German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the logical reason why some breeders like to choose buyers their pups instead of buyers choosing their own. Although I find that to be somewhat risky. For example, when the owner got Lobo he did not come up to her or her husband but other pups did come up to them and follow them around. Lobo was the aloof puppy that the breeder gave them. Lobo shows aloof around her more than husband and shows aloof to other people. Despite, his favorite people are his owners next to them I'm Lobo's favorite. She told me that she does not feel close to Lobo but hopes to Lobo will come close to her. Doesn't listen to them really either. Even though Lobo does pay attention to his owners maybe she doesn't really feel the close bond yet. Although Lobo does obey and listen to anything I tell him to for some reason and is not even mine. Pays attention to me constantly and shows it. Lobo and I share deep bond and constantly think of him always in my dreams. Once loved all the hugging, etc not anymore which I now respect him for. Also they have a professional trainer working with them. She told me that when Lobo did not come up to her at all or her husband when they got him that should've been their first clue. So that is my logic on breeders choosing their pups somewhat. A hint or advice for future puppy buyers if you buy a pup from a breeder make sure the pup comes up to you immediately and follows every where you go and spend 10 minutes or 20 to make sure he does not walk away. If a pup does not make contact or any interactions when you walk in do NOT get that pup or aloof may be what you get for the dog's lifetime.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A hint or advice for future puppy buyers if you buy a pup from a breeder make sure the pup comes up to you immediately and follows every where you go and spend 10 minutes or 20 to make sure he does not walk away. If a pup does not make contact or any interactions when you walk in do NOT get that pup or aloof may be what you get for the dog's lifetime.
No offense, but your reasoning is oversimplifying the process immensely.

Did you catch this thread?
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/finding-right-puppy/255449-letting-breeder-pick-your-puppy.html

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy was picked for me.

When it has come up in conversation with some people they are floored by this. To be honest, I didn't have any emotion connected to it "picking out my puppy", if that makes sense? I'm a novice owner and trusted the breeder who has spent the most time with the litter and took alot of time finding out from me what I was looking for. I really was relying on her in this regard. Because all the pups were cute, curious and wanted to crawl all over me. But I know there's much more to it than that!

Now, I'm sure their are owners who are very experienced and know exactly what they are looking for who jointly with the breeder select the pup that suits their needs. But I'm sure the buyer values the breeders input/observations.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I know the logical reason why some breeders like to choose buyers their pups instead of buyers choosing their own. Although I find that to be somewhat risky. For example, when the owner got Lobo he did not come up to her or her husband but other pups did come up to them and follow them around. Lobo was the aloof puppy that the breeder gave them. Lobo shows aloof around her more than husband and shows aloof to other people. Despite, his favorite people are his owners next to them I'm Lobo's favorite. She told me that she does not feel close to Lobo but hopes to Lobo will come close to her. Doesn't listen to them really either. Even though Lobo does pay attention to his owners maybe she doesn't really feel the close bond yet. Although Lobo does obey and listen to anything I tell him to for some reason and is not even mine. Pays attention to me constantly and shows it. Lobo and I share deep bond and constantly think of him always in my dreams. Once loved all the hugging, etc not anymore which I now respect him for. Also they have a professional trainer working with them. She told me that when Lobo did not come up to her at all or her husband when they got him that should've been their first clue. So that is my logic on breeders choosing their pups somewhat. A hint or advice for future puppy buyers if you buy a pup from a breeder make sure the pup comes up to you immediately and follows every where you go and spend 10 minutes or 20 to make sure he does not walk away. If a pup does not make contact or any interactions when you walk in do NOT get that pup or aloof may be what you get for the dog's lifetime.
I really think you need to go read some books on dog behavior and language. You are personifying them...a lot. I have read some of your back posts, I realize that you are young, and possibly looking for some friendship fulfillment from animals that you may not be getting from humans, but please realize, bottom line...they are dogs. Not people. Maybe talk to your parents or someone you can trust that is close to you, I think you would really benefit from more human relationships. Just my humble opinion. :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The breeder's ability to pick the right puppy for a buyer correlates with the breeder's level of experience and knowledge with the breed, the temperaments, and the amount of time spent getting to know the buyers and assessing each puppy. Just because a breeder made the pick doesn't mean it was the right pick. Lots of people get dogs from people who have no business breeding period. Not saying that was the case here but I don't think you understood the point of those threads on allowing the breeder to pick. It's not about bond, it's about matching the right puppy for the lifestyle of the buyer, and this is assuming that a GSD is the appropriate breed for the buyer in the first place and that the breeder knows what s/he is doing.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really think you need to go read some books on dog behavior and language. You are personifying them...a lot. I have read some of your back posts, I realize that you are young, and possibly looking for some friendship fulfillment from animals that you may not be getting from humans, but please realize, bottom line...they are dogs. Not people. Maybe talk to your parents or someone you can trust that is close to you, I think you would really benefit from more human relationships. Just my humble opinion. :)
I have many friendship fulfillments from and with animals such as dogs. Just an observation from letting a breeder choose can be risky somewhat. Also realized get the pup who is not aloof the first time you meet. I do have dog careers already and am planning to be a dog trainer and a vet. I no Lobo is a dog and is different than relationships with my human friends. Our friendship dynamics with Lobo is changed and move on from where I am. We are still friends and we do hold a close bond but we move on and change the way we do affection.

·
Banned
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually Dianne Lobo's owner lent me a book and I am reading it currently. I once wondered for a while whether dogs prefer younger people like me or younger than adults for some reason. I do not know why just had that in my head. But I guess its the longer time you spent with them. If I lived with Lobo or he lived with me things might've been different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts