German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you guys recall my dog had that chronic ear things that her local vets could not fix. So about a month and a half ago they said I should take her to a dermatology specialist. Unfortunately it took that long to get her an appointment, and I called all 3 places within a 4 hour drive and no one could see her before Jan.

Well she finally saw the dermatologist who confirmed that she does have a tumor in that ear. It also now has another terrible infection, but the good news about that is that I knew it was getting bad and i knew she had this appointment so I left it alone so they could get a good culture. It hasn't come back yet but she did think she got a good culture and would be able to say for sure what would treat the infection part of it. However, the other discharge is related to the tumor and will not go away.

Dermatology said the next steps would be to take her to another specialty hospital for an MRI or CT of the head because she thinks there are more tumors and based on her neurological symptoms she strongly suspects she also has a tumor (s) in her brain. She does think it is probably all related and the tumor (s) are what caused the really bad vestibular stuff too. I am not pursuing biopsy or further diagnostics because the prognosis is poor and I don't think she can tolerate anesthesia at this point, her condition is too fragile.

I had made an appointment to put her down about a week and a half ago but then she had such a good spell leading up to it that I cancelled it. I have decided no more enemas, it's too traumatic for her. We have to increase all her meds every week to keep from her having an episode. If I guess wrong about the increase and she becomes constipated again, we will stop there. If the meds work we are going to max them out and then that will be the end of the road. Since starting the weekly increase in meds I'd say her quality of life has been pretty darn good. She plays every day, she goes for short walks, she seems very happy. She is eating pretty well. So it seems like the right thing to do to max out her meds and let her enjoy her last days and then we will make an appointment before the meds stop working so she does not have to suffer another episode. My best guess is she may have a month tops before we max out the meds and she is gone

Considering all of that I'm only going to treat this new ear infection and we are not going to do anything else about the tumor. At this point I want to keep her out of vets offices as much as I possibly can.

Instead we are taking lots of trips to pet stores where she gets to be a nosy parker and sniff things and shop for her favorite things.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,710 Posts
At least you have more information now and a good plan to make her last days comfortable and happy.Kind thoughts for your family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,305 Posts
Sounds like you found a good derm. I really think that you are making the right decision to make her end of life time as happy, comfortable and full of love as it can possibly be -- I would want the same for one of mine if I were in your shoes. You're doing right by her by looking out for her quality of life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
She looks happy shopping, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Any chance your vet can come to your house when her time comes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,333 Posts
It wasn’t the news you hoped for but you can make good decisions now. She is a beautiful girl and has had a great life with you. I lost two dogs suddenly and would much rather have had time to plan and to say good bye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Honestly I am way past hoping for good news. I took her because it was flaring up again and I wanted to be sure there wasn't something treatable ...if I all got out of it was a culture report telling me for sure which treatment will help the infection so she is spared ineffective treatments, then it was worth it.

It's so hard to say no to more diagnostics or anything but I really feel like the risk/likelihood of suffering for her vs possible benefit to her is just not good. She is happy now. I will let her go before I let her suffer through anything else. I feel better having a set criteria that I came up with my vet and with a clear head.

The vet will come here to put her to sleep if it happens to be a day when both vets are in the clinic or if we do plan ahead. If not, I'll drive her down. I have some sedatives to give her by mouth here at the house. She likes my truck. She doesn't get upset until we go into the clinic. So if I sedate her and take her for a ride in the truck and they come out to the truck it will be okay for her. Or at least it's the best I can do.

I can only hope I've done the right things for her...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,710 Posts
You're doing the very best you possibly can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
You've done all the right things.....from your other thread.... "nobody knows or loves your dog...like you"
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top