German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a new GSD puppy without knowing that you can't take him at 8 weeks (maybe 9 weeks). This breeder was horrible and mistreated the dog, he was infested with flea's and had 2 different kinds of parasites and dermatitis. He also has double dew claws and another dew claw on his hind legs.

My questions are : my dog's underbelly and skin is red, he seems to bite himself alot but not in the red area's, he's flea and parasite free now, what can be causing this itchiness? The vet gave me some pills and shampoo for him but he still bites.

Is biting normal for a puppy this age? He bites everything...me...my baseboards, everything.

I have a few pictures, I'm wondering if he looks ok...if he's your average GSD or maybe this terrible breeder lied about his background.

·
Registered
990 Posts
He's a cute puppy :) Looks like a typical GSD :)

What are you feeding him? It's quite possibly a food allergy.

Yep GSD puppies bite and chew stuff, they don't get called land sharks for no reason :)
Have a look in the puppy section of this board, there's lots of tips on how to deal with the biting :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I am feeding him, currently "Natural Choice : Lamb". Which is real meat kibbles, no corn, and other things I cannot pronounce. The terrible breeder I mentioned told me to feed him Pedigree. I read the first 4 ingredients and walked straight to petsmart.

is his bottom / hairless skin underneath supposed to be a pinkish tint? Also, should I get the dewclaws removed when I neuter him at 1 year? I'm afraid they will get hurt considering they are quite literally barely there.

He also destroys water, he literally drinks gallons of it in a day, not quite sure if there would be something wrong in that but potty break every 30 minutes is an unpaid full time job -_-

I named him Rex btw =D

Edit\ guess I forgot to say but he sleeps like...alot...I'd say he is asleep half of the day, maybe more. Is that normal? He is 12 weeks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Rex is the best name for a Shepherd :D

Pups do sleep a lot, all that growing takes energy.
When you say he's biting himself is he really irritating the skin? Can you post some pictures of his belly?
It's next to impossible to give advise on this stuff over the internet, the best thing I can say is if you are really concerned give your vet a call and have a chat with them, they will tell you if you should bring him in.
Drinking that much is a bit of a worry, have you mentioned it to the Vet?

I have never had dew claws removed but if his are a bit odd it's probably worth doing especially as they are apparently really painful if they do get torn off :(

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
take the dog to the vet or back to the vet and have a skin scraping done for MANGE mites .

If he had that much to deal with , fleas, internal parasites , skin problems , and most likely lousy food (which is now your responsibility to upgrade) and whatever vaccination he got in a less than strong and healthy state , and then a change to your home too young, then it is a safe bet to assume that the dogs immune system got a battering allowing mange to get out of control .

The facial shot looks mangy . Looks like the hair between the eyes and on the bridge of the nose is that stubbly broken hair that you get with mange .

You can shampoo with Defendex -- but an upgrade overall on the dogs diet and care will be part of the solution.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you can take a puppy home at 8 weeks old. nipping and sleeping
is what they do. i think you should clip your dog's nails. take your
pup to the Vet. if i were going to neuter my dog i would have it
done when he was 2 yrs old or older. i thought dew claws were
supposed to be removed when the pup is weeks old.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get his dewclaws removed asap. If you wait until he is older it will be more involved and need a few stitches. I had a dog that caught mange once from a coyote that had been sleeping in my barn. The vet misdiagnosed it the first time saying it had to be direct contact, but three days later with the encrusted skin, it was treated with a med that he had to take internally. It spreads pretty fast and is itchy. It might be a good idea to have a repeat visit to the vet, surprised he didn't suggest removing the dewclaws while you were there.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Good looking pooch. nipping it normal. you can have the dew claws removed when hes neutered. shame about the parasites some antibiotics should clear them up as well as a flea medicine. the redness could be a food allergy. When I got penny she had some redness because she hadn't learned to properly clean heself after urinating. we used baby wipes and it cleared her belly up. there are also medicated wipes the vet can give you, I would have the vet check everything to be certain of the problem

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good looking pooch. nipping it normal. you can have the dew claws removed when hes neutered. shame about the parasites some antibiotics should clear them up as well as a flea medicine. the redness could be a food allergy. When I got penny she had some redness because she hadn't learned to properly clean heself after urinating. we used baby wipes and it cleared her belly up. there are also medicated wipes the vet can give you, I would have the vet check everything to be certain of the problem
Thank you all for your answers, to conclude a few things :

He is Flea and Parasite free now thanks to Denadol (?) and Trifexis monthly flea /heart worm prevention.

I'm giving him Natural Choice Lamb Flavour as I said, it's a nutrition/pure / chemical free dog kibble.

I don't think he has Mange, I've been to the vet twice, wouldn't they have noticed? They scraped him for flea's and everything, the vet even looked at his stomache and never mentioned anything. She gave me a pill and a shampoo for the 'itchiness' he was receiving.

Regarding the cleaning and the urine, my girlfriend's mother said he got dermatitis from improper cleaning of the urine as well...He has a small dermatits near his anus/tail.

The puppy is rather healthy now he is just itchy a lot. I'm removing the dewclaws once he is neutered way after the recommended safe zone for neutering because I want him to be fully grown and balanced before I do that. It also saves me money so I don't have to buy two rounds of anasthea(spelling :().

How would I notice Mange?

Also; I clean my tile floor with a cleaning product and it self dries. Could that cause his belly? I would provide more pictures but my phone is currently not wokring in sending email to myself...but it's not a bright pink, just a pinkish tone...like peach.

Thanks again!

Edit : the puppy never had any vaccinations done until I got him at 8 weeks. Dew claws are removed in the first few days of a pup's lives but the breeder was overly negligent (The litter was large and he didnt care). He literally sold him to me for 80 dollars so I doubt this little guy is a full GSD, or he really just hated him, or I don't even know.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
He also has double dew claws and another dew claw on his hind legs.

so where are the dewclaws ? the front ? leave them. sound like one on the rear .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He also has double dew claws and another dew claw on his hind legs.

so where are the dewclaws ? the front ? leave them. sound like one on the rear .
Rear, one is a double dewclaw the other is just a single dewclaw.

The single one is fat and seems firmly attached, the double is 'barely hangin there'. The nails are also like a circle now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts