German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger was eating Canidae (not the grain free stuff) and he was really itchy but his stool was fine. So I switched him to Wellness whitefish and sweet potato (also not grain free) and the itching is better but his stool is loose almost every afternoon. It is usually fine in the morning. So should I stick with the fish and go grain free or do you think the fish is causing the loose stool. I feel like the fish is helping his skin so I hate to switch back to chicken/lamb/turkey. Any ideas on foods that will be good for his digestive systemand his skin?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Sounds like you need a digestive enzyme added to his food. There are several but Carmspac has a great one! :)
Try The Honest Kitchen - 100% Human Grade ingredients and processed in a Human Grade Manufacturing plant. (I do not have any association with HK;)) "Love" is also grain free and a beef product.
Zeal: All ingredients dehydrated: Haddock, whiting, sweet potatoes, eggs, organic coconut, organic alfalfa, apples, pumpkin, parsley, cabbage, bananas, salmon, cranberries, garlic, rosemary extract, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate. - See more at: Zeal - Grain Free Dog Food For Sensitive Dogs | The Honest Kitchen
Guaranteed Analysis

• Protein, 35.50%
  • Fat, 8.50%
  • Fiber, 5.80%
  • Moisture, 8.90%
  • 437 calories per cup
http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/zeal#sthash.wm5t8EAn.dpuf

·
Registered
482 Posts
It sounds like an allergy to me. I would definitely switch to grain free first. I also do not like feeding any type of poultry to mine as they cannot seem to keep a firm stool or they have really bad gas :sick:

But the more I feed it the more I like raw, I have been feeding both raw and grain free kibble but once Diesel is to full weight potential I think I am going to make the switch to all raw. Headed to butcher this weekend to see what kind of deal I can strike up.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Momto2gsds, Is honest kitchen an additive or a food?

Diesel and lace, i had heard that chicken is not good for dogs, but his stool was fine on the mostly chicken food. Problem was he was itchy. Now on the whitefish he has the runs. Do you think he is allergic to fish? Should I switch to lamb or beef?

Do you guys think that grain is then problem?

·
Registered
482 Posts
He is still itchy right? If he is still itchy but its not as "bad" then the grain content in your food may be lower.

Think about it this way, if a wild or stray dog is hungry they dont run over to a wheat or corn field and start chowing down, they find meat. Grain is not a natural part of a canine's diet. It can cause a whole list of issues from: Allergies, urinary problems (body cant break it down properly so it goes to their UT to be disposed of), weight issues (they dont need as many carbs as humans do), digestive issues (they cant break down the grains like a human can) and many more that are debatable if they are actually related.

I prefer non-domestic protein sources (fish, bison, venison, boar, rabbit if you must feed fowl duck) Thats my personal opinion and feeling. But if I had to pick a domestic source it would be beef. I feed one feeding a week of fish (raw) and it always seems that his stool is a little loose the next day. Its not horrible but I feed it to him for the vitamins and oils he is not getting from the other sources I feed.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Momto2gsds, Is honest kitchen an additive or a food?

Diesel and lace, i had heard that chicken is not good for dogs, but his stool was fine on the mostly chicken food. Problem was he was itchy. Now on the whitefish he has the runs. Do you think he is allergic to fish? Should I switch to lamb or beef?

Do you guys think that grain is then problem?
Grain could be, but there are SO many other possibilities that trying a grain free food like HK would be an easy elimination type diet to see.
Honest Kitchen is a complete balanced food with limited ingredients.
The HK you add the meat to is called "Preference" which would also be a GREAT choice for bowel/itching problems if you are game to mix in the meat. Raw is the best choice but you can also cook the meat. Just make sure that you rinse off the grease several times after cooking the meat as dogs cannot digest the grease from cooked meat and will give them diarrhea. ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our GSD Jake had issues with loose stool and itching from allergies.

Turns out he had SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and after treated with the antibiotic Tylan, he was better, but still not perfect.

So we took him off commercial dog food, consulted with a canine nutritionist and have had him on homemade cooked dog food for over 6 months. His digestive and allergy issues are a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Let me summarize again.

On the Canidae (chicken, beef, turkey and fish plus rice and other grains) he is itchy but his stool is fine.

On the Wellness (whitefish, sweet potato, barley) he is NOT itchy but his stool is runny.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A lot of GSD owners (including myself) had success with Proplan Sensitive skin and stomach. My pup had months of loose stool until I finally found this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts