German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted on here in quite while. I recently moved from the eastern shore in Delaware to Colorado. I have a great place here with a lot of room so I thought yep time to add the second GSD.

I thought I am definitely getting one from one of the local rescues - especially after everything I learned with my current GSD, Roscoe. So I started searching for the local GSD rescue an came across this http://www.ripoffreport.com/animal-shelters/german-shepherd-resc/german-shepherd-rescue-of-cent-3ad48.htm

Yep it's an old report. But, man did this rub me the wrong way. The person who took this dog home SHOULD NOT OWN A SHEPHERD. There was zero commitment on the owners part - least that's the way it sounded to me.

My GSD, Roscoe went from Fear Aggression on 10 to now a working therapy dog. BUT it took a boatload of work on my part. I had no clue what I was getting into when I got him. I got him when he was 9 months off an ad on craiglist. When I went to pick him up he bit me in the stomach..lol. I put a lot of info of his journey, well my journey really, here http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/138207-i-truly-had-no-idea-what-i-getting-into-gsd.html

So now that I am looking to add a second one to the family, this time around I pretty much know exactly what I am getting into. An yep I am looking for one that will present a challenge, just like Roscoe. Roscoe is now 4 an I love how he still pushes me. Meaning if slack with training - he lets me know an will start to do things his way. GSD's will definitely keep you on your toes. We do all the basics weekly, an if we don't he will begin to slowly do it Roscoe's way. Funny to see it coming.

From the get go I wanted a GSD for the same reasons a lot people probably want one. They are big, they are smart, they are very loyal, they look awesome, they can do physical activities with you. I read training is a must and took that serious. I just didn't realize how much training was needed - ON ME - not Roscoe per say. I spent close to a year in one on one training with Roscoe an myself. It took a LONG time to break his fear an restore confidence in himself. I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot. It has given me the confidence to get another one that is "challenged".

From starting to look at rescues an coming across that post it just really bugged me. GSD's are not the type of dog to just "fall in-line" an roll with the routine when there is poor to no leadership. I have had dogs all my life but have NEVER had to put the amount of work into dog like Roscoe. It's all very worth it. GSD's are my favorite breed I have ever owned an I could not see getting another breed now.

If anyone is reading this an thinking about getting a GSD PLEASE take it seriously. They require A LOT of commitment and training is really MANDATORY. No commitment an no training is not fair to you or the dog. Please read everything you can an make sure it's the right match for you.

Enough of my rant off to find number 2.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow really well put! I agree GSDs are a lot of work but they are worth it. That's awesome what you've done with Roscoe! Good luck with your new dog when you get it! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts