German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
touching story... who knows what Cesar would have done or if he would have been able to help, I highly doubt it as I find his approach to everything a little to dramatic and would have scared this dog even more. but thats JMHO

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
So awesome! Thanks for sharing this.

We had a nearly feral dog in the shelter recently whose owner surrendered her, after admitting the dog had never seen another person besides the owner. The dog almost scaled a 7' fence out of pure fear. It chewed through two leather leads to escape the humans. It required a catch pole to move--which only caused more fear (and alligator rolls, and fear pooping). Every time they used the catch-pole to move her, she got so much worse. In those moments of abject fear, she would snap wildly. In a dog this big, that's a scary thing. It wasn't aggression; it was pure fear.

I called my own trainer for his thoughts on her, before they had a chance to euth her. Once he volunteered to try to help the dog, the shelter agreed to give her the time he needed to work with her. He came and sat in that dog's kennel, without touching her, every day after he got off work to get her used to the smell of him, and being near people. He answered emails and updated Facebook on his phone, just sitting there, until the shelter closed each evening. Soon, he got her to accept a gentle pet. Then take a treat. Then a massage. After several weeks of this, he took her home and fostered her...and then foster failed.

The dog now will approach and lick visitors in their home and can be leash walked. She's still recovering, but she's made incredible progress. It took time, patience and compassion -- compulsion was exactly what she couldn't handle. She's a majestic, beautiful dog:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That was sweet. I did have to fast forward through parts because the music was too much for me!

Patience worked wonders for my fearful dogs! It's amazing how they come around once they realize they can trust you. You just can't be in a rush to zoom off in your rollerblades, lol!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Heartbreaking and so touching...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

Lol you have obviously never watched him work a fearful dog. Iv said it before Ill say it again there is a reason an illegal mexican immigrant became world famous and it isnt because he lacks skill or the ability to read dogs. He is not the be all or end all but his results speak for themselves. Cesar haters are always amusing to me, they only see what they want to see and remember what they want to remember thus failing to learn anything from him. If I could read dogs half as well as he could I woud be a much better handler trainer. Wether you watch him, Michael Ellis, Bart Bellon etc there are many things to learn if you keep your mouth shut and ears open.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Lol you have obviously never watched him work a fearful dog. Iv said it before Ill say it again there is a reason an illegal mexican immigrant became world famous and it isnt because he lacks skill or the ability to read dogs. He is not the be all or end all but his results speak for themselves. Cesar haters are always amusing to me, they only see what they want to see and remember what they want to remember thus failing to learn anything from him. If I could read dogs half as well as he could I woud be a much better handler trainer. Wether you watch him, Michael Ellis, Bart Bellon etc there are many things to learn if you keep your mouth shut and ears open.
I actually like Cesar. I admit I haven't seen every episode, but I don't recall ever seeing him work with an injured dog. I have seen him work with other fearful dogs and he has been very patient. I wish I could be as calm as he is - not just with dogs. My blood pressure would be so good. LOL!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I agree with Blitzkrieg, don't get the Caesar hate, I know one thing, he loves dogs as much as anyone on here and would absolutely do right by this dog, no question about it. I wouldn't hesistate to have Caesar help one of my dogs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Cesar would have done nearly the same thing. With a fearful dog, he crouches down with his back to the dog and either waits for the dog to come to him, or slowly approaches the dog. He is very gentle with the dogs that need gentleness.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I wish I could watch it. My phone is too slow. But I bet it's amazing. I fostered a GSD pup once who was so terrified of people that she would slam herself into wals to get away if I moved a foot. It took many months, but she blossomed and was able to be adopted into a wonderful family.

That said. I don't have the patience to do it again. It was the most heart wrenching, terrifying, frustrating rehab I have ever done. Weird as it is, I prefer to rehab aggression cases.

Kudos to this rescue and the man tasked with this enormous feat. They will have a special welcome at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Very nice...but it was only one session and the dog didn't have a real 'escape'. I did this with horses too, don't give them an escape and they make the 'decision' to accept the human contact. Still takes a lot of work for that to become established acceptance.

I'm sure with more time they can help her overcome her fear. However I wouldn't place her in a home with children, ever, just to be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts