German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our female GSD (Bandit) is about 6 /12 months, we got her from a breeder who swears up and down that she's a purebred. I was talking to a trainer on the phone yesterday and the trainer was asking me several questions about Bandit and one of the questions was about her tail. I told the trainer that Bandit's tail was straight but at the end it curled up. She laughed and said if I ever wanted to get another dog, she'd go with me and help me pick out a good dog. Is the tail not supposed to curl up at the end? Does that mean anything?

I've read on various posts about a flirt pole....what is a flirt pole? what's the purpose of it? and can someone posts a picture of one please?

Last question - I've also read several people have a bully stick for their dog's to chew on. Again, what is it and where do you get one?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
No. That does not mean anything. There are plenty of GSD's with tails that curl. Why is a trainer asking about a tail? How does that relate to training. :wild: I would have to ask the relevance of a tail to a "good" dog?

Do you have any pictures of her? What are your plans for her?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies and for the links to the flirtpole info and the bully sticks! I was actually talking to that trainer because she boards dogs in her house, I have to take a trip from GA to PA soon and wasn't sure if I wanted to take Bandit or not. An 11 hour trip with a 3 year old and a puppy isn't my idea of fun but, oh well, I'll do what I have to do. I really don't know why the trainer was asking about the tail, she asked about the ears too...don't know what either of those had to do with boarding a dog. The way she acted when I said Bandit's tail curled at the end I thought something was wrong with it.

JAX08--Sorry, I don't know how to post pics....I'm also not sure what you mean when you ask what my plans are for her. I do have a trainer that comes each week to train both Bandit and myself. :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Do you mean a curl like this?

That kind of curl is normal.

Here's an excited curl.

Now if the tail curls up over the back, more like a husky I guess, that's called a gay tail. I don't know if it would be a fault in a show dog, but it's certainly nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
I was thinking that unless you were thinking of doing conformation, what her tail does won't matter. :)

Ears and tails don't really have alot to do with obedience, rally, agility, schutzhund. Those seem like silly, irrelevant questions for a trainer to ask. :)

When Jax is excited her tail is almost straight in the air. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts