German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NOT been able to teach my girl, Echo, to shake hands or give a "high five". Sounds ridiculous, given that I have been training dogs for over 30 years and have multiple dogs with multiple AKC obedience titles. Echo absolutely shuts down when I try to teach her to pick up a paw. She has no problem with me, or anyone else, touching her feet, trimming nails, etc. I just don't get it.
Any ideas? I'd love for her to shake hands or give a high five when she is doing therapy dog work. Echo is 7 years old, and as gentle as golden retriever puppy wrapped in cotton.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Have you tried holding a treat in your hand and clicking when Echo paws at it? Then you can work that pawing motion into an actual shake. Maybe that would work?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I teach 'shake' using a clicker and treats.

Pick up her right paw in your right hand and say 'shake' when you perform the action. Click and treat. Repeat. 'Shake', click, treat.

Don't do this until you have actually picked up her paw and are shaking it.

Lisl had this in an hour, and High-5 was literally taught in minutes with no clicker or treats at all. She was a natural for this as she is always raising her paw up.

I too have been teaching basic obedience and stupid pet tricks for over 25 years and some dogs are harder than others to teach the same things to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts