German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went looking for Schutzhund club today on google. I keep forgetting there's a Sunshine Coast in Australia as well. So all my hits were for Australia and not really helpful to me.. *sigh*

Something tells me there isn't a club around here except in the city but I don't have to 50$ for ferry fare and gas and such...I guess I'll just put my shepherd puppy in to rally and agility.. Which sucks cuz I was really looking forward to working him in Schutzhund. It looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
That is too bad. I find Agility pretty darn fun myself. Much prefer it over teaching my dog to bite.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Hi Oranges,

You are lucky to be living in Vancouver, you will find several clubs in your area with a lot of very experienced and helpful people.

Here is a link for the German Shepherd Shutzhund Club of Canada.

http://www.gsscc.ca

Click on "clubs" in the left column. Scroll down a bit for the Western Region Clubs you can contact.

If you have no luck this way, PM me, I can get you in touch with some people in your area.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I live 2 hours outside of Vancouver. I just put Vancouver on my profile cuz it's easier then answering "Where's Sechelt" every 5 minutes. Lol. But I will take a look at the links. I'm hoping to talk DH into moving to the city soon. *crosses fingers*

Edit: Thought so. There's nothing around here. No biggie
I can still do the other two sports I want.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Funny, I thought I was seeing things! I saw Sechelt, and I thought, I SWEAR she said her location was Vancouver . . .

Yeah, two hours away is far away, but you will fing that many people will travel that far once a week in order to train.

I'm in Prince George, and I find that I'm extremely lucky to have a club here. The only downside of being in PG is that we can't do much over the winter.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I just changed it. Lol. I'm more then willing to travel that far for Schutzhund but I can't afford the gas prices and ferry fare for myself, my car and my dog.. *yes they can charge for the dog if they're feeling snarky*
BUT! I'm not letting that get me down. I can still do Rally and Agility though it would have been fun to teach my shepherd some of the Schutzhund obedience.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I figured you changed it when I really thought you were in Vancouver. That is why I have Northern BC as my location too. Who would know where Prince George is? And if I just put BC, most people would assume that I'm in Vancouver.

In a small place like Sechelt, you could just ask around. There could be someone around who has some past experience in Schutzhund obedience and tracking who would be willing to work with you. I don't know about the bite-work though. I'd feel more comfortable doing bite-work through a club than with someone who may just offer to give my dog a bite. I'd want to make sure that they really know what they are doing, and as a newbie, that is not something that you would be able to evaluate.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the thing thou. I'm not to interested in the bite work. I'm more interested in the obedience part of it.
I know there's a guy in Roberts Creek that charges ALOT because he works with celeb's dogs and RCMP dogs. *shrugs* If I don't find anything, oh well. I'll just work on Focus and and everything else. I think it's really neat how the dog is centered on you. My dog now couldn't give a **** on eye contact unless I ask it of her. But then she's a lazy couch potatoe. Lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts