German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got a new GSD puppy without knowing that you can't take him at 8 weeks (maybe 9 weeks). This breeder was horrible and mistreated the dog, he was infested with flea's and had 2 different kinds of parasites and dermatitis. He also has double dew claws and another dew claw on his hind legs.

My questions are : my dog's underbelly and skin is red, he seems to bite himself alot but not in the red area's, he's flea and parasite free now, what can be causing this itchiness? The vet gave me some pills and shampoo for him but he still bites.

Is biting normal for a puppy this age? He bites everything...me...my baseboards, everything.

I have a few pictures, I'm wondering if he looks ok...if he's your average GSD or maybe this terrible breeder lied about his background.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I am feeding him, currently "Natural Choice : Lamb". Which is real meat kibbles, no corn, and other things I cannot pronounce. The terrible breeder I mentioned told me to feed him Pedigree. I read the first 4 ingredients and walked straight to petsmart.

is his bottom / hairless skin underneath supposed to be a pinkish tint? Also, should I get the dewclaws removed when I neuter him at 1 year? I'm afraid they will get hurt considering they are quite literally barely there.

He also destroys water, he literally drinks gallons of it in a day, not quite sure if there would be something wrong in that but potty break every 30 minutes is an unpaid full time job -_-

I named him Rex btw =D

Edit\ guess I forgot to say but he sleeps like...alot...I'd say he is asleep half of the day, maybe more. Is that normal? He is 12 weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Good looking pooch. nipping it normal. you can have the dew claws removed when hes neutered. shame about the parasites some antibiotics should clear them up as well as a flea medicine. the redness could be a food allergy. When I got penny she had some redness because she hadn't learned to properly clean heself after urinating. we used baby wipes and it cleared her belly up. there are also medicated wipes the vet can give you, I would have the vet check everything to be certain of the problem
Thank you all for your answers, to conclude a few things :

He is Flea and Parasite free now thanks to Denadol (?) and Trifexis monthly flea /heart worm prevention.

I'm giving him Natural Choice Lamb Flavour as I said, it's a nutrition/pure / chemical free dog kibble.

I don't think he has Mange, I've been to the vet twice, wouldn't they have noticed? They scraped him for flea's and everything, the vet even looked at his stomache and never mentioned anything. She gave me a pill and a shampoo for the 'itchiness' he was receiving.

Regarding the cleaning and the urine, my girlfriend's mother said he got dermatitis from improper cleaning of the urine as well...He has a small dermatits near his anus/tail.

The puppy is rather healthy now he is just itchy a lot. I'm removing the dewclaws once he is neutered way after the recommended safe zone for neutering because I want him to be fully grown and balanced before I do that. It also saves me money so I don't have to buy two rounds of anasthea(spelling :().

How would I notice Mange?

Also; I clean my tile floor with a cleaning product and it self dries. Could that cause his belly? I would provide more pictures but my phone is currently not wokring in sending email to myself...but it's not a bright pink, just a pinkish tone...like peach.

Thanks again!

Edit : the puppy never had any vaccinations done until I got him at 8 weeks. Dew claws are removed in the first few days of a pup's lives but the breeder was overly negligent (The litter was large and he didnt care). He literally sold him to me for 80 dollars so I doubt this little guy is a full GSD, or he really just hated him, or I don't even know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He also has double dew claws and another dew claw on his hind legs.

so where are the dewclaws ? the front ? leave them. sound like one on the rear .
Rear, one is a double dewclaw the other is just a single dewclaw.

The single one is fat and seems firmly attached, the double is 'barely hangin there'. The nails are also like a circle now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts