German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I asked about our lovely Java's behavior changing lately http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/269090-sniffing-circling-room.html

Well, it turns out, my lovely wife is now 6 weeks pregnant! (our first) My assumptions are, Java is just reacting a bit.

Now, we were going to wait until Javas first heat to get her spayed (Our breeder highly suggests). But, in lieu of this news, for my wife/baby health - would it be better to get Java spayed before her heat? I guess my worry would be any contact with the dogs blood during the heat cycle.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I dont think you will contact the dogs blood unless she isnt keeping herself clean/ you arent using a diaper or something. I dont think it's unhealthy for your wife or baby for your dog to go though a heat, she will probably heat before your baby is born

I would wait :)

PS congrats on new parenthood!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Congrats on the baby!!!!

The blood from the heat cycle will have no ill affects on your wife. So it's personal preference.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Very excited!

We have no issue with her going through the cycle. I was just curious if there was anything to worry about, like I know cat feces are terrible for pregnant women to be anywhere near.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why on earth was this moved to choosing a breeder? Did whoever moved it not read the thread?

·
Super Moderator
32,339 Posts
Where did you post it initially? I just did a notification to have it moved out of this forum.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Congrats!!!

As others have said, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Also, long as your wife isn't changing the cat box, all should be fine. Even if she's wearing a mask over her face would be better than not around the cat box.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Actually if its an indoor cat, you can have it tested for Toxo. If negative than your wife is safe to change litterboxes was well. In fact there is a very short window of time that a cat sheds Toxo if infected.

If its an indoor/ outdoor cat, she should refrain or wear gloves when cleaning the box.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Don't do anything. Sterilization might cause complications (it often happens) and, instead of taking care of your wife and the baby you would run to the vet every day. More than that - not the fact (not a big trouble, honestly) inconvinience your pet going through heat may make your wife nervous, but your pet getting sick after surgery.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't do anything. Sterilization might cause complications (it often happens) and, instead of taking care of your wife and the baby you would run to the vet every day. More than that - not the fact (not a big trouble, honestly) inconvinience your pet going through heat may make your wife nervous, but your pet getting sick after surgery.
I agree with David here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Complications are rare. Do not NOT sterilize over fear of complications. There are reasons to sterilize just as there are reasons not to, but fear of complications? This should be a personal choice (I am in favor of spay/neuter) not led by fear mongering. The car ride to the vet is far more dangerous than the surgery.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was advised by my vet to spay before Norah's first heat, she said this was now considered better..Without wanting to start a debate on this as I don't really know, I guess there are advocates for and against and it comes down to what you want to do..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kona just had her first heat. She gained 8.5 lbs in the 2 weeks before and during her heat. I think the hormone change helped her mature into more of an adult. I would not spay her until this has occurred. I read, but don't know for sure but that it helps their bones get stronger... which makes sense to me.

It was not a big event... just some spotting on the tile and she slept a lot. We measured her and got boy's underwear to put on her... we had to pin the loose top but it helped prevent us having to clean up as much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts