German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I go back and forth between grain free kibble, raw, and homemade... Just depends on cost. Also, with work and travel, I like keeping grain free around. So, all BS aside... I keep hearing about this Kirkland stuff. I don't have a membership, and it's not in my city, but I can get there and get in if needed... but I can't even find a website!!! I mean, I know they say it's Diamond Owned, but ****, even TOTW has a website.. what's up with Kirkland? I can't find any info or ingredients list for their Grain Free foods either!!!! Anyone? I mean... I can't beat 40# for like.. $23 but not at my dogs expense!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
KIRKLAND SIGNATURE RANGE CHICKEN GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude protein …………24% min
Crude fat …………16% min
Crude fiber …………4% min
Moisture …………10% min
Calcium …………1% min
Phosphorus …………0.8% min
Zinc …………200 mg/kg min
Selenium …………0.4 mg/kg min
Vitamin E …………150IU/kg min
Omega-6 Fatty Acids………… 2.5% min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids …………0.4% min
Glucosamine Hydrochloride………… 300 mg/kg

Here you go! They have quite a few formulas all I have tried except the new grain free one and was pleased with. If my lab didn't have so many food allergies we would still be on it. It is cheap but still decent ingredient wise and worth it to stock up since you don't have one close.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well gosh with that list at a lower cost i may switch the dogs to that when we get to MD. We'll see how things go. But i'd have to get a costco membership and i'm kinda attached to my Sam's Club one....

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is what i feed plus raw lamb and eggs from our chickens and sheep.i also give veggies from the garden when in season then they have sweet potato and fish crackers for treats that i bake for them, sometimes i use sugar free peanut butter too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I feed the lamb also. 28$ for 40 lbs here in Canada. Jin's been on it for 3 weeks now and he's doing great. Switched off Acana. I use the money I saved to buy 20 lb boxes of chicken backs to supplement the kibble. Also supplement with fish oil and vitamin E.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I am aiming towards the grain free. Anyone know that price?????
.. top two ingredients are "salmon MEAL, Sweet Potatoes'. I would love to be able to feed them something that was less expensive, because I could put the extra money into other things... like more Raw for their raw meals, etc... I just haven't seen enough to decide! I want some honest opinions. I know it's not as good as Orijen, etc, but I don't like that dark, HUGE poos that wilderness gave them, and I like Nutri Source but it's only at one store... and they are all 50+.

And, Crush, Thanks. I was searching Kirkland the whole time..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kirkland/Costco

Here is a link to Dog Food Reviews I got somewhere off this board.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I was feeding Diamond Maintance and had changed to Prism, per advice from the feed store I buy from. They told me Prism was better for them than Diamond. Prism was not on the list so I emailed the Dog Food Advisor, requesting info on Prism. He promply emailed me back and said he would, and it showed up a couple months later. Diamond and Prism are both crap with a 2 star rating. Kirkland has a 4 star rating, so I immediatly changed 5 of my 6 GSD to their food. Except the Kirkland Healthy Maintance has a 3 star. The 6th GSD has anal gland cancer, and I have him on Orijen for Seniors (5 star rating) I have 9 cats and also changed them over to Kirkland brand as they offer 2 kinds. I have more than gotten back my $50.00 membership fee in savings. The kitty litter I use is also cheaper there.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eh, getting a lot of mixed info, could someone possibly change my title and switch it from Kirkland to Natures Domain? I want to find out the price and quality of the Natures Domain!!!!!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
so do I, I feed TOTW...seems Natures Domain may be a little lower protein....anxious to hear what the "foodies" will say.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Psh, too bad I had someone taking me to go grab a bag tomorrow, so I called the local Costco ( since I am not a member, didn't wanna make someone drive all the way there, and waste mine driving), and they tell me " the only food we have is.. lamb adn rice, or chicken and rice). bastards.... I need to complain!!!! Sooooo TOTW Sierra Mountain it is for the time being, as I got some Primal samples, and it was only $40 for the 30LB bag... oh well

·
Registered
490 Posts
I honestly don't care. I eat mcdonalds, burger king, bags of chips, beer, ect..

I don't expect the super best for my dog. I wouldn't force my kids to only drink water, eat steak, salad and yogurt all the time.

I feel Arlo the purple bag of Kirkland food. Befor the Parvo, he bulked up really nice. He had an awesome body build in a little over a month.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I personally would go with a few different grain-included foods, of good quality, but my AmStaff has the WORST grain allergies. While doing the raw and home cooked method for the last 8 months, we did our own process of elimination, and she is allergic to Corn, Wheat, and all rice... Oatmeal though agrees with her!!! But, not sure abotu Barley, which is in MOST oatmeal inclusive foods.. so we just are sticking with Grain Free...

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
TOTW is good food and if it's all you can get now it's nothing to feel bad about. I hear the Costco grain free is mostly potato anyway so not the best quality of grain free out there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I honestly don't care. I eat mcdonalds, burger king, bags of chips, beer, ect..

I don't expect the super best for my dog. I wouldn't force my kids to only drink water, eat steak, salad and yogurt all the time.

I feel Arlo the purple bag of Kirkland food. Befor the Parvo, he bulked up really nice. He had an awesome body build in a little over a month.

Bulking up is generally the opposite of what you want to do in a dysplastic-prone breed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bulking up is generally the opposite of what you want to do in a dysplastic-prone breed.
How? Better to have a skinny dog or a healthy dog? Arlo is at roughly 80lbs. About 20 under his healthy weight. He doesn't look right. But he's a king shepherd.

He craps less and has more energy and his coat is a lot softer to the touch. Prior his was on blue bag crap from walmart. Puppy chow I think it was called, until he was 7ish monyhs

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha... soooo off subject, I am not going with the Costco stuff.. butt... I hear ya on the crapping less thing. My dogs are Wilderness by Blue Buffalo when the snowstorm froze all the roads and it was all I could get to ( petsmart was walking distance, so that's where we went!), and I swear he was dropping piles the size of a medium sized dog, two times a day!!! Ugh, I miss RAW

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearl barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and vitamin E), egg product, beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, kelp, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
KIRKLAND SIGNATURE RANGE CHICKEN GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude protein …………24% min
Crude fat …………16% min
Crude fiber …………4% min
Moisture …………10% min
Calcium …………1% min
Phosphorus …………0.8% min
Zinc …………200 mg/kg min
Selenium …………0.4 mg/kg min
Vitamin E …………150IU/kg min
Omega-6 Fatty Acids………… 2.5% min
Omega-3 Fatty Acids …………0.4% min
Glucosamine Hydrochloride………… 300 mg/kg

Here you go! They have quite a few formulas all I have tried except the new grain free one and was pleased with. If my lab didn't have so many food allergies we would still be on it. It is cheap but still decent ingredient wise and worth it to stock up since you don't have one close.
Thanks!

That's what I feed Deuce, we do have a membership and a Costco within 5 min. of our house. It's about $27.00 for a 45lb bag.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
How? Better to have a skinny dog or a healthy dog? Arlo is at roughly 80lbs. About 20 under his healthy weight. He doesn't look right. But he's a king shepherd.

He craps less and has more energy and his coat is a lot softer to the touch. Prior his was on blue bag crap from walmart. Puppy chow I think it was called, until he was 7ish monyhs
A King Shepherd is NOT a GSD. if someone sold you a GSD and told you he was a King Shepherd, or vice versa, you got took.

Skinny is not what is meant. GSD's should be lean without any added bulk to put extra weight, i.e. stress, on their joints.

I'll take lean and healthy. There is no reason to have extra fat on any dog.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts