German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took Anna to Petsmart today where after like five minutes I had a lady and her teenage daughter come see us. The lady said she had two GSD, male and female. We talked for a while about how great they are, etc. She asked me where I got Anna and I told her and explained they only have about a litter of pups once/twice a year. Then it turned weird:

Lady: Oh, I don't want a pup, I need a female to breed with my male. My female is fixed.

Me: Oh, okay.

Lady: So, how's her temperment?

Me: Good, she loves kids and other dogs. She's a great dog blah blah blah

Lady: So, has she ever been around an intact male? How old is she?

Me, sensing where this is going: Umm...yes? and a little over 8mo

Lady: Well, she is really pretty. Apollo (male) is from OLD LINES his dad was 130lbs and he's about 110.

Me: Wow. That's umm...big.

Lady: Yeah, he's got a great temperment, I want to breed him.

Me getting ready to take Anna and run: Well, good luck with that...

Lady: Are you interested in breeding her? When's her next heat?

Me: Well, since I had her ovaries cut out two months ago, I don't think that's going to happen. Plus, even if not, I'd never breed her at 8mo. BTW, has your male been OFA'd?

Lady with odd look as if I spoke Latin: Well, I mean, he's healthy....

Me: but have his hips and elbows been officially checked?

Lady, snippy: Well, he's healthy. Anyway, pretty dog. Nice meeting you.

Anna just sat there and looked at me with a look of W T F?

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
grrr i meet people like that all the time at petsmart...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah I've gotten that sort of thing many times with my Golden. A quick "she's spayed" usually does the trick!

The weirdest thing I got was when I was walking Bianca and my foster Shepherd. I actually had someone stop their car on the street to ask me if they could have one of their puppies! The exact thing they said was "Please tell me they're going to have puppies soon!" Weird. I think it may have been someone who lived in the neighborhood or a friend of one of my neighbors but I didn't recognize the buy. I called back "Sorry, they're fixed!" and kept walking. At least he got the genders right (not both the same sex!)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have had that happen so much! I love to throw the what titles and what has been checked health question! and watch people stumble. As a matter of fact just had that happen with a boxer!

After I asked to check and look at the dogs She said quite angry to me Never mind I will find my own female to breed my dog with! Oh I hate people like that

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have it in my mind that this is what some mothers do in supermarkets....I have a nice boy and I want him to meet a nice girl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts