not robots, what may cause one to prick ears (running squirrel, loose dog, etc), two might give a little tug, and three really feed off eachother and may bolt. You may walk for years and years and not have a problem, but as the other poster pointed out - in America, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Perhaps you'll realize this after you've lived in this country for awhile.

People sue you because your leaves blow onto their freshly cleaned lawn.

You can bet your last dollar (which it will be) that if you are walking three dogs in America and something goes wrong - ANYTHING - you will likely be sued.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I can and do walk multiple dogs at a time and have done so forever. I will even add in the new out-of-control fosters to the group and have never given it a second thought as the foster quickly figures out that behaving is a much better idea. I have zero problem getting my herd to walk nicely and I used to take four dogs running around the crowded lakes on a regular basis. I expect my dogs to behave and they do, but as an experienced handler I pay constant attention to them and my surroundings to prevent anything disastrous from happening. This is not hard and others could do it if they really wanted to.

But, I see lots of other people out with just one dog and they are oblivious to everything and their dog is out of control. It doesn't surprise me in the least when others can't or don't want to try walking more than one.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
There is nothing wrong with someone choosing not to walk multiple dogs if they don't want to, but there is also no reason not to do it if you have the skill. Having to worry about a bite or being dragged off your feet is only for the unskilled handler. My biggest problem is watching for loose dogs and idiots that don't keep their dogs to themselves.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's really quite sad that because someone decides it's not a good idea for one person to walk three large dogs at the same time, you think it's because they aren't a good enough dog handler/trainer or their dogs aren't well trained enough.

My dogs are VERY well trained and I am a good handler, and yes I could walk three at the same time.

But is it SMART? The answer is no. Dogs are not robots, what may cause one to prick ears (running squirrel, loose dog, etc), two might give a little tug, and three really feed off eachother and may bolt. You may walk for years and years and not have a problem, but as the other poster pointed out - in America, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Perhaps you'll realize this after you've lived in this country for awhile.

You can bet your last dollar (which it will be) that if you are walking three dogs in America and something goes wrong - ANYTHING - you will likely be sued.

America this, America that.

And last time you wondered why I am so scared to come to the US?

All I read is what you CAN'T do because you could be sued over or your dog could be shot.

That is all I read.
I REFUSE to see only the negativity. I am NOT stupid. I can handle my dogs well and if an off leash dog approaches mine while they are on leash why would I be the one in trouble IF something happens? I followed the rules and I do NOT believe that there is a rule out there that says that you can't walk three well trained dogs at the same time!

I went downtown with all three of them for a reason. Heck I had all three of them in the trolley and on the bus and they behaved perfectly.

I know what my dogs are capable off and what they are not capable off and I know what I can and can't do with them. I prefer having them with me anywhere I go and I will not leave one behind!

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
Wow. Overreact much?

I believe the point was that just because you are comfortable walking all three of your dogs, does not mean that everyone is. If that person is not comfortable doing so, then that person should not be bashed for it.

Nobody said there was a rule stating you can't walk three dogs. Nobody really cares if you walk three dogs. All Sylvie was saying, perhaps poorly since its become such an issue, was that if you can't handle three dogs at once then don't do it because it could end badly for everyone.

I notice a trend in your posts. If you don't agree with something, then you start a new post making it an issue, not even considering the other viewpoint, while listing all your accolades and your experience with dogs (and horses). Well...not everyone has that experience. That's just a fact of life.

Personally, I would walk all three of my dogs and not worry. I've walked a 110lb male GSD with my 65lb girl, while my girl was having a fit. I never once was uncomfortable.

America is a different culture and you will have to make adjustments. I don't believe that makes us scary monsters who shoot dogs on a daily basis for kicks.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Wow. Overreact much?

I believe the point was that just because you are comfortable walking all three of your dogs, does not mean that everyone is. If that person is not comfortable doing so, then that person should not be bashed for it.

Nobody said there was a rule stating you can't walk three dogs. Nobody really cares if you walk three dogs. All Sylvie was saying, perhaps poorly since its become such an issue, was that if you can't handle three dogs at once then don't do it because it could end badly for everyone.

I notice a trend in your posts. If you don't agree with something, then you start a new post making it an issue, not even considering the other viewpoint, while listing all your accolades and your experience with dogs (and horses). Well...not everyone has that experience. That's just a fact of life.

Personally, I would walk all three of my dogs and not worry. I've walked a 110lb male GSD with my 65lb girl, while my girl was having a fit. I never once was uncomfortable.

America is a different culture and you will have to make adjustments. I don't believe that makes us scary monsters who shoot dogs on a daily basis for kicks.
I :wub: you!!

This is why I stay clear of Mrs. K's posts/threads. I am a native of Germany and she sometimes rubs me the wrong way.

-E

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jax, it is okay, if anyone wants to walk two dogs instead of three it's fine. All I wanted to say is that three dogs can be walked together. If you don't like walking them, fine but don't say that it is absolutely impossible because it's not.

And as for the topic, everytime it gets off the topic people say open a new topic. That is why I opened a new topic.

And as for Rerun and my so called overreaction. He always implies things that I have never said or even touched.

I have never said that anyone that doesn't want to walk three dogs is incapable of training dogs. There are several other topics where he said things that I have never written. I don't know if I have a problem to get my point across or if it is my grammer or spelling or wording or whatever the heck it is, I am tired of being quoted and told that this is what I ment or this is what I've written.

And as for my overreaction... SIX WEEKS until we fly over and every day I am hearing of how bad it is in the US and that if I do this or that I will be sued over or my dogs will be taken away and shot or euthanized.

My husband is freaking out about the Greencard and that it doesn't get approved in time, I am freaking out about everything else.

So if I overreact it's because of the stress and because I am scared. If somebody wants to ease my mind, go ahead but it sure won't be eased when I read stuff like "Oh you will be sued over..."

It can't be THAT bad.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Jax, it is okay, if anyone wants to walk two dogs instead of three it's fine. All I wanted to say is that three dogs can be walked together. If you don't like walking them, fine but don't say that it is absolutely impossible because it's not.

And as for the topic, everytime it gets off the topic people say open a new topic. That is why I opened a new topic.

And as for Rerun and my so called overreaction. He always implies things that I have never said or even touched.

I have never said that anyone that doesn't want to walk three dogs is incapable of training dogs. There are several other topics where he said things that I have never written. I don't know if I have a problem to get my point across or if it is my grammer or spelling or wording or whatever the heck it is, I am tired of being quoted and told that this is what I ment or this is what I've written.

And as for my overreaction... SIX WEEKS until we fly over and every day I am hearing of how bad it is in the US and that if I do this or that I will be sued over or my dogs will be taken away and shot or euthanized.

My husband is freaking out about the Greencard and that it doesn't get approved in time, I am freaking out about everything else.

So if I overreact it's because of the stress and because I am scared. If somebody wants to ease my mind, go ahead but it sure won't be eased when I read stuff like "Oh you will be sued over..."

It can't be THAT bad.
First of all, "he" is a she, and second of all - you started this thread. Not me. You also quoted and replied to someone ELSE in the previous thread that said you shouldn't walk three at the same time. That wasn't even me that said it.

Once again, I will point out that in the original thread I simply pointed out to the retired man asking about adding a third dog that if he didn't want to walk three GSD's at the same time (which many people don't/won't) then to keep in mind that his one or two walks a day was going to turn into two or four walks per day.

I never once stated in that thread that someone shouldn't walk three dogs. You were the one that quoted and replied to me before you even replied in the thread! So who is mis quoting who?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, "he" is a she, and second of all - you started this thread. Not me. You also quoted and replied to someone ELSE in the previous thread that said you shouldn't walk three at the same time. That wasn't even me that said it.

Once again, I will point out that in the original thread I simply pointed out to the retired man asking about adding a third dog that if he didn't want to walk three GSD's at the same time (which many people don't/won't) then to keep in mind that his one or two walks a day was going to turn into two or four walks per day.

I never once stated in that thread that someone shouldn't walk three dogs. You were the one that quoted and replied to me before you even replied in the thread! So who is mis quoting who?
Well, Rerun sounds very male to me and i didn't know that you are a SHE.

However, I was referring to this part:

I never said that the person isn't a good trainer, or that the dogs are not well trained enough. What i did say on the other hand or tried to say is that an experienced handler SHOULDNT HAVE any problems to handle three dogs at a time. What I also tried to say is that an inexperienced person SHOULD NOT do it. But I have NEVER said or never implied that somebody that doesn't walk three dogs is a bad trainer, all I wanted to say is that it is possible for somebody under 300 pounds to walk a dog!

But is it SMART? The answer is no.
Dogs are not robots, what may cause one to prick ears (running squirrel, loose dog, etc), two might give a little tug, and three really feed off eachother and may bolt. You may walk for years and years and not have a problem, but as the other poster pointed out - in America, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Perhaps you'll realize this after you've lived in this country for awhile.

And here we go again, for the hundred of millionst of time... you will likely get sued over in the US for anything. From what I read, just on this forum, I am waiting for a lawsuit about people breathing actual air! You can be sued over for anything... if I learned one thing from this forum is that people sue you over for about anything and everything. You might as well never leave the house!

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyhow, I better take some time off. if I rubbed anyone the wrong way I didn't want to and I apologize.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Writing messages on a forum is very different than having a face to face conversation. Their are no emotions other than the little smiley faces, etc that you can add to the post. Also, we have folks from all different places and cultures on this site. I know I have likely rubbed people the wrong way stating my opinion in the past, and likely will in the future. I also don't always like what other people "say" or how they "say" it. But this is why I come here. None of us know it all, but getting different ideas and perspectives can make us better dog owners. I think that's the one thing we all want and have in common.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
If other people are comfortable doing it that's their business, but I hope their dogs are very well trained and aren't reactive to anything.

I personally wouldn't do it because if the dogs are physically capable of dragging me to the ground without much effort, I won't do it. It doesn't matter to me if they are trained not to, I don't believe dogs are ever 100% reliable. It wouldn't take much to take me down either, I'm 120 pounds. 3 dogs would definitely overpower me in weight and strength.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
In a lame attempt at levity, I would like to point out that a 300 lb person probably isn't going to be walking any amount of dogs very far, and thus the likelihood of an incident is kind of low.

No offense to anyone near or over 300 lbs.

:)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I'm 110 lb and I walk three dogs at once, or I used too until my older male got to old to go on group walks. One dog is 75 lbs and loves to go after cats and squirrels, the other is 40 lbs, the last one is 50 lbs. They are all well trained on the leash and listen to me. I made sure I had control over all the dogs before i walked the three of them together. If someone wants to walk three dogs at once go for it, but they better all be trained and listen to the handler, if not it could get very ugly very fast.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts