German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.5 month sable named Liam. He's about the most intelligent dog I've owned, my third GSD but first to have raised from a pup. But there are some things I'm curious about, please tell me if these are normal and any ways to adjust his behavior or let him grow out if it.
#1. Submissive peeing. He likes to pounce on our cats and when we say, Liam NO! He piddles. Same when we go let him out of his crate in the A.M. and we have him sit before we let him out, he piddles. Is this normal for his age? We don't beat him or anything but I am very stern in letting him know what's right and wrong, vocally. I hear puppies are prone to submissive peeing until a year, any personal experience is appreciated.
#2. Barking. He gets plenty of exercise but goes nuts when we prepare his food while he sits in his crate, we say Liam no, etc and have even tried the pennies in a can things but nothing is successful, any opinions?
#3. Playing with the other dog. We have a 2yo Chow that he just plays so rough with. Grabbing the fluff of her heck and jerking violently. She responds with the same but we would like to encourage separate play time, if that's possible? Any ways to get to call him off of her? She listens and stops but he continues like a vicious little ankle biter. Also this creates problems on walks. He wants to play with her instead of focusing on the journey ahead although the more walks we take the better he gets.
#4. Pulling on walks. Can someone recommend a good training collar or lead and some techniques?

I know that's a lot but any input is appreciated and maybe he is just too young and has no attention span yet but thought I'd ask. Thanks

Here's my handsome boy Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddly, that's almost identicle to what we do. When he gets fed while he is out he learned to stay until I use the command "eat" then he dives right in. I have started the calm kennel door like you said. If he gets too excited I back away and repeat until he quits jittering. Have you had any issues with submissive peeing with corrections?

I love training as well, I had him sitting at 3 months old and now lays and stays (when he's calm). Thanks for your feedback, I will try some of these things you have mentioned and see how they work.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts