German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I dont think this would require the 24/7 vet but got an appointment in couple weeks. Today I noticed Mei has like a twitch in lower back area. She is also pretty sensitive to the touch there too. Has anyone's dog done this before? I looked for ticks and tried a flea comb and damp paper towel trick and didnt indicate fleas. She doesn't scratch at it or anything. Just sensitive. Any experience with this or thoughts? Definitely going to have her rest. She's also in heat by the way.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Rest. Cold compress if she'll let you, but keep the touch light. An xray of the spine is probably going to be needed if this doesn't resolve in a few days.

If there's a muscle spasm going on, it's painful. Many of us humans know exactly what they feel like. The reason I'd like for you to mention spinal xrays as a possibility to your vet is that this breed suffers from spinal problems regularly (especially stenosis). For all the angst over hips, spines are a much bigger worry for me -- many vets don't understand the depth of the genetic spinal issues in the breed, so sometimes they need a nudge.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rest. Cold compress if she'll let you, but keep the touch light. An xray of the spine is probably going to be needed if this doesn't resolve in a few days.

If there's a muscle spasm going on, it's painful. Many of us humans know exactly what they feel like. The reason I'd like for you to mention spinal xrays as a possibility to your vet is that this breed suffers from spinal problems regularly (especially stenosis). For all the angst over hips, spines are a much bigger worry for me -- many vets don't understand the depth of the genetic spinal issues in the breed, so sometimes they need a nudge.
Thanks for reply. I'll definitely ask to get xrays. I hope what you're saying isnt the case but I'll get them to be on safe side. She's still pretty active and runs/plays and doesn't show signs of it hurting bad enough to not play. I'm going to read more into the spine disease you're talking about.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Something my previous vet told me when I was trying to get my boy in sooner for something but not exactly an emergency, is that she use to keep a morning appt space free just in case an urgent call came in. This allowed an appt without the emergency expense. She told me to call first thing in the morning so I could get in.

You vet May have something like this in place also if you need her to be seen sooner.

Reactions: Mei

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely ask about that. Last I talked with them they didn't bring that up so I'll call back. I was getting sick to my stomach reading about steniosis last night. I seriously hope that's not the case. Sounds more like a hereditary thing but I'm sure could happen. She's in good spirits this morning. Ate a big dinner last night and ate all this morning.
She's just enjoyin the AC right now and chillin.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Fwiw, she told this to me on the Q T. I don’t think they advertised it. Also, they may not have a waiting list for cancelled appts but you can call every day to see,if there was a cancellation. I have done that quite a few time for me, kids as well as my fuzzy buddies.

I wish her well with this. Her eyes do look bright. :)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to call every morning. They had two cancellations this morning and could have got in if I called. They recommend to call just before 0800 to check. Mei did have a grooming session couple days ago. I'm starting to think the lady could have been way too aggressive with the brush. Who knows. Still getting that xray. Yay, insurance.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I hope she gets in and hope it is just a bit of brush burn.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope she gets in and hope it is just a bit of brush burn.
I agree, thanks! So, a few days ago she had a grooming session. I'm beginning to wonder if the person was too aggressive with the brush or a reaction from whatever soap was used. I texted her asking these things, not implying anything about her back being sore, and still today no response...

Still going with xrays.

·
Super Moderator
8,906 Posts
because you mentioned insurance and seems you have your heart set on x rays, i’ll say this... she seems fine now, therefore i might slow down my approach and see what the vet says based on their physical exam. neck and back pain can become very complex very quickly. simple x rays can turn into the x rays themselves, possible sedation, having them sent out to a radiologist, pain meds, bloodwork prior to starting the meds and sometimes after depending on the drug.... all of this may or may not produce any answers - there are things that don’t show up on x rays. next will be a neuro consult... their pain point test is way more involved and if your GSD is a big baby like all of mine have been - by the time they get towards the end of the test your dog may cry or wince any amount of pressure. OR your dog has a high pain tolerance. both responses can result in the exam being inconclusive, requiring more advanced diagnostics (mri, ct scan, spinal tap, etc).... which means general anesthesia and so on. in CA everything mentioned is easily $5-6k+

so... make sure you are very clear on your insurance policy and also not planning to switch companies. of course switching companies there is the obvious issues of pre existing conditions... but even within your own insurance - will they cover everything mentioned? do you have the deductible and remaining %/costs that will fall on you? some insurance will only cover what’s absolutely necessary at the time... others will hit you later if decide to stop diagnostics at any point w/o an answer/diagnosis and if Mei were to have any back issues later they can refuse to cover it feeling it was related to this issue that you stopped pursuing.

just some things to think about....

also make sure your vet is clear on how things need to be documented for insurance purposes - this could make or break your claim later.

best of luck.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks @Fodder for the great information! A lot of the stuff I read was from my insurance, so that's good you confirmed that. I didnt know so much was involved with getting an xray. I will see what the vet has to say. It's a great vet. A VCA animal hospital. I've taken Mei there just to weigh her and give her treats and do a little training there to ease her stress from going. And the staff seems to like her too.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As the days go on from when I first noticed this, things have seemed to subside. She doesn't mind being petted in lower back area anymore. I really do think the groomer did a number on her back. Poor Mei. She still hasn't responded to me. I also brushed her back with one them rubber brushes and she seemed to enjoy it lol. Just sat there, tongue out, eyes barely open. OMG though, I think I've got the last of her winter coat finally with that rubber brush too.

I'm still going to take her in with the scheduled appointment and have the vet check her out. She's lost about 8 lbs since starting her heat. She kinda tends to lose her appetite during heats. She should be out of it completely in a couple weeks. The bleeding has stopped couple days ago and she doesn't smell anymore lol. I could also talk with the vet and plan her spay for early winter/late fall. Want to wait a few months after this heat just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the great responses. I'll give a verdict after the vet visit. Maybe I'll take her there for a training session early this week! I need to restock on the heartworm medication anyways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts