German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past week, our 3 year old sweet dog Bailey has been peeing the majority of the times she is laying down- whether it be on the couch, our bed, our lap, the floor etc. She is extremely well house trained and these are not full blown accidents. We took her to the vet yesterday and the vet thinks it could be spay incontinence. She wants Bailey to take Proin tablets- has anyone had experience with this? I am so worried that this will not resolve it or that there is a separate issue. I just want my dog to get better and of course not destroy our house in the process. I would love any insight you may have!

Also, we adopted Bailey at a humane society and were told she was a German Shepherd mix...after some research, we believe she is a border collie mixed with lab possibly.

Thank you,
Sarah

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts
Years ago I used Proin on a dobe with spay incontinence. It worked really well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Did the vet test for a urinary tract infection, just to rule out a temporary condition before determining that the problem is spay incontinence?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I used Proin on an older dog and it worked, but there were reasons why it happened, due to illness. It was not spay incontinence. How did the vet decide? I think that is very rare.

·
Super Moderator
6,224 Posts
It’s very common in Dobermans unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vet did test for UTI and ruled that out. I just feel as if they were very quick to say that Bailey suffers from spay incontinence. However, I do not know enough about it to say otherwise. It just seems very strange that she has not had any "episodes" of this until the last week. Not much in her environment has changed except she may be drinking more water due to playing a lot more outside recently... but we let her out many times throughout the night before she goes to bed so I don't think that is the issue. We will see how this first week goes on her medicine... I am praying this is not a long term problem. She is otherwise a very happy and healthy dog!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
The leaking when sleeping or resting is very typical of spay incontinence, and can show up anytime after a bitch is spayed. My Rottie mix started leaking a few months after she was spayed. For various reasons, I opted to not medicate and just live with it. It just so happened that when I started her on a 100% raw diet, it controlled her leaking. We went from several leaking incidents a day to maybe one per month, if that! She had to be on 100% raw though - if she so much as went one day being fed kibble or cooked food, the leaking started up almost immediately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts