German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Tonight I've spotted a few sores on my puppies back leg hes 7 month old. Last week I spotted one and assumed he had grazed his leg. I've just checked again and there appears to be more. I'm going to book an appointment at the vets in the morning but just wondering if anyone knows what it may be. Thanks everyone I've attached photos

Attachments

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I don't have a clue what that is, but my initial reaction was to think I'd probably spray them with veteracin and watch them. But looking at the photos, with those white, wormy looking things around the sores, I too would want a Vet diagnosis! Hope you'll update us when you find out!

Reactions: cvamoca

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't have a clue what that is, but my initial reaction was to think I'd probably spray them with veteracin and watch them. But looking at the photos, with those white, wormy looking things around the sores, I too would want a Vet diagnosis! Hope you'll update us when you find out!

Those look like maggots, (or possibly warble fly larvae, or screw worms emerging?)

I just put down a fly-struck rooster, whose leg was maggoty, with a really deep infection. Really hard to save a chicken at that point, but a dog is a whole other thing. GET to the vet. Some maggots are beneficial, and we use them in medicine (still gross) for debriding. But screw worms invade good tissue and destroy it. Warbles I've only ever seen on horses but depending where you live....?
If they are maggots. The smaller ones are newer, usually only a day or 2 and the bigger they get the older they are. The only luck I've ever had in fighting fly-strike was with Blu-Kote (for horses) which has just been removed from the market here in Canada. And pure honey. But that wouldn't work on a dog. Go to the vet, do not wait. It's awful to have maggots, etc emerging from your pet.

EDITED-Those are maggots. Yuck.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Yup. They are maggots emerging from that hole. I have 1st hand experience with it in chickens. Yuck. The only thing I won't deal with, not as a nurse or as a farmer, are maggots. Cannot...

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I should have never opened this thread. I can’t. Give me spiders and snakes and lizards and scorpions, basically anything that IS NOT a maggot. So lucky I didn’t eat today.

OP, get the dog to the vet ASAP, not just because it’s disgusting, but because your dog is at risk of losing a leg, or leg tissue at the very least.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I should have never opened this thread. I can’t. Give me spiders and snakes and lizards and scorpions, basically anything that IS NOT a maggot. So lucky I didn’t eat today.

OP, get the dog to the vet ASAP, not just because it’s disgusting, but because your dog is at risk of losing a leg, or leg tissue at the very least.

I knew you were post surgical, may all your wounds be clean ones! Sorry...this is yuck.

And I say that as a looonnngtime owner of both livestock and pets, and have vetted every darn thing within 50 miles if it's avian (bird). so I've had to deal with some gross stuff over the years. Picking maggots out of a chicken's arse, is up there with the worst, IMO.

It happens in hot weather or climates, with non clean injuries, or dirty chicken butts-- attract flies, flies lay eggs--poof--"fly-strike" (maggots) In meat chickens, it's prevalent, because they are gross dirty and because they stay laying down most of their short lives.

Would be pretty horrified to see it in my dogs, horse, geese or anything I have my hands on. Horrified.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Not a *gag* maggot *dry heave* anywhere near my surgical sites. At least, I hope not. I have a cone of shame on, so I can’t really tell.

OP, please update us and let us know how it goes with the vet. I’m not trying to insensitive, just those particular type of worms get me going. I don’t know why. And no one is suggesting you’re a bad or dirty owner, these things happen. You noticed something off, and are seeking vet treatment, which is sometimes all we can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts