German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in a section of Golden Gate Park, where people sometimes have their dogs off-leash. I was playing fetch with Kali. The occasional dog would pass by, never paying attention to us.

Then, from out of the path comes a Vizsla. He trots towards Kali while his owner consistently calls him back. He doesn't listen. As he gets closer to Kali his trot turns into a "stalking" stance, like he was getting ready to pounce. I tell Kali to "leave it" and she pays no more attention to him and waits for me to throw the ball. We walk off and as we do, I throw the ball for her to fetch. As soon as Kali takes off, the Vizsla goes after her!!! At first, Kali avoided the bite, but delivered one of her one. The Vizsla backed off, but as I and the Vizsla's owner stepped in, the dog kept trying to go for Kali. Luckily niether dog was hurt. She ended up grabbing her dog by the collar and put him back on his leash. I was furious. I told her if she couldn't control her dog, and if he is dog aggressve, he shouldn't be off-leash. The lady says nothing and gives me a dirty look. She walks away... not even saying sorry.

Some people and their dogs!!! ugh. :mad:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Sounds like you and Kali handled it well. An incident like that could be forgiven if she had at least apologized and asked if you both were ok. It takes so little

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I would be very proud of Kali! Well done!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what bothered me about it. I totally understand that dogs will have an occasional "arguement" with another. I can deal with that, and Kali, even being still a little young... can handle herself. I just didn't like how the lady handled it. As if I were talking nonsense. A simple "sorry" would have be fine.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
That absolutely stinks that the dog was allowed to be off leash and out of control, however, in the future when a situation like this occurs, it would be best not to throw a ball for your dog to run after. As you had already noted that the other dogs behavior was a "stalking" stance, this was an attack waiting to happen. Your dog taking off after the ball will cause the other dog to heighten the already present predator behavior. Your dog taking off was like prey taking off right in front of it.

You did right by walking off. The other option is to leash your dog, get in front of your dog, and yell at the other dog, stamp your foot, etc

The other owner and dog were in the wrong here, don't misunderstand and think I'm blaming you. Just trying to help you understand why this happened and what to do differently should this kind of situation come up again.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have noticed that behavior at the Dog Park I used to go to. Some dogs like to chase other dogs, it doesn't mean that they are aggressive but biting at another dog is a different story. I wouldn't be worried about chasing because my GSD loves to be chased, especially by little dogs and my GSD chases other dogs too but he has never bitten or tried to bite another dog.

Some dogs are toy aggressive. You throwing the toy and the excitement of your dog playing fetch probably triggered the dog to go after your dog. That is why I dont like when people bring treats and toys to dog parks.

My GSD loves the dog park, we have never had a problem there, I love it and so does he but now I have a GSD/Husky mix that is both toy aggressive and dog aggressive so we no longer go. :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, Kali loves chasing other dogs and she loves chasing dogs as well. I didn't think that the dog would go for a bite! That's why I threw the ball, lol.

·
Registered
32,078 Posts
Wow, I think I would have waited until the other person was in control of her dog. She was calling to him and he was not responding. I think that one of the most important parts of maintaining our dogs is to protect them from people and dogs.

I think that accidents happen. When they do it usually involves more than one lapse of attentions or mistake.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, one can only assume that if a dog is off-leash, it shouldn't really have aggression issues, right? I saw the dog in a "stalking" stance, but I've seen many do that when they want to play. I guess everyone has thier way of handling that situation. I understand that "the most important parts of maintaining our dogs is to protect them from people and dogs" But was I really expecting a dog, off-leash in Golden Gate Park, SF to randomly go after my dog?... no.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You should never assume how someone else's dog will behave. You noticed the dogs behavior and accurately determined that it wasn't a friendly dog - from a distance. So it doesn't really make sense that you say you assumed it was friendly now.

The general public is...well, lacking...in dog training and knowledge. They typically think their dog is perfect even if most of dog society would think it was an out of control monster. Just make a mental note to yourself the tips provided to you so you know what to do better/different next time. You were lucky this time that the fight didn't cause injuries. You have no idea how quickly that can change.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
my 2 cents....

accidents happen. i would assume this dog that attacked your isn't usually aggresive or the owner would have had it leashed. all dogs can snap/get rubbed the wrong way every once in a while

she definitely should have apologized though

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
That does suck about the owners attitude when her dog attacked yours!

However that does seem to be very common - just a few days ago i was walking my dog in the local park on leash when a woman (no lady!) came into the park with her off leash pit bull. The dog sees us and comes racing across the field to us. Our dog sees him and is immediately on alert but fortunately not aggressively (unusual since he does have a few DA issues with some dogs). The pit comes racing right up to us and was very surprising very friendly body language - not aggressively at all I yelled at him and after danceing around us for a couple of minutes went back to his lazy owner who only then was even close to us.

I said something about controlling your dog and that this is a leash only parkand WOW. A torrent of curses spewed forth and then she took her dog and walked back to where she came from!

Bah on some people!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
of course...

im going to a dog park for the 1st time this weekend and am nervous about things like what just happened to you. but want to try it out, as it could be a blast and great socialization if things work out

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow. That is seriosuly rude! They lady should have said sorry and made sure everything was okay with Kali. But to start she shouldn't let her dog off leash unless she was sure he would listen to her and not be aggressive in any way. Ugh some people just don't use their brain!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I walk a lot of dogs and it's very true. The lady in the OPs story being rude is not uncommon. People with their kids and their dogs.....*sigh*

My story:
I had a similiar incident with my own dog in my neighborhood except my dog was on a leash. Neighbor's dog was not on a leash ran across the street and took a pretty aggressive stance. I started to walk down the street again the other dog started circling me and my dog. My boy read the situation as dangerous, stiffened and responded with a defensive stance. He's not DA. Fortunately the owner came running after calling for his dog and being ignored, got his dog before it escalated. I usually don't criticize people's handling, or lack thereof, of their dogs but this time I spoke up.

He snapped at me "Don't tell me how to train my dog" yeah, right.......and here's your sign mister.

btw: I friend and I were talking about taking our dogs to a dog park just today. After seeing, hearing, reading and experiencing how careless some people are with their dogs....I just don't want to take the chance.

<snipped>
The general public is...well, lacking...in dog training and knowledge. They typically think their dog is perfect even if most of dog society would think it was an out of control monster. Just make a mental note to yourself the tips provided to you so you know what to do better/different next time. You were lucky this time that the fight didn't cause injuries. You have no idea how quickly that can change.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I would have waited till the other dog was leashed before I threw the ball. I also would have leashed my dog and waited for them to leave the area. You never know what an unknown dog is going to do.

My opinion is that both dogs should have been leashed.

Yes the woman should have said something becasue her dog went after yours, but, she could have been ticked at you too for thowing the ball and not giving her enough time to leash her non responsive dog. Doesn't make it right but just a thought as to why did not offer an "I'm sorry".

You read the other dog's signals right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts