German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am heading down the busy road to the petstore and notice a couple walking there dogs in the parking lot. This an industrial strip center with parking in front but only 50 feet from the road. The issue was they had them off leash, weaving in between the randomly parked cars. So I get to the petstore(same center) and have to wait to take my dog out until they passed the petstore. I take my dog out, on leash, go in and then come out to find them walking back again, heading past the petstore. I stop to let them pass and felt compelled to let them know how stupid that was. Not that my dog is going to go after the little dogs, but it if it happened, they would have been a snack, much less the danger of the road and cars in the parking lot. Their response was "our Jack's (Russell"s) are very well trained". I replied, "yea, right before they get run over". As i drove away they still had not leashed the dogs.

Sometimes people get stuck on stupid.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Their dogs were on leash and under control, but you still felt the need to add your two cents for...what reason?

I'm confused. I'm gonna try and reread your post again, but I really don't get it. You didn't like them walking by your car?

I've had to walk my dog in between cars that are parked many times to get where I needed to go, its no more dangerous than anything else if one is careful.

So, like I said, really confused! I think I am missing something.

Edit: HA, I get it now! I seen my mistake! Ok, now it makes MUCH more sense to me! Unless their dogs have a solid recall and stay right with them, I wouldn't let my dog off leash like that, even if the dog didn't run around and cause problems, I've know people who try to hit dogs on purpose. -_-

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Amazing, right? :rolleyes:

Forget about public leash laws that are most likely being ignored, even with the most well trained dogs there's always a chance for error OR how about a motorist not paying attention. At least when my dog is leashed I have a better chance of saving him by holding tight to his leash & not allowing him to take another step.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their dogs were on leash and under control, but you still felt the need to add your two cents for...what reason?

I'm confused. I'm gonna try and reread your post again, but I really don't get it. You didn't like them walking by your car?

I've had to walk my dog in between cars that are parked many times to get where I needed to go, its no more dangerous than anything else if one is careful.

So, like I said, really confused! I think I am missing something.

Edit: HA, I get it now! I seen my mistake! Ok, now it makes MUCH more sense to me! Unless their dogs have a solid recall and stay right with them, I wouldn't let my dog off leash like that, even if the dog didn't run around and cause problems, I've know people who try to hit dogs on purpose. -_-
Even if you think your dog has a perfect recall, why risk taking the chance in that situation. Besides, they were not paying attention to both dogs. One dog was behind them and the other was in front of them while they were casually looking at the store fronts.

Most, if there to observe, would have cringed at the risk they were taking.

·
Banned
363 Posts
My lab has never failed a recall... never. But does that mean I'd take the chance that she would? Never in a million years. If we're off my property, she's leashed.
I simply care too much for her to risk something happening.

Sometimes, stupid just runs rampent and there's nothing we can do about it.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Even if a dog has perfect recall, an onlooker doesn't know that. What if someone is afraid of dogs or has a reactive dog that is triggered by loose dogs. I'm so tired of people making excuses for not obeying leash law.

I yelled at a lady playing fetch with her dog a few days ago. The dog was focused on the ball but the owner was in the middle of the footpath throwing the ball toward the lake. There was no way to get around her. While the dog was ball focused, he was pausing and eying me and Tempest. Tempest is dog friendly and doesn't have any leash reactivity but Havoc would have been a handful. The dog's owner was so oblivious that she didn't even see me so I yelled "Leash your dog!" and she yelled back, "He's not bothering anyone!"

Really, cause he was bothering me! I was trying to avoid her and the dog but she was throwing that ball right in front of me! I told her that it was illegal to have her dog off leash and that the off- leash park was five blocks south. She just kept throwing the ball until I took my cellphone out and pretended to take her picture and told her I was calling A.C. I was shaking. I hate confrontation but I couldn't believe this woman's attitude.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It really bothers me when I see that. I've seen people walking dogs off leash on busy streets and through cross walks. I don't get it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
did the dog come near you or your dog? was Havoc with you?
did your dog react? did a problem arise?

Even if a dog has perfect recall, an onlooker doesn't know that. What if someone is afraid of dogs or has a reactive dog that is triggered by loose dogs. I'm so tired of people making excuses for not obeying leash law.

I yelled at a lady playing fetch with her dog a few days ago. The dog was focused on the ball but the owner was in the middle of the footpath throwing the ball toward the lake. There was no way to get around her. While the dog was ball focused, he was pausing and eying me and Tempest. Tempest is dog friendly and doesn't have any leash reactivity but Havoc would have been a handful. The dog's owner was so oblivious that she didn't even see me so I yelled "Leash your dog!" and she yelled back, "He's not bothering anyone!"

Really, cause he was bothering me! I was trying to avoid her and the dog but she was throwing that ball right in front of me! I told her that it was illegal to have her dog off leash and that the off- leash park was five blocks south. She just kept throwing the ball until I took my cellphone out and pretended to take her picture and told her I was calling A.C. I was shaking. I hate confrontation but I couldn't believe this woman's attitude.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
My lab has never failed a recall... never. But does that mean I'd take the chance that she would? Never in a million years. If we're off my property, she's leashed.
I simply care too much for her to risk something happening.

Sometimes, stupid just runs rampent and there's nothing we can do about it.
WOW! That sounds extremely impressive - to NEVER (even in training!) fail a recall! What a dog! And trainer!

I do assume that we have the same definition of a successful recall - owner calls, dog comes immediately and directly to you and sits/stands right in front of the caller - right?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I don't take clipper on a walk thru our neighborhood because there are a few people who let their little dogs out loose in their front yards. I guess they figure a little dog can't hurt anyone! There are a few other bigger dogs that are loose from time to time. I personally wouldn't take a dog out without a leash, too many things could happen, dogs running up, cars, cats!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
did the dog come near you or your dog? was Havoc with you?
did your dog react? did a problem arise?
Yes, the dog was near enough to make me nervous.
I have a stress fracture in my foot and actually walked off the level path and down a hill to avoid the dog and owner. The owner of the loose dog had already caused me some pain and inconvenience.
I was obeying the leash law and the other owner was not. It is that simple,

·
Registered
754 Posts
Even if a dog has perfect recall..that's nor going to do much once he runs into a busy street.

Dog runs to the middle of a busy street, owner notices and calls the dog back. Dog turns and runs back. There is STILL a good chance of the dog getting hit on the way through the street or on the way back. Not a responsible ownership decision at all imo

·
Registered
457 Posts
I get so tired of all the loose dogs running every where. Can not even go for a walk anymore without running in to them. The law says your dog must be on a leash at all times when out of your yard and it does not matter how well your dog is trained.I feel sorry for the little dogs whose owners put them at risk but the owners of big dogs are putting mine at risk too, if they come up and start a fight with my dog. They are ruining other peoples right to walk their dog without problems

·
Registered
77 Posts
People having their dogs off leash really bother me as well. I know that some dogs are well trained but I honestly feel that most of the time if the owner is responsible enough to put the time into training their dog, they are usually responsible enough to obey the leash law, and that the majority of people who let their dogs off leash have untrained dogs. Maybe friendly, but untrained. I also think small dogs are the worst of it. In fact I just experienced an aggressive off leash small dog the other day at a park that approached my on leash DA boxer while the owner of the small dog laughed. I am also tired of hearing "Don't worry he's friendly" as another dog approaches mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm sick of walking through places with leash laws when people have their dogs off-leash. There are off-leash alternatives in our town.

I get wanting to let your dog off-leash if they're well-behaved. However, my dogs are leash reactive to off-leash dogs - which is why I'm walking them in areas that require a leash in the first place for their daily exercise. Your dog may be friendly - and mine is too - unless another dog comes bounding up to them at full speed - at which point they react. It's annoying - because my dogs are generally good - but when people see them getting reactive to situations, those people think our dogs are the ones with the behavior issues - when it's the actions of the other dogs that set them off.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I, while recently walking Archer on a narrow stretch of footpath by a busy road, encountered a lady walking my way with her own unleashed dog trailing along a short distance behind her.
She passed me by and her dog took one look at Archer and diverted himself out into the middle of said busy road. It scared me so much I about faced with Archer and passed her by, pausing only to tell her her dog was out on the road. She went back to get him, clipped him onto his lead and walked back towards me. 'He never does that!' said she, looking genuinely startled. Indeed, and perhaps he might never do again, but it only takes one time for a dog to get a wallop of a car.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Yeah, dogs are dogs and owners need to prepare for the unexpected. My MiL decided to take my three dogs on an off leash walk in the woods and a great deer chase happened. My two GSD X returned to my MiL but my pit-- who had never been off leash--got lost and ended up on top of a sheer embankment. I almost had a heart attack when I saw her face looking down on me and when she saw me she came straight down the cliff. She managed to get down in one piece. Never off-leash again--except in fenced pastures.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts