German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying partial cows butchered for my beef for about a year now. I get great meet that is grass fed and no hormones from a local farmer I know and trust and save money in the process. With all my cuts of meet, I also get a few packages of "soup bones". We have never done anything with these bones as we don't really have a desire to make broth from scratch for soup. Would these bones be OK to give to our dog, and if so at what age? (she is 5 months now).

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
I have been buying partial cows butchered for my beef for about a year now. I get great meet that is grass fed and no hormones from a local farmer I know and trust and save money in the process. With all my cuts of meet, I also get a few packages of "soup bones". We have never done anything with these bones as we don't really have a desire to make broth from scratch for soup. Would these bones be OK to give to our dog, and if so at what age? (she is 5 months now).
You are very lucky to have such a source!
We do, and started them at 8 weeks when they came home. We call them "knuckle bones (knees) and shank bones (leg)". They need to be about 2 or 3 times bigger than their mouth. If you choose to give them, only let her have it for a short period of time for starters, as it might give her diarrhea until her gut gets use to it, then freeze it until the next time. Also, it's been my experience to play "give & take" with the bone, trading something for it so that she will allow you to take it from her when necessary.
I'm sure she will enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
They're fine as long as they're given raw. Just be careful with their teeth. Soup bones can be very hard and are capable of cracking teeth if you've got an aggressive chewer.

Other than that... feed away.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
You should make stock from the bones and if feeding RAW, then it's a great natural joint supplement - you have to cook cow bones for about 48 hrs. with about a 1/4 cup of vinegar (to extract the minerals) - bring to room temp. refrigerate overnight and skim off the lard type fat portion and freeze (4 days worth)...add a 1/4 cup a day a few times a week. Mix it up w/chicken frames (sternum for type II collagen) :)

Note: after chilled it should be gelatin

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i gave my pup center cut femur bones. you can have the bone split.
if you split it i suggest scooping out the marrow and give a little bit
once a day to help prevent "dire rear". freeze the left over marrow
because it doesn't last long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts