German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 month old was just spayed. she is supposed to stay calm for 14 days according to the vet. I realize this is very conservative on the vets part to make sure the pup fully heals. I plan on atleast controlling her for 1 week. My problem is she is very intense with an extremely high drive. I live 500 ft from a wonderful dog park. She is used to being their for between 2-3 hours each day in addition to a few short walks. She was spayed friday and friday night and saturday were easy to deal with because she was sore and groggy from being put under. Now however she is an absolute terror. today she woke up barely in pain (from what i can tell) and has harassed me all day. she's sliding all over my wooden floors, trying to jump on everything and just generally trying to do everything she isnt supposed to. I need help how to keep her calm. she is still taking pain killers but im thinking of withholding them to see if some pain would slow her down. thoughts? suggestions?

-i have incorporated some crate time but i would rather avoid that because then she also has to wear the e collar since she would be unsupervised.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
Does she have food drive? You could take her out and run some short tracks with her, it is mental exercise and not too physical. Her incision needs to heal, so she does need to be kept somewhat low key.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
lay some tracks for her to search out her meals

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you ill give that a try. she had her remaining deciduous teeth pulled so she is getting her kibble soaked right now. in a few days when she gets solid food again I'll consider it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts