German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Non-GSD related)

Several months ago, Andrew and I had considered getting an AKC AmStaff to show (conformation and performance.) We had already done research on some of the breeders and had talked, in length, to three main breeders. Two breeders were here in Georgia (one has had a Westminster BOB a couple of times) and one breeder is in NC (also has had Westminster BOB a couple of times.) All three are respectable and responsible breeders. We were turned off by the one breeder in Georgia for a couple of reasons.

The breeder in NC was very polite, friendly, helpful, invited us to come see her dogs, gave us a list of people that bought dogs from her, told us that she takes back ANY dogs she has produced at ANY time, etc. The only reason why we didn't choose her is because we ended up adopting Gidget, but we still keep in touch with her.

The other breeder in GA we met and found by accident (she lives about 6 miles from my house!) We drove out to her house, and we met with her. She said she stopped showing any of her dogs a couple of years ago when one of her AmStaffs died. She said she was never going to show again, thought it was ridiculous, etc. and she showed us some of her dogs. Two we fell in love with. One was not for sale, and one was. They were just amazing dogs. She had several others dogs that she either never sold when she produced their litter or that she had gotten back from owners. One had been spayed when it was discovered her hips weren't "good." They had received a "fair" rating. She kept telling us that she used to be big on the show circuit, showed us her boxes upon boxes of ribbons, platters, trophies, but said she loved her dogs above all else. She told us some politics of the showring as well as some "rumors" that were spread about she and her dogs. She said she just "enjoyed her dogs now" and was doing obedience with one of her neutered males "for fun."

Nice person, all in all. I tried doing an internet search to see if I could find any of the "rumors" to verify, etc., but I couldn't.

Much to my surprise, I'm reading the breed entries for AmStaffs at Westminster, and there she is. Her dog...bred by her...owned by her. Now, we went to see her back in September, I believe, and here it is in February, and she has a dog at Westminster. :thinking: Don't get me wrong, it's great she has a dog there, but for someone so against ever showing again, the politics of showing, and rumor mills....kind of makes you a hypocrite when you show up at Westminster with one of your dogs.

I have no idea how the show world really works, but I imagine one has to qualify for Westminster in some form or fashion, and it probably doesn't happen overnight (but like I said - I don't know the "show world.") So this means her dog was probably being shown when we went and talked to her last year when she was going off on her tangent about how opposed to showing she is now. :confused:

I wondered did she not think we'd find this out? Not that it matters. We're not some high dollar couple who could ruin her or anything dramatic like that, but it kind of puts her in a bad light. We would never have known if her dog was being shown in local shows, etc. but Westminster? To be so totally against showing, it's kind of funny to have a dog at the biggest show in the U.S.

She is still the owner of the dog. It's not a co-owned situation with a former buyer, etc.

Just a minor rant, but why can't people be honest? If you're still showing, don't tell someone that you are "done with showing" and "highly opposed to it."

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'd call her, congratulate her, and ask her about it. Lots of things may have happened. She may have changed her mind? She may have gotten the dog back for any number of reasons? Her former handler, or someone who likes to sponsor show dogs, may have picked up the tab for getting the dog's championship (it takes 15 points - a minmum of 3 shows) and Westminster? It could have been a prearranged agreement with someone that she show this specific dog at Westminister? There are all kinds of reasons.

Since you had warm fuzzy feelings about her initially, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and not pass judgment until you hear her reasoning/side of the story.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd call her, congratulate her, and ask her about it. Lots of things may have happened. She may have changed her mind? She may have gotten the dog back for any number of reasons? Her former handler, or someone who likes to sponsor show dogs, may have picked up the tab for getting the dog's championship (it takes 15 points - a minmum of 3 shows) and Westminster? It could have been a prearranged agreement with someone that she show this specific dog at Westminister? There are all kinds of reasons.

Since you had warm fuzzy feelings about her initially, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and not pass judgment until you hear her reasoning/side of the story.
I e-mailed her and said, "Congrats on the showing at Westminster!" (Because he really is a handsome boy.)

When we first talked to her in September, she said she's not breeding anymore. She said she was retired from breeding and showing and you "couldn't pay her enough to do either again" due to the "rumors spread about her."

She has always owned the dog as the dog was also there when we went to visit her, and he has had his CH for a couple of years now.

Who knows? I just thought it was kind of odd that someone so opposed to showing (to the extent that the last time we talked to her, she was bad-mouthing other breeders and dogs) would have their dog...showing.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should mention that this was merely a vent about people being so against something only to....do it. I won't speak ill of her especially since her dogs are in great shape, well loved, and she cares about what happens to them (or she wouldn't have seven dogs there that were returned by their owners.)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Who knows really. People burn out, they have some bad experiences, they sour on an activity... and then the right dog comes along.... Could be something like that.

Also, showing can be a bit like gambling, i.e. addictive. Maybe she was trying to save herself with all that talk!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts