German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was out on a walk with Ranger when all of a sudden he started holding his ear strangly and shaking his head. Clearly he has something in his ear and it won't come out. It has been about 15 minutes.

I tried putting ear cleaner in his ear, but he was not cooperative. He has stopped shaking his head but he is still holdong his ear funny. Any advice? Te vet said to watch him todayand if it is not better to take him in this evening during their open hours. Do you think that will be too late?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Peroxide, it will bubble it up. Thats what I did.... Had to do it a few times but after he shook his head a few times out it came :) (on my samoyed not my GSD)

·
Registered
482 Posts
My vet recommended peroxide because it bubbles which made it come up instead of pushing it down. I didnt try ear cleaner so I cant comment if it will work or not. The peroxide worked. Ear laid flat for the day ( was probably still bubbling down in there ) but I was able to see the little bug come up out and get it out so I KNEW it was not in there any longer.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Since you have already put ear cleaner in there, if you do decide to put the peroxide in check it to make sure there is not some sort of chemical reaction between the two before doing it. Would not want you to have a bad reaction in there.. .Good luck

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, gee, hadn't thought of that. Like mentos and coke!

I called the vet before I put the ear cleaner in because I was afraid it might "push" it in further. They to,d me that the ear cleaner would not make it worse, but I don't know. It was just the person that answers the phone giving me advice. She did not run it by the vet. Maybe it is a common thing and she can field the call.

He is just laying in the kitchen holding his ear a little funny. He is not shaking his head anymore. Maybe it came out and I didn't see it? I hope so.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Exactly! Mentos + coke in ears = GSD running around like they are on FIRE!!!

If you still think something is down there call them back and ask about peroxide after you have tested it to see if the two react

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the category of "kids say the darndest things"...

I was driving my elementary aged daughter in a carpool with 3 other kids. They were discussing the mentos+coke thing when one kid said "i wonder if your stomach would explode if you ate the two together?" Quite quickly, and non-chalantly, an 11 year old boy interjected "oh no, it won't explode I have tried it."

I nearly drove off the road laughing. Could you imagine wondering if your stomach might explode if you ate something and testing the hypothesis by actually eating it?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm...

He doesn't seem to be bothered by his ears anymore (just holding it very slightly off) but I didn't see anything come out. Do you think it is important to take him in and make sure that it is out of his ear? I am a little concerned that if whatever it is gets well into his ear it might not bother him any more but it might cause damage. Does that seem like an irrational fear?

·
Super Moderator
32,543 Posts
Do you have foxtails there? I'm not sure where you live. If it's a foxtail you definitely want to take him in and have your vet remove it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts