German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is just getting over her first heat. As of today, her private areas are no longer swollen and see no bloody discharge. Is she still vunerable? She went into season early June.

How long should I wait before having her spayed? What is the approximate recoup time on this so I can stay home with her or should I not worry about it?

I have never dealt with a dog going into heat before so thanks for the patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,924 Posts
Where I work we wait until 4-6 weeks after the heat to do the surgery. You're looking at 14 or so days for recovery after surgery. All dogs are different. I never put the cone on Gracie, we were home for 5 days with her then returned to work. We had someone come in twice a day to walk her, she was confined to her crate. When she started to lick the incision area, I put hydrocortisone cream around the incision, not on it, and that stopped the licking. Good luck!!
 

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
Joined
·
14,619 Posts
I would agree on waiting 4 to 6 weeks to ensure the hormons are back to "normal" before spaying. With Tika I never used a cone either I just put a t-shirt on her and a "belt" right in front of her hind legs. This way she didnt have access to licking and the shirt hung low enough to not rub against her incision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,951 Posts
From my experience on another surgery, day 3 is when the incission begins to itch. My dogs have a reaction to some of the sutures vets typically use. This makes the experience worse. I used cones when I slept or when I left the dog without human supervision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
I believe they're vulnerable for appx. 3 weeks, the week before, during and after is what my vet said. My extremely playful/active had a much easier time than I anticipated. I only work 1/2 day so she was fine alone during that time. I also have a male and 2 cats which she likes to chase, but all was well. She licked it a few times, but we just told her no and she quit after the first day. I worried about being able to keep her calm for the 10 days we were told to keep her quiet and don't let her run, but she did pretty well. You should be able to had the procedure done mid-July.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work for the school district part-time and have to go back to work the first week of August. I would like to do it during a time I was off. July would be good or during the Thanksgiving holidays. Hmm. Can't imagine going through this again during Christmas. Yuck. lol.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top