German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just rescued Sophie(2yr 6m , pure bred, great dog) from a local shelter and she's a little thin. Not to the point where she would be considered malnourished or unhealthy, just thinner than she should be. I was just curious if anyone had any advice as to high calorie foods or brands to help her gain back the weight. She has a healthy appetite and I know she won't gain it all over night. Just looking for input. Thanks

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
32,405 Posts
She'll put on weight. I've found that shelters tend to underfeed a bit and the dogs seem to be dehydrated. Just put her on a good food and feed per the weight she should be.

What food are you currently feeding?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I adopted my girl Abby (about 2yrs) from a shelter, she wasn't eating well, (glad yours is!) so I picked up some canned food to entice her to eat. A couple of table spoons of Pedegree canned along with an extra half ration of kibble morning and night fattened her up pretty quick. About the time her appetite picked up (less than two weeks?) her weight was where I wanted it. The other thing I noticed was that the more exercise she got, the faster she put on the weight. The shelter spayed her just before we got her, so I thought it would be better to give her a couple of days to rest, but she had other plans :) she needed the walks right away, and giving her time off didn't help her gain weight.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If she's not malnourished or unhealthy, then you don't need to put any weight on her. These dogs are best kept lean.

Can you feel her ribs when you run your fingers lightly across them, but not really see them jutting out? Are her hip bones jutting out? Others can describe it better, but an awful lot people think their dogs are too thin when actually they are just right, including me in the past. That's why I ask.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
She'll put on weight. I've found that shelters tend to underfeed a bit and the dogs seem to be dehydrated. Just put her on a good food and feed per the weight she should be.
I agree, any good food will help her put on weight

A proper loving home will do wonders for her, both physically and mentally :)

·
Registered
32,405 Posts
We feed her the Nutro Natural Choice, our other shepherd has gastro problems and that was the only food he liked. She definitely has an appetite so eating isn't a problem

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Personally, I hate that food and had 3 sick dogs on it. it appears to be a decent food
Nutro Natural Choice Dog Food | Review and Rating
So if you are happy with it, stick with it.

I feed Canidae All Life Stages to two of my dogs and they do well on it
Canidae Dog Food | Review and Rating

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Dewormed, checked for heartworms (if not already done).... and then just feed 2-3 meals a day for a few weeks. If she does not gain weight then you may look into other foods or more health testing.
I agree with the above posters that if she appears healthy and has a good appetite I would not, at this point, worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts