German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok its not that bad but MAN when Marco gets out of control he goes on these biting and lunging sprees. I've tried shoving a finger under his tongue, grab his collar with a gentle shake... but all this stuff I'm reading says to not pay attention when they get like this -- giving him attention makes him more crazy. Which I can agree with. But its awfully hard to ignore a little land shark when he's trying to expose the bones in your ankle all in good fun :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Distraction with obedience works about 90% of the time - the other 10% I want to send him to boarding school lol.

I honestly don't remember Sasha or Wolfgang acting this crazy - that said they were both total disasters on leash - this guy walks amazingly well on leash at 3 months old.

Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
Ok its not that bad but MAN when Marco gets out of control he goes on these biting and lunging sprees. I've tried shoving a finger under his tongue, grab his collar with a gentle shake... but all this stuff I'm reading says to not pay attention when they get like this -- giving him attention makes him more crazy. Which I can agree with. But its awfully hard to ignore a little land shark when he's trying to expose the bones in your ankle all in good fun :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Distraction with obedience works about 90% of the time - the other 10% I want to send him to boarding school lol.

I honestly don't remember Sasha or Wolfgang acting this crazy - that said they were both total disasters on leash - this guy walks amazingly well on leash at 3 months old.

Thoughts?
Jeans and boots!

This to shall pass, have no fear. Ignoring will work it just takes time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried shoving a toy in his mouth and playing tug?
yes and yes....

Hence my 90% success rate :D

He's just super persistent. Funny, remember Sasha and Wolfgang being perfect puppies - amazing what time does to our memories.

I think I'm going with the Jeans method! I'm in Florida but I'm inside - there is AC!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
I had a foster pup that I wore gloves around for the longest time, :smile2:
Just an absolute hellion!
Shadow was definitely a jeans kind of girl, drove my teenage step daughter mental-mostly because she wouldn't stop shrieking and running so Shadow thought it was a game. She was tiny but mighty and would latch onto anything that crossed her line of sight. I'm not much into correcting puppies so I just resort to armor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,443 Posts
Hans was a fuzzygator with razor wire. When I took him out of his crate after his naps, I had exactly four seconds to pet him before he turned into a tooth machine. The worst was at night, when I was tired but he would get a wound up after pooping, and would repeatedly launch himself and bite my butt cheeks. Even wearing jeans, it hurt like heck.
All this abruptly stopped around 6 months. Still occasionally gatored, but not every minute.
At 3, he turned into the biggest love bug you could imagine, so gentle, so sweet, he could be petted all day and all he does is gently swish his tail. Hang in there. I did try everything recommended here, but only time stopped it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,319 Posts
Wear him out. Let him exercise himself. Let him run around and sniff. Find games he likes to play. Keep him busy and he will sleep a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,936 Posts
I wouldn't "shove" anything in the dog's mouth. I would make it so the dog would want whatever it was because it was so interesting And when you play tug, remember the dog wins 98% of the time. Crate games are also a great invention - a flirt pole will work -- and yes, ignore him will make your body parts and worn wardrobe much less interesting. (and yes, crate games = build up to "put the dog away")
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shove is extreme. I keep a rope toy nearby as well as a hard plastic teething toy and offer that instead. I need to work on crate games and keep him busy - inside. Its pretty **** hot here already during the day. Our walks are limited to early AM and late evenings. But he's super smart and probably could be easily worn out with intellectual games (or he can help me with my job - thats enough to wear anyone out!!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
You want to make toys fun! I know sledding is out in Florida but I would have myself or kids pull toy on a rope and run it helped him with wanting to target the toy and not the people for when it became teething time, he easily was directed to toys by just have pure fun.

You do forget. When Max was a pup it did make me think of what eaten Alive must feel like on a small scale as my bones felt like they got crunched so it had to be that bad. Lol! Everyone in the house got annoyed. It was a big difference as our last dog was a King Charles and the dog we had that was a trained adult gsd so some family members were a bit in shock and myself learning and defending. Any kind of contact made it worse and that included loosing patience. Crates were the families best friend. All outings had to be structured and often on a long lead rope and either training , playing with toys, grooming , potty , feeding then crate. No chasing of kids allowed which disappointed them greatly. Hide n seek games, Agility equipment was purchased for their interaction. Any down time just resulted in so much redirecting. It fades away so gradually by then you won’t even realize. It does stop and it will be forgotten lol!:smile2:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,319 Posts
But keep the temperature in mind to prevent overheating. Sometimes they just need to be crated when they go overboard. Or in the morning when he is all rested :grin2:, give him things to do and no access to your hands.
Yes. I didn’t think about it being hot. We haven’t gotten into our full summer heat yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,497 Posts
Yes not full summer heat yet here either but beautiful weather. Hot enough though to get those tongues totally drooping if active though. Baby pools are great way to entertain in the heat. Fill a baby pool up with toys and water. They will most likely to jump in if you are in it or if it is hot enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have a pool pool! And he's very curious about it but still leary of walking on to the step - so I have a baby pool for him to start with... We all have to start somewhere!

He's really learning the crate is his safe place too so that will help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I've seen news articles lately about the danger of the rope toys! Re games to play, mine plays hide and seek, both human and toy. He's also learned the name of all the different toys, eg. "get your BALL, no that's your Kong." "Find piggy" etc. etc. I'll also hide treats and tell him to "find it". Right now, he's learning that old 3 cups trick where you show them something, hide it under a cup or bowl, and switch them around then let him find the right one with the surpise hidden underneath. Just a few games that increases their brain power, and keeps them occupied :)
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top