German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 year old shepherd has a fistula on her rear end. I've tried the cone of shame (she freaks out with that); I tried the inflatable doughnut, but she still can reach; I tried the diaper, but everytime she has it on she pees in it. I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas or has tried some at home solutions to keep her from doing this. I was also wondering if one of those straps that dogs in heat would work. I don't know how far up they come. Any help here? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
Are you asking for a temporary solution? Otherwise i’d treat the medical condition...ask the vet for something topical to ease the itching or pain.

Reactions: Buckelke

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's on antibiotics and prednisone. We've been trying to heal this for months. The doctor has ordered some topical medication, but she shouldn't be licking it. We should be getting the topical medication within the week, and I want to be prepared. We've tried everything above. Just looking for some other ideas to keep her from licking it.

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
you can stack those inflatables. My big-boy wears two at a time. He seems comfortable enough that he doesn't complain or try to destroy them.

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
i see.
well the panties used for dogs in season will not go high enough for your needs...
i’d suggest trying a different brand (and/or material) of the two you tried, or a “bite not”, which is a completely different style and in my experience is well tolerated by dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can stack those inflatables. My big-boy wears two at a time. He seems comfortable enough that he doesn't complain or try to destroy them.
Using one, she can reach it comfortably. Could your dog reach that area with the one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i see.
well the panties used for dogs in season will not go high enough for your needs...
i’d suggest trying a different brand (and/or material) of the two you tried, or a “bite not”, which is a completely different style and in my experience is well tolerated by dogs.
Okay. I just looked "bite not" up. Have you used this on your dog? I've not seen anything like this before. Can the dogs bend over to eat and drink? It looks really stiff.

·
Super Moderator
9,528 Posts
Okay. I just looked "bite not" up. Have you used this on your dog? I've not seen anything like this before. Can the dogs bend over to eat and drink? It looks really stiff.
i work at a kennel where these are standard (the plastic cones can be difficult for the dogs to pass in/out the opening to the outdoor portion of their runs). our water bowls are raised, so no issue there... some dogs are able to eat just fine with them but as a general rule, i take them off for their comfort... i would hope you would too, anytime you’re able to supervise? the only negative that we’ve run into with these... is some of the golden retrievers developing hotspots, so we check underneath twice a day and dry appropriately in wet conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i work at a kennel where these are standard (the plastic cones can be difficult for the dogs to pass in/out the opening to the outdoor portion of their runs). our water bowls are raised, so no issue there... some dogs are able to eat just fine with them but as a general rule, i take them off for their comfort... i would hope you would too, anytime you’re able to supervise? the only negative that we’ve run into with these... is some of the golden retrievers developing hotspots, so we check underneath twice a day and dry appropriately in wet conditions.
Okay. Thanks for your input. This will be an option.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
These giant foam collars work VERY well for long-nosed dogs because they're enormous:

They close with shoelaces that you can loop around the regular collar.

The one I have is more than 10 years old, and it still works fine. It's green so people joke that my dog looks like a triceratops when wearing it. He also uses it as a pillow. It won't solve banging into stuff, but at least it's something soft when it slaps against your leg (the plastic cones always leave me bruised when the dog slams the edge of it into my thigh by accident).

·
Super Moderator
5,448 Posts
Using one, she can reach it comfortably. Could your dog reach that area with the one?
there is a buckle collar on the outer inflatable, but he is so comfortable in these that I don't have to tighten it. It looks bunchier than usual because of the way he is laying on the couch. With one collar he could easily reach everything. Two collars he can't.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
My problem with the inflatable one was that the Kong branded one apparently smells like a squeak-toy. Either that, or they can read now and recognized the K-O-N-G imprint on it! LOL

A young dog in the home came along and was sure the older one must be wearing a cool new toy, darted in to try to bite and squeak it to get him to play, and promptly deflated it. It didn't even make a day in my house.

I love the idea of doubling them up in a single-dog home, or one with dogs that don't mess with each other to entice play.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These giant foam collars work VERY well for long-nosed dogs because they're enormous:

They close with shoelaces that you can loop around the regular collar.

The one I have is more than 10 years old, and it still works fine. It's green so people joke that my dog looks like a triceratops when wearing it. He also uses it as a pillow. It won't solve banging into stuff, but at least it's something soft when it slaps against your leg (the plastic cones always leave me bruised when the dog slams the edge of it into my thigh by accident).
My problem with the inflatable one was that the Kong branded one apparently smells like a squeak-toy. Either that, or they can read now. :unsure:

A young dog in the home came along and was sure the older one must be wearing a cool new toy, darted in to try to bite and squeak it to get him to play, and promptly deflated it. It didn't even make a day in my house.
I don't think that would be a problem here. Our other dog (collie) didn't even bother her with the inflatable collar on. I think maybe I'll try the second inflatable. She handled the one well. Used it as a pillow. She so freaked out with the "collar of shame" that it lasted on her less than a minute till I caught her, so I don't think the giant foam collar would work. I really thank all of you for your help. I really wouldn't have thought of using two of these inflatables. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My problem with the inflatable one was that the Kong branded one apparently smells like a squeak-toy. Either that, or they can read now and recognized the K-O-N-G imprint on it! LOL

I love the idea of doubling them up in a single-dog home, or one with dogs that don't mess with each other to entice play.
I patched my a couple of years ago after a puncture, it's still good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts