German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now we have a couple issues, but the biggest on is at night, usually between 10 and midnight (im a night owl) she gets this big burst of energy and wants to eat me...lol She starts biting a lot and even though she prefers to try and eat my hands, arms, legs, toes, etc. she will also try chewing on the couch and I often either have to distract her with one of the many chew toys we got her (because of this behavior), her stuffed animals, or a pork chomp treat I don't know what else to do about it, but it's gotten to the point that it's driving me nuts. Throughout the day she can be, as we call, "bitey" at times, but man it seems like that night time moment really gets her crazy. On top of that, she starts barking too, and the kids are sound asleep right behind us. As a parent with 3 sleeping kids (Twin 4yr. old boys, and a 2yr. old girl), the last thing I want is for her to wake up the kids with her insanity. How do you try to mitigate this?

·
Super Moderator
6,996 Posts
you have young kids so i imagine you know what a sleepy child is like when they’re fighting nap time... maybe not the cranky part, but the hyperactive part.

she sounds to me like a tired puppy. you’re a night owl, but she doesn’t have to be... get her in the routine of going to bed when you put the kids down for bed. make sure she’s fed, exercised & pottied, then lights out.

is she crate trained? this will be the simplest way to accomplish this.

be prepared for a protest and the potential of kids being woken up while she transitions... her current routine didn’t happen in a day so it won’t be resolved in a day either.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I agree with Foder, but want to emphasize the exercise step! My puppy always went nuts at about 9 pm. I'm pretty sure if you can her out for some active play shortly before bedtime, she'll transition much more quietly! Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have young kids so i imagine you know what a sleepy child is like when they’re fighting nap time... maybe not the cranky part, but the hyperactive part.

she sounds to me like a tired puppy. you’re a night owl, but she doesn’t have to be... get her in the routine of going to bed when you put the kids down for bed. make sure she’s fed, exercised & pottied, then lights out.

is she crate trained? this will be the simplest way to accomplish this.

be prepared for a protest and the potential of kids being woken up while she transitions... her current routine didn’t happen in a day so it won’t be resolved in a day either.
You might be on to something, and it may actually be my fault. The breeder said he had her crate trained and could leave her in it for 8 hours and even when no ones home and she'd have no problems. When we got her here, we were not nearly as successful and for the sake of having kids not woken up, we decided that she could sleep with us. That has its own issues, but it seems to be the better choice. My wife and I have our room downstairs now. Kids are upstairs and the crate is currently upstairs. Maybe what needs to happen is when my wife goes to bed, the puppy can go to bed in her crate, but downstairs? I'm not sure what the best approach is. Any advice on getting her back into being crate trained would be a huge help. Thank you

I should also add, shes kind of decided that she's MY dog, so I'm sure some of the protesting will be that I'm staying up late and she's getting tucked into bed without me....lol However, I have been trying to make a point for other people to spend time with her so that im not the ONLY one in her world.

·
Registered
210 Posts
**She starts biting a lot and even though she prefers to try and eat my hands, arms, legs, toes, etc. she will also try chewing on the couch and I often either have to distract her with one of the many chew toys we got her (because of this behavior), her stuffed animals, or a pork chomp treat *

You are rewarding the behavior. Agree with those above who suggest crating at whatever time you want her to quiet down.

Crate training advice. Move the crate downstairs. Put her in there prior to her getting amped up at night. Do not respond in any way if she whines or barks. It will stop if you ignore it. If you give in just once, you will have a much harder time with this. If you stick to your guns, she will settle down when you put her in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
**She starts biting a lot and even though she prefers to try and eat my hands, arms, legs, toes, etc. she will also try chewing on the couch and I often either have to distract her with one of the many chew toys we got her (because of this behavior), her stuffed animals, or a pork chomp treat *

You are rewarding the behavior. Agree with those above who suggest crating at whatever time you want her to quiet down.

Crate training advice. Move the crate downstairs. Put her in there prior to her getting amped up at night. Do not respond in any way if she whines or barks. It will stop if you ignore it. If you give in just once, you will have a much harder time with this. If you stick to your guns, she will settle down when you put her in there.
So, on that, I do have a little update. She does bark and whine at first but maybe 5-10 minutes later she stops. I have noticed that the barking and whining seems to come back in about 2 hour intervals. I might still be failing a little bit because she wakes me up (roughly 2 hour intervals) whining and barking. I eventually can fall back asleep, but I keep thinking "What if she needs to go outside?" or "what if she does have to go outside, it wouldn't be good for her to sit in the crate until I wake up at 7:30" So in some way, and due to my lack of experience, I am struggling with what exactly to do. Of course I often end up putting her outside, but last night 2....maybe 3 of this times, she was seriously outside the door for maybe 60 seconds, and didn't go potty, and was scrathing the door to get in, so that's frustrating. On top of that, she wants to bolt upstairs when I bring her in. Not sure if it's that she wants out to run around, eat or drink, but I guess that's all were some of my new questions stem from.

1. I'm assuming letting her eat or drink in the middle of the night would be a bad idea?
2. If I let her out before going in the crate, to go potty, is there any real concern if shes barking and whining consistently every 2-ish hours through the night?

Considering our current crate set up, it's definitely not ideal, and I want to make sure shes comfortable as well. I'm planning to go to Petsmart today (so I don't have to wait for chewy) to get a new, bigger (48") for her, which will be the wire style along with a bed/mat for it. Granted I have my responsibility to train her, but I also feel if I make her comfortable that will probably be beneficial as well. :)

Thank you all for the help with this so far.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, now you know that she doesn't have to go to the bathroom, so ignore her during the night requests. I have not had any luck with pads inside the crate. Even the "indestructible" Kong one got chewed up. They are just fine one the plastic tray that comes with the crate.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think it's normal for dogs to be briefly energised after dinner just before bed time. Sometimes my dog gets the 'zoomies' on his last potty. Anyhow, my dog is also similar, has high prey drive so anything that moves fascinates him and he shows it by jumping, biting, nipping etc. Teaching him a solid stay should do it. Train him by jumping around acting stupid in front of him and have the stay command. Repeat. So he can act crazy all he wants but when you say stay, he stays still. Otherwise.... Crate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another small update. Still working through the biting stuff, but I did get her a 48x30 wire crate yesterday and it seems to have made maybe a small impact. After I got the inside of it set up she walked in the crate on her own and since it was about bed time (9:00-ish), I took advantage of that moment and shut the door. She laid down and there was no barking or whining until maybe 12:00am. However, to be fair, we did go meet up with the breeders and Layla got to have a family reunion with her brother and mom, so there was A LOT of sibling wrestling, running around, and other shenanigans, so she was probably exhausted too. Im actually a little excite to see how things go tonight and the nights to come.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts