German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been 9 days since she got fixed.

Here's the pics I took this morning. Seems to be a little puffy around the cut area but I felt it and it didn't feel spongy or anything.

She lets me poke around it and doesn't jump when I push on it either. However I hanv't pushed to see if anything comes out.. just touching it.

She seems fine and is playfull so I'm just checking to see what you guys think.

Fine? Just a ****ty stiching job?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It has been 16 days since Molly has been spayed. One the 9 th day it wasn't like that at all!! It may be a good idea to go see your vet asap!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would get that looked at asap. It looks a bit oozy, and if so that could indicate a bit of an infection.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Run to the vet - it appears to have split. They can restitch it for you and give her antibiotics just in case.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm not crazy about the looks of that...my female's incision kinda looked like that and she was having a reaction to a bad batch of gut stitch (internal stitches)..It should be nice and kinda smoother looking vs bulgy bumpy..It' should also be cleaner..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am no expert but I agree with above post.... Infection is my guess...

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't look good to me either. Couldn't hurt to have the vet look at it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. i will find a vet and see what they say.

sucks.. just started a new job and have no personal time saved up. maybe can gf to take her tomorrow.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That looks a lot like what Abby's incision looked like after 4 days.
On the 5th day she started bleeding and ended up in the hospital
for 3 days. The vet said it was a suture reaction.

Additional rest and a course of antibiotics cleared everything up.

If thats 9 days...I would see your vet ASAP...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She has an appointment tomorrow morning at 10.

I'm going to use my EMT skills and bandage it so she can't lick it anymore between now and then vs. having to buy a collar.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Has she been licking it much?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has she been licking it much?
She licks it but it's not a constant thing. Occasional licking is how I would describe it.

I do tell her to stop when I catch her and she will stop.

She hasnt bitten it like she does the itchy parts of her fur on occasion.

·
Registered
852 Posts
My Daisys looked SIMILAR to that, a little less puffy, and we took her in to have them take a quick peek and they said it was fine. However, I advise you to call your vet and either see if you can just bring her in when you have time, or make an appt. It shouldnt take a long time for them to decide if its serious.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would bring her in....we just had a dog come in to work today whose incision looked like that, they treated it....it shouldnt look like that!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have some pics of my dog's spay incision after 10 days and it was noticeably smoother than that. But I do remember taking her in after a few days (but I can't remember how it looked, I think only the end was funky looking), a vet tech glanced and it and said it was no big deal, hope your doggy will do OK on the visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Looks like she will need antibiotics as it does look like a suture reaction to me. And keep her from licking it like you have been - if she does it will just irritate it further. Try an old t-shirt for her to wear, might be long enough to keep her away - or a pair of boxer shorts.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
She has been licking at that incision and has made the tissues swell and start coming apart. it does look like the underneath is healing, but the outside is not.
She can't lick AT ALL...... Even if you are just seeing her occasionally lick, my bet is she is licking at night and whenever you are not watching her like a hawk.the more they lick, the more irratated the skin gets, then it swells and starts separating.
We had a big Saint Bernard go home after a c section and spay. no puppies at all lived. But, we told them DO NOT let her lick, at all. Period. They said, okay no problem, promptly took her home and did not watch her. She tore her stithches out, all three layers within 3 days and we had to put her back under, and resuture the incision again. Cost them alot and they learned a valuable lesson, the dog walked in with part of her insides starting to come out the open incision. Not the vets fault, but the owners for letting the dog lick.
My Berner was spayed and I watched her carefully, she did not lick and within 5 days, the incision line was tight and closed up . I don't beleive its a suture reaction at all, this incision is from licking and that is what is causing the reaction.
Get her to a vet and bring home an e collar so she won't lick anymore

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just picked up a collar tonight and will put it on her shortly. Right now she's on the couch with my gf watching her.

I feel bad for not putting a collar on her before and letting her lick it.

:(

I've never had a dog fixed in my life, my parents and our family have always had animals etc.. so I figured what tiny amount she was, wasnt bad.

:(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts