German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was at a local on leash only park.

I had Ilda out first just walking and working on focus and OB. As we walked one of the paved paths I noticed people having a picnic at a table close to the walk, but tucked somewhat in the bushes/trees. It was a beautiful day and the scene made me smile, family picnic.

Ilda alerted a little as we walked by (just that quick look and pause you know) and the family smiled at us but stayed seated. All cool, Ilda refocused quickly and off we went down the path.

Next up Smitty. I got him out and the family was still munching away at lunch at the picnic table and as I walked by with Smitty I noticed them watching a bit too intently, but I just kept on. I took Smitty into a clearing a short distance away to practice OB. Shortly a couple with a BEAUTIFUL Golden walked by. Young Golden, I could tell they were working on his leash manners and he was settling and doing well too. I waved and complimented them on their lovely dog. They waved and said thankyou and kept on with their training walk (all good!).

Then I went back to working with Smitty when I heard some slightly raised voices. The couple with the golden was trying to get by the picnic table and one of the adults at the table was trying to stop them. I stopped and watched in amazement as the man got up from the table with a tupperware container of some sort of food and was literally walking beside the dog and putting the container under the golden's nose!

My jaw dropped, the couple with golden, said a couple of words kept on walking, gave their dog a little tug to keep him by their side. The man did give up after about walking 7 or so strides next to the dog.

I could not believe it!

I have to say at that moment I realized that's why Ilda alerted a little, because they were staring intently at us. I really believe they didn't mess with us because both of my dogs are German Shepherds.

Moral of the story, sometimes it's good to have a 'scary' dog. :D

I don't know if I could have kept my temper as well as the couple with the golden did!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My instincts, as I was watching the incident unfold, was they wanted to engage the dog and were just being unruly, sort of in this 'here hold my beer an' watch this' kind of looking for some "fun" trouble way.

One of the men (young adult) later got up stopped and watched me working Smitty. He stayed back and I made sure to say the commands a little louder in German....just for effect you know. ;)

Crazy. What were the picnic table people trying to do? I don't get it. Steal a dog?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just your average idiots. Some people can be really stupid.
Your right though. Your GSDs kept them from bugging you.
Good show.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks and I think the couple with the Golden handled it very well too.

I didn't see them again, but would have complimented them on their training and the way they handled that situation. They kept calm (good for the dog) and kept as focused as they could on their walk. Good on them!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
What a bizarre story! Yes I bet when the people at the picnic saw your GSDs they thought twice about approaching.

Up my street there is man in his 30's that is a little OCD and thinks dogs are dirty and frequently has yelled at or tried to hose people walking by with their dogs if the dog step foot on his lawn. Except for me and Molly. He seems in awe of my GSD and likes to make small talk with us a we walk by. Could be that Molly has a good heel and does not romp all over the lawn. People do react different around GSDs vs other dogs.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
People are odd. My husband took RIley to Home Depot once and this lady walked up to Riley pur her hand on his nose and ruffled back and forth. My husband said, "that's not a good way to approach a dog." She said, "if he bites me I'll sue you" and did it again rougher. Thankfully Riley did not react at all. I don't let people get that close while we are out, but crazy people are out there.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah it's not always good though... I remember once when we were at a festival, one women jumped/reversed several feet backwards (slamming into people walking behind her) and shrieked when she saw Bianca, who was heeling next to me and was wearing a pink harness, bandana and a balloon. Another woman started screaming when her toddler ran towards Bianca who was calmly sitting next to me as I waited in line for a smoothie... Then when she saw I was relaxed/smiling at the girl, the woman asked if it was ok and I said my dog was friendly so she let her kid come up and pet Bianca after all. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh my gosh, reading the responses, human beans are more messed up then dogs mostly! :eek:

@chicagocanine, I hear ya but I guess because I live in a more suburban/rural setting I don't get a lot of negative reactions like that. Over 90% of the time people are complimentary of my dogs. They may keep a distance but they don't usually get as nervous as some of the stories I've read here.

OH and speaking of humans...I went to a different park today AND

A human fight broke out at the dog park!

No really....a couple of women really got into a shouting fest in the middle of the off leash area. :crazy:

I don't go in there, too many off leash humans, I just practice around the outside perimeter.... :laugh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts