German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today out town had a longhorn cattle drive down Main St, a traditional start to rodeo week. We took the kids along with Ammo down to watch. We parked early and walked around a little while. Many kids and adults stopped to pet Ammo. I always made him sit before letting anyone pet him, he did really good and really enjoyed the attention.

We went and sat on the back of our vehicle waiting for the cattle to arrive. Well this man, probably 40 something came up and ask to pet Ammo. I told him sure and had Ammo sit. The guy was asking a lot of questions about owning a GSD while he was petting Ammo. While we were talking I noticed Ammo softly chewing on the guys hand. I corrected it and told Ammo no. Well a few minutes later I saw the guy stick his hand back in Ammo's mouth. When Ammo would turn his head to try and get the guys hand out of his mouth the guy would follow his movement with his hand, never letting it leave Ammo's mouth. Finally I told my husband I was going to see if the cattle were close and got up and walked away with Ammo.

I can't believe the man was stupid enough to stick his hand, intentionally, into a large unknown dogs mouth. I don't know what he was thinking. Thankfully when we came back to the vehicle the man had left and we were amble to enjoy the cattle drive.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1374013077.523536.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1374013087.685845.jpg
ImageUploadedByPG Free1374013098.185806.jpg

Ammo did really well with everything, even with cattle so close to him. I was really proud of how he acted. Glad my dog is smart even if some people aren't.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad Ammo reacted well, some people are just not very smart and it's our responsibility to watch out and protect our dogs from them. I think you handled it very well with just moving on.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think when you own a dog the dog should be trained
and socialized for real life encounters. your dog did well.
what's the problem? people don't need to be bit. we as
owners of dogs need to have dogs that react like your dog.
nice training.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a dog has to be prepared for stupid and when they're not who's stupid?

i think when you own a dog the dog should be trained
and socialized for real life encounters. your dog did well.
what's the problem? people don't need to be bit. we as
owners of dogs need to have dogs that react like your dog.
nice training.
I just think the guy was stupid for putting his hand in an unknown dog's mouth.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a dog has to be prepared for stupid and when they're not who's stupid?
He has been well prepared. My youngest stick her hand in his mouth all the time. He has also been around a lot of strangers who almost always rub and hug on his head.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the guy probably wanted to get bit so he could sue you. especially since he asked to pet your dog and you said yes
I had kind of wondered that. I told my husband he was either trying to get bit so he could sue us or he was really dumb.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good job training. they have to be trained for the unexpected.
I'm surprised that my daughter sticking her hand in his mouth actually came in handy as a training tool, lol. At least now everyone in the family can say they have had a part in training Ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts