German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe Im just being a witch.....but I really peeved. Im actually a pretty calm, laid back person....definitely non-gruding bearing. But this one has taken the cake for me.

Back at Christmas time there were some GSD or GSD mixes for sale in the parking lot of Walmart. We glanced as we drove by and we all said "aaaaah, how cute".

Well....let me back track. My daughter has a friend who currently owns a 9 year old female GSD. The mother and I (she also shares my name (Jennifer) had talked on the phone about their desires to obtain another GSD pup because they would like to have one there for when their female passes someday. So we talked about adding a male. Of course I love my Timber so we talked alot about Timber and personality since he is a male.
We dont talk often and we arent close by any means. But when we would talk.....I was always talkin about my Timber man.

Now...back to the GSD's at Walmart time frame. My daughter and I were sitting down eating dinner and she tells me that her friend finally found the GSD they had been looking for. I asked where they got it and she said from that truck at Walmart we had seen. And then she said "guess what they named him"? TIMBER. I was like....WHAT???? :eek:
You know I took the time to come up and think of a name not totally out there, but different. I know there is someone on here with a Timber too. But that is coincidence and unrelated. And Im okay with that.
But Im asking you to put yourself in my shoes if your GSD's name is not a common one and how you would feel if your neighbor or someone you know got a GSD and named it the same thing? Should it be looked at as a compliment....sure. But for the last few weeks, my brain is NOT perceiving it as one.
I really hate that Im even writing this. Ive contemplated doing it and then told myself no and back and forth.
I guess Im just having a really hard time digesting this whole scenerio and whats so confusing is that it is just not like me to think, feel, act this way.
What say you??? :help:

·
5,627 Posts
I know someone with a GSD named Timber. They were a member here before you joined and volunteer with me. I thought Raven was pretty unique but there are a couple of people on here with Raven's.

If you aren't that close to them, it's no big deal and even a compliment. I'd be way more pissed that they bought a GSD from the back of a truck in a Walmart parking lot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Does it make your dog any less lovable and special? I don't understand. When I introduce Zeb to stranger they call him Zep, Jeb, Jes, Zed...I smile and just go with it. It doesn't change who my dog is.

IMO you are overreacting to something that is not a big deal. But that's just me.

Also, they got the dog from a Walmart parking lot? How do they know the dog is healthy at all? I would stop worrying about a name and worry about making sure the pup is ok. Have they brought them to the vet to get checked out/shots?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I guess I would be kinda upset too.

If someone I knew named any of their animals Chaos, Monster, Sinister or Wicked I would probably be upset about it. I wanted to be different and have dark names and that is why I chose those names (even though there are several Chaos' on here I have never met someone that named their animal that until I joined this forum).

All of my family members and friends know that if I ever have human children (not likely) that I will name my daughter Helena and my son Gage. If someone stole those names from me, there would be a serious butt whooping. :mad:

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I don't think it is a big deal either! I would have made waay more an issue of where they got the pup-way to support the BYB's!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've heard the name Timber before.

I don't know, I guess there are so many important things in life, having someone name a dog using the same name as I used for one of the Hooligans has never upset me. Years ago when I named my Tasha it was a unique name, I'd never heard it before (actually my sister named her), but then later it became very common.

Seven of mine were already named when I got them (I only changed one name because he'd been seriously abused). Ringer (who was named by a friend) is the only one of my guys that I've never heard of on another animal, and if I did it wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Who cares. I know someone that named their dog dodger after meeting my dodger, it never bothered me because I took it as a compliment it doesn't change who my dog is or weither or not I still love him.

My grandparents had a dog name chopper he was a GSD/Australian Shepherd mix. When he passed they named their Border Collie chopper; that I found was disrespectful to the first chopper and it confused the heck out of everybody because we had to specify which chopper we were talking about at the time.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My grandparents had a dog name chopper he was a GSD/Australian Shepherd mix. When he passed they named their Border Collie chopper; that I found was disrespectful to the first chopper and it confused the heck out of everybody because we had to specify which chopper we were talking about at the time.
I don't know why, but this has always bothered me too. My cousin's wife named all her Danes Princess and I've known others who do that including my BIL who is on Sam the 4th or 5th (he has birds). My mom used to work with a guy whose son died as an infant and they named their next baby the same thing because they liked the name (not in memory of the first child).

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I understand, I have a few folks that 'duplicate' things I do. It use to bother me but I've come to take copy cats as compliments. Not everyone is creative so they follow those of us that are. Be proud you have a name someone is interested in copying. :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
For all you know they had the name Timber picked out a long time ago. I've heard that name before. And if they didn't take it as a compliment.

My sister, named her child after the family dog. Now that I consider weird.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I don't know why, but this has always bothered me too. My cousin's wife named all her Danes Princess and I've known others who do that including my BIL who is on Sam the 4th or 5th (he has birds). My mom used to work with a guy whose son died as an infant and they named their next baby the same thing because they liked the name (not in memory of the first child).
My sister passed away when she was 15, her name was Erin. Right after she passed away someone that my mom knew asked if it would be ok to name their daughter Erin after my sister, my mom was sad but she couldn't tell them no. A couple years later my sisters 3 best friends had daughters and all 3 had the middle name Erin. My niece has the middle name Erin now too. I can tell it brings back memories for my mom and I know it hurts her. I wish none of them used her name. :(

·
Registered
626 Posts
Must be nice if that is all that concerns you in life !!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay...let me add to the story. I just spoke with the women regarding my daughter going over and spending the night this weekend. We havent talked since she got her new dog. This was the first time. Into the conversation she starts talking about HER Timber and then goes on to tell me that her husband had come up with the name and she couldnt figure out why that name soundes so familiar until their daughter heard the name and said "Hey...thats Samantha's dog's name". She said the name was already stuck so they kept it.
If it were something they were already considering I would have heard about it when I talked about my Timber. She would have said something like. "oh...thats the same name we want to name our future dog."
I agree....its not a far out there name and like I said, not totally uncommon. But I have never in my life met a dog named Timber of any breed.
I had a hard time believing that for the times I talked to this women about MY Timber, that she couldnt remember why that name sounded so familiar. They had names like Titan and such that were on their name list. She said they wanted a strong sounding name like Zeus or Titan but all the kids said they liked Timber.
She also told me that the breeders didnt register the puppy (who has been to the vet and checked out and shots and all) because the mother was unregistered because she is Albino. And yes...way to support BYB's I know! I dont understand why she was bred at all. Not genes that are complimentary to passing down. Its sad but some people just dont understand or they dont care and would just rather make a buck.
My dad also is one to give all his dogs the same name. Either Jake or Buddy. How original is that, right? LOL
At least one person on here agrees with me or at least see's my point. But Im also appreciating the opinions that differ from my own because Im really trying to break away from the negitive feelings Im having.
Dont get me wrong....this isnt to bash the women that owns the dog. I like her. She is very nice and we seem to get along very well. Plus we see eachother when our girls want to hang out. Im totally all good with her. My post is to help ME with what Im feeling. No, someone else sharing the same name does not change how I feel about Timber. But it does somehow make his name feel less special. Maybe it would have "felt" different had they said at one point "oh I really like that name, I may have to nab it when we find out little boy someday". Then it would have felt like a compliment. Plus maybe if they had gotten a dog of a different breed it would feel more okay. I mean hey....my name is Jennifer. So is her's. A very popular name to say the least. That doesnt bother me one bit to share my name with 50 million other people.
More opinions?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stogey....you put a smiley after your comment. But really??? You have no idea what my life is like unless you've been widowed at 28 years old with three kids. One of whom was 3 months old at the time of his father's passing.
Believe me....there are PLENTY of things to worry about. This just happens to be one of those things that I openly admit are stupid but wont stop nagging me. Thats why I wrote the post to begin with. Can you tell me that through all your daily problems and concerns, you've never had a moment when something was just eating at you?
We're human!
I just found your comment kind of inconsiderate when Im trying to ask for help.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Question does the GSD just have a white coat? Or does it have the red eyes and such? GSD's do come in white :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Though I have not come across on here or off any other GSD or any other breed with the name Brewski. If someone were to name their GSD or other Brewski, I like you would feel it was a compliment, how ever if a neighbour or anyone who lived fairly close to me were to take that name I would think I would be as you are upset. Example being my 16yr olds friends family just brought home a GSD yesterday. Though I only know these people to say Hi and discuss the two 16yr olds. They live about 14 blocks away from my home on the other side of the river, I would be a little ticked if they chose Brewski as the name for their GSD. If I came across on this forum someone who had a GSD or other named Brewski or one who decided to name their new pup Brewski, I would think "hey pretty cool", but that is not someone I would run into fairly frequently at the same dog park, vet to just out on a walk.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts