German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deja is intact (still), 5+ years old. She only sheds majorly twice a year, just before her heat, literally drops her coat during a few weeks. Hardly any dust bunnies after that and not because I vacuum every week. I would love to know if spaying could result in that 'German Shedder syndrome' (year round shedding)?

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
Not with my gal. I think living in a heated house has more to do with it, or at least that is what I've read. I brush my dogs every night and I haven't been getting much hair in the brush this winter. But then again, she could be dropping hair outside playing in the snow more than dropping fur on my floor or in the comb.

·
Super Moderator
5,510 Posts
I really haven’t noticed (spayed) Carly shedding more than (intact) Scarlet. Carly’s coat has changed though since she was spayed. Can’t exactly explain “spay coat”, but she’s fuzzier, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I really haven’t noticed (spayed) Carly shedding more than (intact) Scarlet. Carly’s coat has changed though since she was spayed. Can’t exactly explain “spay coat”, but she’s fuzzier, if that makes any sense.
I have heard there can be spay bitch coat where the coat grows longer and the texture is softer.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Is Carly's coat naturally short?

·
Registered
15,889 Posts
In my observation, the intact bitches will shed massively (guard hairs & undercoat by the 'dog load') for a couple of weeks preceding a heat cycle. Through the heat cycle, they seem to shed very little. But the rest of the year, they shed as much undercoat or more than the spayed bitches. Spayed bitches do not seem to do the massive drop, nor do they seem to take time off. They seem to be more consistent (or steady) shedders. So how's that for a term?

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
In my observation, the intact bitches will shed massively (guard hairs & undercoat by the 'dog load') for a couple of weeks preceding a heat cycle.
Cava just went into heat, and she's blowing coat like crazy. No guard hairs, but tons of undercoat. Hopefully she'll stop soon, or she'll be naked!

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
In my observation, the intact bitches will shed massively (guard hairs & undercoat by the 'dog load') for a couple of weeks preceding a heat cycle. Through the heat cycle, they seem to shed very little. But the rest of the year, they shed as much undercoat or more than the spayed bitches. Spayed bitches do not seem to do the massive drop, nor do they seem to take time off. They seem to be more consistent (or steady) shedders. So how's that for a term?
My neighbor's spay bitch gets clumps and my lab/gsd mix as a child got clumps. Both dogs live(d) indoors and only go out for walks. Either way, we have dogs, we have dog hair to sweep up, cars to clean and clothes to delint.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not worried about the shedding itself but if there is a direct link between spay and changes in shedding/coats I wonder what else affects spaying besides what we already know. I have to make that appointment soon if I want to spay her and I actually dread it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Mei is still intact and will be until at least 24 months. I would like to think the opposite...wishful thinking. Mei is a thick/short hair and it seems like the shedding has been non-stop since early December. I can still pull clumps of hair out with just my hands. I don't know where it keeps coming from, but she's shedding like crazy! I've bathed her with deshedding furminator shampoo. Brush her few times a week and it is just endless lol....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts