German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cute story...

My daughter was just sitting on the floor with Blitz, Blitz had her head in my daughters lap. So I hear Brooke say to to Blitz, Ill give you a treat if you let me look at your teeth (no flames, I was right there and trust Blitz for this interaction, she was totally relaxed) So anyway, Blitz just looks up at her like "do what you must" So Brooke gently lifts her lips and checks all her teeth (she's been trying to keep track of puppy teeth lost, she found one the other day and put it under Blitz's pillow LOL) So anyway Blitz lays perfectly still and lets her do a full inspection and as soon as she stops Blitz jumps up and runs to the treat closet! It was like she totally knew what Brooke (she's 5) wanted, let her and knew her reward for doing so! GSDs surprise me everyday!:wub:

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
LOL! That is so cute!!!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I too am impressed at how much mine understands. I think if they are going to learn anything, the word treat would be one of the first. I use that word to get mine to pee on command: "Peeps for treats!" ;-)
You have a nice and nice looking dog.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Very cute - why would you worry that people would flame you for letting your daughter play with the dog?

Our toddler sized son used to play all kinds of ways with our female GSD, and we never worried that she would bite him or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That is great :) They really are smart. My dog has learned to spell. The kids as me "can he have a T-R-E-A-T?" and he jumps up and runs to the kitchen. lol.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cute - why would you worry that people would flame you for letting your daughter play with the dog?
I wasn't really, but I have heard some people upset that kids are "bothering" a dog....but I would not call what my daughter was doing bothering at all...Some dogs might not like kids poking at them but Blitz actually thrives on my kids doing anything to her as long as she's getting their attention!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Too cute. :) I think it's lovely that your daughter and Blitz have a trusting relationship.
My son came home from dog school on Sunday with Shadow, apparently she was really well behaved and did every thing he asked of her, even the stuff she hasn't been taught. (she's always better when her boyfriend, Kujo isn't at school) Anyway, the instructor said to my son she's never met a dog that can read or understand a human like Shadow can. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think our dogs know a lot of things. they know things that we as owners
don't train them for.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats awesome Casey. Believe she'll keep surprising you too. Shasta is a total PITA but she makes surprises me regularly. I love shepherds!

·
Registered
104 Posts
How cute!! It's so wonderful that you have such trust in the dog, and that you are encouraging such a special relationship between the Blitz and your daughter.

I agree that GSDs are remarkably intuitive dogs! But isn't it funny how even young GSDs can just "know" things like that, but then you need to train them to, say, not gnaw on table legs?

Now I know that there are big differences there behavior-wise (and yes, proper supervision prevents puppy-destruction), but it's something my grandmother would always joke about her dogs, and I still find amusing.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
What an adorable story :wub: How cute is it that your daughter put Blitz's tooth under Blitz's pillow awwwwwwwww :wub:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How cute!! It's so wonderful that you have such trust in the dog, and that you are encouraging such a special relationship between the Blitz and your daughter.
While I would never have my kids do certain things to an unknown adult dog (and yes, I have taught them the difference) with our puppies I have always been big on having my kids to feed sometimes, give water, sit next to them while eating or chewing treats and teaching our pup to obey the drop and leave it command from them. I believe if the dog gets used to these things from the beginning they always see it as normal and I have never had a issue with trust in those situations.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What an adorable story :wub: How cute is it that your daughter put Blitz's tooth under Blitz's pillow awwwwwwwww :wub:

OMG...I switched it out with a dog biscuit the next day before my daughter woke up, well Blitz could smell it and kept trying to dig it up...it was so funny trying to keep it there until she got up!:crazy: How do you tell your dog that there is a treat in their bed andd they are not allowed to have it!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
OMG...I switched it out with a dog biscuit the next day before my daughter woke up, well Blitz could smell it and kept trying to dig it up...it was so funny trying to keep it there until she got up!:crazy: How do you tell your dog that there is a treat in their bed andd they are not allowed to have it!
LMAO fantastic parent right there, the things we do to and for our kids and pups. That is too funny I can see poor blitz going nuts like woah theres a treat in my bed how the heck did I leave that last night then this look like OMG why wont you let me eat it. Its my treat AND my bed this sucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The get it...

My GSD, Jasko, can also sense moods. Once, my wife and I were about to get into a silly disagreement over something minor. But, I guess, as we all do at one time, or another, we thought it was a big deal. Anyway, Jasko was in the kitchen by my wife and when it looked like we were about to argue, he looked at both of us, and hurried to his keenel. Mind you, we don't yell at home, and we never, ever hit him (I think people that hit dogs lack training themselves). He just figured that the mood was not positive, and he didn't want anything to do with it. As he walked away briskly, my wife and I looked at one another and began to laugh. Jasko had not only managed to wisk himself away, but he lightened the mood and we realized that we were being silly. That's why we love him!

Our two year old daughter grew up with Jasko. He was eight months old when she was born. Jasko was trained at the Tarheel K9 in North Carolina (spent six weeks there), and we have maintained his training at home. Plus, we never leave the two unsupervised together. Nevertheless, that beautiful 90 lb GSD is the most gentle creature with our daughter. But, if you are a stranger to our home... that's another matter - he is very protective.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts