German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazzy is roughly 2 years (rescue) we walk a specific 3 mile trail frequently and I notice at the beginning of the summer that she has started marking ... she is exhibiting no other urine related problems and is the only dog in the house...so I do believe it is marking. What is interesting and confusing to me is she does not appear to be a submissive dog and she does not really challenge me much, so I never really considered her alpha either, we have a great relationship and she is well behaved... I met another female German Shepherd the other day at a park I did not notice an dominant behavior, in fact at one point Mazzy licked her face.. and the female was younger than her approx 11 months old, they appeared to be fairly neutral in their play style but we did leave after about 10 mins so did not have the opportunity to watch them for longer. So my question is, isn't marking an indicator of an alpha female? and if it is then what behaviors if any should I be on the look out for? Another reason that I am curious and this is my daughter is getting divorced and will be coming back to live with me, possibly long term... she has an 6 year old female cattle dog mix.... not sure if Hannah is dominant or not .. I have not lived with her for a long time...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I didn't realize females "mark." Thought it was a male thing.

Well, you will need to supervise the 2 dogs together especially since they're 2 females. They may not get along and according to many in here, females can fight pretty viciously. If they get along, GREAT! If they don't get along you have 3 options: 1) your daughter will have to get rid of her dog since it's your house. 2) you will have to get rid of your dog. or 3) you will have to "crate and rotate."

·
Super Moderator
7,949 Posts
Both of my girls mark.It's not unusual,just a channel of communication between other animals in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Yes females will mark. My girl will pee over areas my male has marked while on a walk. If my male tries to return the favor she will mark it again sometimes pushing him out of the way to do so. My other dogs respect her, but I'm not sure if she's dominant or if they think she is crazy and give her space. :wink2:

As for introducing your daughters dog do so on neutral ground and go from there. I introduced my girls to my sons dog recently out in the national forest near our home. My girls focused moreso on the all the great smells and less on the hyper young guy bouncing all over. A Neighborhood walk together may work, but if there are barking dogs running fences and such it could add stress to the situation.

·
Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Carly has always marked (outside), intact and spayed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts