German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19,190 Posts
okay my first question is how much does she actually know about puppy raising? Does she think she's an expert because she works at a pet store? What does your other roommate say about it? Personally, if you have the means to move and take care of everything yourself i would move. OR if your other roommate is cool with everything, make it clear the one causing trouble better get her stuff straight of she's out. They all agreed it was okay for you to get your pup therefore DO NOT get rid of her. Humor her and treat for fleas. If she continues to find excuses, boot her. But thats just me. Others wont agree with my thinking i know but i'm not tolerant of people telling me what i can and cant do. Who's name is the primary on the lease? if its you (i can guess since you have the master bedroom) then you have the final say in the matter in all technicality.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
in my opinion, i dont think she knows anything, she just think she does because she works at a pet store. my other roommate is fine with the dog ( although my dog thinks shes a huge playtoy because she doesnt command NO to her lol, and ive been telling her to be more forceful with it! ) but shes cool with the puppy! we have gone with this before and ultimately im thinking of giving the 'pet store expert' an ultimatum. either be knowledgeable in what you say, agree and not just put blame and accuse me/the puppy of being in a bad home in which clearly shes not, shes loved by both roommates, or last option is, i go if the dog goes, simple as that!

let alone my mother has been working at doggy daycares for the past 12 years and told me thats what i should do, my older brother said its in my best interest that my puppy is just not fitting into the roommates situation and i should find a different place, and my mother said if my roommate doesnt agree with the unknowledgeable guesses, that i should go find my own place as well.

i love my puppy to death and i work hard to get what she/i both deserve, not to be told that i have to get rid of her.

so give the ultimatum. dont give up your pup because some dimwit has a bad day/week/month yada yada. She agreed. Tell her to back off. When she has some actual worthwhile insight instead of BS then you may be more willing to listen. until then.... well i think you get the idea. The fact of the matter is, she is YOUR dog and you made sure you could have her. if she's going back on her side of the agreement, well... she's not trustworthy. I personally wouldnt be wanting to live with someone who wasnt trustworthy and went back on their word/agreements.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
also didnt you mention that your other roommate who's cool with the whole thing no problems... her only issue is she cant pull off a firm no? finding a new place in that sense would also be easier as well because then your pup wont get the idea that no means continue to do what you're doing. Your pup will learn that no means no.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
If you could, I think the best thing would be to take yourself and your pup outta there. The other roommate could cause problems, as has been said already. I've been having a bit of a hard time getting Ozzy to quit mouthing seeing as how my bf lets him mouth him all the time, despite the fact I want him to make him stop when he does it. URG.

i'm sorry to say but your BF sounds like an idiot. isnt he the one who wants to use harsh punishments to teach Ozzy while you're pro positive and your approach is working. Seems to me, Ozzy is YOURS, he should respect your wishes. Course i'd also smack my husband if he allowed Shasta to mouth him and think it was okay but thats me.

· Registered
19,190 Posts
Ozzy is the only thing we fight about. And yes, he wants me to rub Ozzy's nose in his accidents and instead of enforcing the drop it/leave it, he thinks it's a better idea to swat him. If I ever see him lay a hurtful hand on him though, you can bet that he's gonna have a pretty little hand print on the side of his face. :)
When he lets Ozzy mouth him against my wishes, I just glare at him and walk away and don't talk to him, which drives him NUTS. It's funny though, because when I walk away, Ozzy follows me, so I win. Haha.

haha good Ozzy. if you ever do have to smack him and leave a hand print.... please take pictures!!!!! lol. I actually smacked my husband the other day because of how he decided to handle Shasta bouncing around on everything. She'd been a perfect angel all day and then he came home from work and all heck broke loose. He'd had his toenail removed and she accidently jumped on him and later chewed on the toe (she's a puppy! she doesnt know she was hurting him!) and we all know GSDs like trying to walk in our shoes! well he just about lost his mind.... literally grabbed her by the scruff and flung her in her crate and slammed the door. I went off! I understand he hurt... alot. but that doesnt excuse THAT reaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.