German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my puppy, who is 16 weeks, spayed before her first heat, is this wise to do? What are the cons in spaying at a young age? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Well there's two theories, one is that it's easier on the pup to be spayed at a young age before their reproductive organs are fully developed, the other is to allow the pup to benefit from the hormones that are produced as long as possible. My vet said that there's higher incidence of bladder control problems later in life if the pup is spayed too young. I think that with large dogs especially, it's best to wait until 8-9 mos to spay. Typically, she won't have a heat before then.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Had mine spayed at 5-6months based on vet recommendation. Not too young and not too 'developed'.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I, Personally, would not spay before 11/12 months of age. Preferably 12 M. I would also not neuter before 18m.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We had Lola spayed when she was a little over 6 months, on my vet recommendation. She did tell us some pros and cons about waiting and doing it early, but after talking for awhile, we all agreed that we should go ahead with it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
If I had a female, I would wait to spay until 1 1/2 or 2 years old. I feel that it is important for a dog's body to fully develop naturally without removing hormones that are needed to grow properly. But then there are also health risks associated with late spaying. I would spay no later than 2 years to keep those risks low, but also let my puppy fully mature before taking her hormones away. I have read about and increase in bone cancer and growth problems if they are fixed before they are done growing.

Females are more complex than males when it comes to getting fixed. I would personally balance out the risks by waiting until 1.5 years or 2 at the latest.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've had my previous female GSD spayed at 7 mths old and my current one at 6 mths old. No complications with either one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much everyone for your advise. I think we will wait until she is at least a year old :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Mia went into heat one week before her scheduled spay...the vet delayed it for two full months after her menses stopped so she ended up being 13 months. Bella was 8 months and she had not had a first heat. Bella did much better in recovering. Mia had complications that cost an extra $800. I wanted to spay around 10-12 months. Don't let them spay if she goes into heat, that can be really tricky!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
My dog was a shelter dog - spayed by the shelter at age 2. Three years later, she started dripping blood. My first thought was cancer, because my dog was spayed. Numerous tests were run. My vet suspected an incomplete spay. Dog has exploratory surgery. Discovered 4 inches of uterus and part of both ovaries. So dog was re-spayed. Cost over a thousand dollars and recovery was tough.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Abby will be about 18months when we get her spayed, and she'll be the first I've ever had altered. It's a personal decision, and as you are finding out there's a lot of different, sensible opinions out there. This is just what seems best to us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts