German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Lot of great info on these forums. I know that people have answered this questions about Southern Ontario Breeders but some of the information is dated and I wanted a fresh perspective on breeders in the area.

Quickly about myself: 33 year old, has grown up with 2 GSD, a Sheltie and recently a Westie who we had to put down in December. These have always been family dogs but this GSD will my own. I live in Mississauga, willing to drive within 2-3 hours. Not looking for a particular working line. Just looking for a smart companion that had a good amount of energy, whom I can train and challenge and form a great bond with.

I have researched about 15 breeders in the area and I have narrowed it down to 4. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, experiences. I haven't read/found many red flags with these breeders, but I might be missing something. They all at least state they are OFA Hip/Elbow Dysplasia Certified dogs. Standard CKC registered, MicroChip, 1st Needles, deworming, Vet Check, written health guarantee.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

The four are: Summerview, Dei Precision Kennels, Carissima Kennels and Noble Lines Kennel

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
You are citing a mix of KC (AKC or CKC) type kennels and one European style kennel. You need to understand the difference in "type" - or priorities of characterics and appearance between the two....for myself - it is a no brainer....the Euro style is still bred for a more balance of character and structure than the KC types as a general rule.

I have been to some events where Dei Precision Kennels have been competing - and they seem to be even above average for the European showlines. The owner was approachable and collegial at these events with others, did well and seemed concerned that he represent the breed correctly within the parameters of the SV show style for both work, structure and temperament. I would recommend him even if you cited other Euro type breeders.

Lee

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Both Carissima and Dei Precision breed German show line dogs.

VA1 X-Box Dei Precision died suddenly at only 9 years of age. That would make me avoid dogs descended from him.

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
there is an American Show line type kennel named Carissama too I am pretty sure!

Lee

·
Premium Member
11,449 Posts
there is or was an american show line
kennel named karizma down in the US
Probably the same one.....been a few years since I went to any AKC stuff

Lee

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dei Percision isn't producing much around here (they are local to me) and rarely see them in the clubs the last 10 years.

Amalaberg has had a few nice litters, hit or miss with working traits but overall nice temperament. I think health/allergies is an issue though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If I were looking for a nice healthy, stable dog with potential for work (WGSL) I'd contact Hank Bowden or Frank Caputo.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Carissima Kennel was started by Leo Bellini many years ago. When he was killed in a car accident, his daughter took over, and she and her husband run it. It's quite close to where I live. Leo used to show in CKC and AKC shows, and I believe he was also involved with schutzhund, but his daughter is strictly German show line dogs. Carissima's Teba

Karizma is totally different, and is in the States, and is strictly American show line dogs: Karizma's Nicaragua

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live south of the border from you but a coworker of mine actually picked up a showline from AMALABERG. He loves that dog. I know its not on the list you presented but they appear to be inline with what you are looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts