German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 1 year old GSD, Bella, is getting her procedure next week. She's a sweetheart but full of energy and absolutely loves being outdoors. Doctor stated she'll need to stay indoors for 10-14 days. I'm so worried about how she's going to react. Any tips, or suggestions? I'm working from home. Guess I may move into her crate as well.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
749 Posts
Crate, cone of shame, and leash always to go out.

Most feel you should wait until at least 18 months and 24 is even better for the age to spay. My breeder even had it in our contract. They need those hormones to finish growing and developing. Early spay is believed to contribute to hip and elbow issues.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If at all possible, I’d also wait a minimum of 18 months before a spay. Reduced risks of torn cruciates and some cancers.

·
Registered
32,315 Posts
Didn't read this properly and couldn't delete, so I edited it. It's been a long time since I've spayed a bitch, so I haven't much to say about it.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hi Batman65!

I had Josie spayed (OSS) at 2 years and 8 months and one of my main concerns was post op activity restrictions.
I do trick and obedience training with her for about 10 minutes in the morning daily (that involves jumps, bowing, position changes), before work I walk her for almost 2 miles and weekends I take her hiking for about 4 miles (averaging about 500 ft of elevation gain). So yes, I was very worried about how I could manage her for the 2 week recovery time.
To my surprise, she didn’t really want to do anything but rest the first few days. I asked to work from home the week of her surgery, she mostly lay in bed while I watched her like a hawk. She likes to lick and pick, only managed to keep the cone on her day 1 and then switched to a recovery suit.
Looking at her Instagram highlights it looks like we resumed trick training post op day 1. Whoops. I think I waited 4 weeks before I took her hiking again, unless my Garmin Connect history proves my memory wrong. Lol.

I don’t know that she would have been easier to manage post op at 1 year old. The 100 degree temps combined with forest fire smoke may have curbed the desire to be outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I agree with the others with the time frame of the surgery. With my last dog, it was recommended to wait until the first time she went into heat. Fast forward 15 years later, it's now recommended to wait until at least 18 months which is what I am going to do.

·
Registered
11,046 Posts
18 months.
Minimum.
Let the hormones do their job for now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts