German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am having problems within my house, i live with 2 females, and i am male ( i have the master bedroom, which we all call the mancave ;p ). I have worked at a doggie daycare for 3 years prior to my current job, and have experience in handling dogs as some would say, seeing as i was brought within a few courses and taught alot by actual trainers that have come in.

so when i first got her and the ok from the roommates ( one works at petfood express and the other one just loves the GSD, having one while growing up ) i had cleaned the carpets, as my job is working for my brother in that industry. Of course you cant bring in a puppy into daycare until 2nd set of shots at least. Most require 3 but where i live in marin there are a couple places that have alot of dogs/puppies and they can be separated, albeit even the adult dogs have 3rd set of shots and ofc my puppy only having her 2nd, until this upcoming saturday.

Once before my roomate has texted me calling alot of bs on me and saying our place isnt adequate for such a dog, we live in a 3 bedroom apartment around 2700 sq feet, which is very big for a 3 br apt. so we all talked and decided it was fine or what not by their standards. so come today, she texts me saying she found a flea, said we needed to flea bomb the whole carpet and started blowing up at me with a bunch of nonsense and cussing me out about the whole 'flea bombing'. and truth be told when you have the carpets cleaned, the heat alone would kill the flea seeing as our water comes out at 250 degrees boiling.

so i left my puppy alone because i got a call for a small job to clean, and i left her alone from 2pm till about 3:45. and she bitches at me saying she cant hold her bladder for that long ( and this is the roommate who works at petfood express ) and saying i need to find a new home for her. but when you think about it and i have said this before to her, 90% of doggie daycares actually put animals to rest at about 11:00 and return around 2:30-3:00 to let the animals do whatever until around 6-7 when owners come and get them.

let me tell you, i was pissed at what she told me, because i feel she is just making uneducated guesses, sure id agree not leaving a puppy at home, but if you look at this way, alot of people work 9-5 and leave their animals crated up, and with my job if that were to happen, i have enough of a window between my job to come home, feed, take her out for a walk, and put her back in ( prior to her not having shots and being able to go to daycare ) and now im stuck. i am severely pissed because im getting told to rid of my dog to a new home which im astoundingly bonded with already, she really is my world and is like a child to me. she gets all the love in the world and in no way is mistreated.

when im told to get rid of my dog and she needs to find a better home what do i do? my first instinct is this, what if she finds a 'better home' which is actually someone who just keeps her locked up all day, what if she hits a mistreated home and they abuse her, a bunch of what if what if's.

so my question is this, not only being blamed for everything in the house ( ahah, i am the only male, of course! no offense fellow female posters ;p ) do i tell the certain roommate that her knowledge is completely wrong and she is taking her daily life **** out on me? or do i give her option 2 and say, look... where the dog goes, i go, which means we will find a new place to live?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
okay my first question is how much does she actually know about puppy raising? Does she think she's an expert because she works at a pet store? What does your other roommate say about it? Personally, if you have the means to move and take care of everything yourself i would move. OR if your other roommate is cool with everything, make it clear the one causing trouble better get her stuff straight of she's out. They all agreed it was okay for you to get your pup therefore DO NOT get rid of her. Humor her and treat for fleas. If she continues to find excuses, boot her. But thats just me. Others wont agree with my thinking i know but i'm not tolerant of people telling me what i can and cant do. Who's name is the primary on the lease? if its you (i can guess since you have the master bedroom) then you have the final say in the matter in all technicality.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Well, it depends on your situation. You weren't very specific as far as the living arrangements go. I'd tell her to shove it and shut it. She's your dog, you guys agreed that it was okay to have her, and now she needs to put up with the decision that she ultimately allowed you to get the dog.

My bf always complains about my positive reinforcement training and thinks that I should smack Ozzy around every now and then. I tell him to shut up because he's my dog, not his, and I'll raise him however I choose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in my opinion, i dont think she knows anything, she just think she does because she works at a pet store. my other roommate is fine with the dog ( although my dog thinks shes a huge playtoy because she doesnt command NO to her lol, and ive been telling her to be more forceful with it! ) but shes cool with the puppy! we have gone with this before and ultimately im thinking of giving the 'pet store expert' an ultimatum. either be knowledgeable in what you say, agree and not just put blame and accuse me/the puppy of being in a bad home in which clearly shes not, shes loved by both roommates, or last option is, i go if the dog goes, simple as that!

let alone my mother has been working at doggy daycares for the past 12 years and told me thats what i should do, my older brother said its in my best interest that my puppy is just not fitting into the roommates situation and i should find a different place, and my mother said if my roommate doesnt agree with the unknowledgeable guesses, that i should go find my own place as well.

i love my puppy to death and i work hard to get what she/i both deserve, not to be told that i have to get rid of her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it depends on your situation. You weren't very specific as far as the living arrangements go. I'd tell her to shove it and shut it. She's your dog, you guys agreed that it was okay to have her, and now she needs to put up with the decision that she ultimately allowed you to get the dog.

My bf always complains about my positive reinforcement training and thinks that I should smack Ozzy around every now and then. I tell him to shut up because he's my dog, not his, and I'll raise him however I choose.
my mother actually told me the same thing, she said tell her to stfu because its my dog and she has no say in what i do with her albeit nothing i do is bad ofc lol, then i would understand but im not a person to treat a dog harmfully, and if so the person i was i wouldnt have even gotten a dog in general!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
in my opinion, i dont think she knows anything, she just think she does because she works at a pet store. my other roommate is fine with the dog ( although my dog thinks shes a huge playtoy because she doesnt command NO to her lol, and ive been telling her to be more forceful with it! ) but shes cool with the puppy! we have gone with this before and ultimately im thinking of giving the 'pet store expert' an ultimatum. either be knowledgeable in what you say, agree and not just put blame and accuse me/the puppy of being in a bad home in which clearly shes not, shes loved by both roommates, or last option is, i go if the dog goes, simple as that!

let alone my mother has been working at doggy daycares for the past 12 years and told me thats what i should do, my older brother said its in my best interest that my puppy is just not fitting into the roommates situation and i should find a different place, and my mother said if my roommate doesnt agree with the unknowledgeable guesses, that i should go find my own place as well.

i love my puppy to death and i work hard to get what she/i both deserve, not to be told that i have to get rid of her.

so give the ultimatum. dont give up your pup because some dimwit has a bad day/week/month yada yada. She agreed. Tell her to back off. When she has some actual worthwhile insight instead of BS then you may be more willing to listen. until then.... well i think you get the idea. The fact of the matter is, she is YOUR dog and you made sure you could have her. if she's going back on her side of the agreement, well... she's not trustworthy. I personally wouldnt be wanting to live with someone who wasnt trustworthy and went back on their word/agreements.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
First of all I can say for fact that just because someone works at a pet store doesn't mean they no jack squat about animals. I have had 2 separate incidents at Pet Smart already with the people who work there coming up to Dharma from behind to try and pet her and setting her off.

I agree with the poster who said if you can afford it to take the dog and move out or if you are the primary on the lease, tell the know-it-all to zip it or take a hike. I know my dog would always come first.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we are all actually on the lease, but it wouldnt be hard for me to find someone to take over my spot. I think i've actually made up my mind to find a better place for myself and the pup. I'm sure something else will come up with her and the dog in which she will say she needs a better home etc etc, so i think i'll diffuse the whole situation and find a place on my own so i won't have to deal with anything else looking down on the dog :)

and i really appreciate the feedback, it seems we're all on the same page and i just wanted to be sure about my approach that i could be taking a wrong turn, but all in all my position would be the best to move on and turn it into something new :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
also didnt you mention that your other roommate who's cool with the whole thing no problems... her only issue is she cant pull off a firm no? finding a new place in that sense would also be easier as well because then your pup wont get the idea that no means continue to do what you're doing. Your pup will learn that no means no.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes that is true. my mother also said that could be my puppy's downfall is my roommy not being able to really force the no. i totally agree!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
She agreed to the dog, so she has to put up with it. If she doesn't like it, she can move out especially if your other roommate is okay with it. I would ignore her petstore knowledge. I was a manager at a petstore, they don't teach you anything about pets. Everything you learn about pets is done outside of work. Working at a petstore gives you retail experience, not pet experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She agreed to the dog, so she has to put up with it. If she doesn't like it, she can move out especially if your other roommate is okay with it. I would ignore her petstore knowledge. I was a manager at a petstore, they don't teach you anything about pets. Everything you learn about pets is done outside of work. Working at a petstore gives you retail experience, not pet experience.
well i think i will be the better person, and move out. sure i live in a huge apartment and there is a huge yard about 10 meters down, but i could save the hassle because all 3 of us are good friends, and find my own place. i dont want to lose friendship just because of the puppy, and theres no way she would just move out because of said reason. so i will have to take the route out and they will just have to deal with it, they are never here anyways so it's not like they should care much!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you could, I think the best thing would be to take yourself and your pup outta there. The other roommate could cause problems, as has been said already. I've been having a bit of a hard time getting Ozzy to quit mouthing seeing as how my bf lets him mouth him all the time, despite the fact I want him to make him stop when he does it. URG.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hehe, my puppy loves to talk back when i tell her no, well about 20% of the time.. i guess it depends on how dedicated she is! but it obviously doesnt help when one of the roommies says no in a playful manner, waving her hands in the air and such. i can definitely see that being a downfall in my pup, even though they are learning until a later age but its still a downfall from them knowing right from wrong.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
If you could, I think the best thing would be to take yourself and your pup outta there. The other roommate could cause problems, as has been said already. I've been having a bit of a hard time getting Ozzy to quit mouthing seeing as how my bf lets him mouth him all the time, despite the fact I want him to make him stop when he does it. URG.

i'm sorry to say but your BF sounds like an idiot. isnt he the one who wants to use harsh punishments to teach Ozzy while you're pro positive and your approach is working. Seems to me, Ozzy is YOURS, he should respect your wishes. Course i'd also smack my husband if he allowed Shasta to mouth him and think it was okay but thats me.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
i'm sorry to say but your BF sounds like an idiot. isnt he the one who wants to use harsh punishments to teach Ozzy while you're pro positive and your approach is working. Seems to me, Ozzy is YOURS, he should respect your wishes. Course i'd also smack my husband if he allowed Shasta to mouth him and think it was okay but thats me.
Ozzy is the only thing we fight about. And yes, he wants me to rub Ozzy's nose in his accidents and instead of enforcing the drop it/leave it, he thinks it's a better idea to swat him. If I ever see him lay a hurtful hand on him though, you can bet that he's gonna have a pretty little hand print on the side of his face. :)
When he lets Ozzy mouth him against my wishes, I just glare at him and walk away and don't talk to him, which drives him NUTS. It's funny though, because when I walk away, Ozzy follows me, so I win. Haha.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ozzy is the only thing we fight about. And yes, he wants me to rub Ozzy's nose in his accidents and instead of enforcing the drop it/leave it, he thinks it's a better idea to swat him. If I ever see him lay a hurtful hand on him though, you can bet that he's gonna have a pretty little hand print on the side of his face. :)
When he lets Ozzy mouth him against my wishes, I just glare at him and walk away and don't talk to him, which drives him NUTS. It's funny though, because when I walk away, Ozzy follows me, so I win. Haha.

haha good Ozzy. if you ever do have to smack him and leave a hand print.... please take pictures!!!!! lol. I actually smacked my husband the other day because of how he decided to handle Shasta bouncing around on everything. She'd been a perfect angel all day and then he came home from work and all heck broke loose. He'd had his toenail removed and she accidently jumped on him and later chewed on the toe (she's a puppy! she doesnt know she was hurting him!) and we all know GSDs like trying to walk in our shoes! well he just about lost his mind.... literally grabbed her by the scruff and flung her in her crate and slammed the door. I went off! I understand he hurt... alot. but that doesnt excuse THAT reaction.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I agree that moving is the best thing. I had a similar situation when a roommate told me that there were too many dogs in the house, and Emma needed to go. I replied that Emma and I (and Tessa) would find a new place. Then she was furious because she didn't want to lose my rent money! I told her I had 2 dogs when I moved in, and I have 2 dogs now. If you had a problem with that you shouldn't have let me move in! This woman was never home anyway, and myself and the third roommate cared for her dog pretty much exclusively.

·
Registered
275 Posts
well i think i will be the better person, and move out. sure i live in a huge apartment and there is a huge yard about 10 meters down, but i could save the hassle because all 3 of us are good friends, and find my own place. i dont want to lose friendship just because of the puppy, and theres no way she would just move out because of said reason. so i will have to take the route out and they will just have to deal with it, they are never here anyways so it's not like they should care much!
IMO this is your best option, and the best for your pup, especially if you want to maintain the friendship(s). Hopefully she isn't too negative around your pup, I believe that they know when they aren't wanted.

I know she's your friend, but she sounds like a know-it-all that doesn't know anything. I sure hope folks who don't know any better don't take her advice at the pet store!:crazy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts