German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I am going to pick up my GSD pup hopefully (if I like any of them). I'm going to be choosing from the litter, I am currently looking for a dark color, like a black and red. Would you give me any advice about how to pick a puppy? Whether it is by the ears or posture, and even if it is somewhat capable of telling its color in the future?

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Hey there, my Lebanese friend!

What you should be looking for is good temperament.
Do not pick a puppy that seems scared and cowers, and do not pick a puppy that jumps all over you, looking for attention. People tend to do that, thinking the dog "likes them" or "is choosing them" but beware -- that is an insecure dog.
Look for one that seems calm and has an air of confidence.

Then move on to color.
Good luck and be sure to come back and show us which one you got!

Check these links:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/177347-f-litter-puppy-tests.html
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/choosing-a-puppy.html

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hard to tell when they are really young what their final adult coloring will be. But since both parents seem to be dark with good pigment, chances are the pups will grow up nice and dark too. But like Sunflowers said, pick your puppy based on temperament - you can't really predict colour, but you can have insight into your pup's temperament at an early age.

Look for a confident pup. An outgoing, friendly, playful, curious puppy. One that does not shy away from strange objects or loud noises. Like if you drop something on the ground that makes a noise, may startle, but will recover within seconds, then go and investigate. Look for a pup that likes to make eye contact, and is responsive to you. One that is not too clingy, or too independent: look for balance.

Ask lots of questions about the pups, the breeder probably has lots of stories to tell since he/she has been with them all along - their own little personalities probably emerged early and is an excellent indicator of what they will be like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, my Lebanese friend!

What you should be looking for is good temperament.
Do not pick a puppy that seems scared and cowers, and do not pick a puppy that jumps all over you, looking for attention. People tend to do that, thinking the dog "likes them" or "is choosing them" but beware -- that is an insecure dog.
Look for one that seems calm and has an air of confidence.

Then move on to color.
Good luck and be sure to come back and show us which one you got!

Check these links:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/177347-f-litter-puppy-tests.html
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/choosing-a-puppy.html
Hello my Lebanese food lover! That seems like solid advice! But one question, should I be giving it attention like clapping my hands for it to come or should I just stand near it?!

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Also, make sure the parents seem OK. If they are aggressive, run!

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
You had to go and mention Lebanese food! Now I am wanting to go to my favorite local place!

I would bring a toy, and see if the dog comes and wants to play with you. Look at the video, that is what a confident, balanced GSD puppy should be like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not right that we make that at home daily and you have to go to a restaurant and pay for it! Lebanese food is so healthy! But VERY fattening! If you are counting calories watch out! The secret to Lebanese food is the appropriate bread and the olive oil!

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
It's not right that we make that at home daily and you have to go to a restaurant and pay for it! Lebanese food is so healthy! But VERY fattening! If you are counting calories watch out! The secret to Lebanese food is the appropriate bread and the olive oil!
Oh, I could make it, my friend taught me. But it's much faster to just go have it already made by someone else. Not to mention more fun:D
And it absolutely cannot be more fattening than hamburgers and french fries.
That food pictured above is from a restaurant that is owned by a Lebanese family. Family owned, and they make their own pita bread in a brick oven. It doesn't get any better than that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
(Been lurking for a few days...first post! Looking to get a doggie within the near future, stumbled upon this great site with tons of info). Saw a plate of hummus and falafal, had to comment =p

Mabrouk Dann, I didnt realize Lebanon had GSD breeders. I have to learn to give my own country more credit. Where abouts in Leb are you located?

Looks yummy Sunflowers! Not many things beat fresh pita. I hope they make manaich also (flat bread with zaatar, or cheese)

·
Registered
721 Posts
That was fast. Yesterday, you said you were picking up a Doberman from a pet-shop on Saturday. I know that was strongly discouraged, and you were encouraged to look into breeders in Europe and around the Mediterranean.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was fast. Yesterday, you said you were picking up a Doberman from a pet-shop on Saturday. I know that was strongly discouraged, and you were encouraged to look into breeders in Europe and around the Mediterranean.
Again, we've bought many GSD's from here, and dobermans flat out scare me now.. They are prone to so many scary diseases! Since there isn't a legitimate breeder to get them from, you can't ensure you get one that will leave past 3 years..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
(Been lurking for a few days...first post! Looking to get a doggie within the near future, stumbled upon this great site with tons of info). Saw a plate of hummus and falafal, had to comment =p

Mabrouk Dann, I didnt realize Lebanon had GSD breeders. I have to learn to give my own country more credit. Where abouts in Leb are you located?

Looks yummy Sunflowers! Not many things beat fresh pita. I hope they make manaich also (flat bread with zaatar, or cheese)
Habibi thank you! Ana min el shmel. And you?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay guys, this is going to be funny, but I ordered my puppy! The funny thing is it is a Doberman :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Habibi thank you! Ana min el shmel. And you?
No way! I know a girl min Amioun... and one from Ehden. I watched some of the mondial games min 2010 in Ehden kamen. Big Germany fans !

Ana min el Safra...near jounieh :)

Good luck with your new puppy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No way! I know a girl min Amioun... and one from Ehden. I watched some of the mondial games min 2010 in Ehden kamen. Big Germany fans !

Ana min el Safra...near jounieh :)

Good luck with your new puppy!
I live close to amioun, actually 5 minutes away! In kousba!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts