German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My lovely little Dio is now a little over 6 months and a pistol. He has gone through spurts of being a sweet little guy who loved to cuddle, but now sitting down on the floor with him incites biting or him being a basket case. Since 8 wk, I have been redirecting him, giving him "time outs," spraying bitter apple, scruffing, yelping/saying ouch, walking away, you name it, we've done it. My breeder suggested putting him in a down-stay whenever he bites, but getting him to do that in the midst of a biting binge is impossible because he will not do it willingly and will bite you if you force him down.

He is not yet neutered, so I wondered if he might calm down a bit w/ less testosterone....And yes, he is exercised and we find a difference in the biting if we manage over 3 h a day, but in light of 2 working parents ;)he generally only gets at least an hour a day of walking plus play.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
......he generally only gets at least an hour a day of walking plus play.

Any thoughts?
If it were me.....I would cultivate ball play (fetch), and I'd get a ball on a rope. You can chuck a ball on a rope quite a distance and run/work the dog much more vigorously in 30 minutes than an hour walk. I think burning off even more energy would be helpful.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with more exercise and play- but biting really is normal for that age. It will get better. Right now I'm wearing sweat pants with little holes where mine punctured them. I tried every suggestion and recommendation, there wasn't one thing that worked specifically other than time and patience. Do you play tug?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If it were me.....I would cultivate ball play (fetch), and I'd get a ball on a rope. You can chuck a ball on a rope quite a distance and run/work the dog much more vigorously in 30 minutes than an hour walk. I think burning off even more energy would be helpful.
I agree. I've noticed that if I take Deuce for a walk to the local park and take him inside of the baseball field (it's fenced in) and throw the ball and make him run for 30 mins he comes home and sleeps...LOL. He's 5 months old.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Neutering will not "cure" his behaviors. I would do as Wayne suggests and get his fetch out! You can also do some tracking with him(use his meals), that is a great mental and physical exercise.
Forcing him down is just ramping him up. I would not do that anymore at all. He needs an outlet, tug is a great one now that his teething is almost finished. I've seen where pups seems to be real oral right after teething, then it will subside as pup matures.
If you aren't in any classes I'd enroll in one, just for fun...or SchH~Get addicted:)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is 11 mos and he gets a very high level of physical activity and training, but we still play tug nearly every night for about 15-20 mins. We have toy that's 3 interlocking rubber rings so there's lots of pulling options. It's very useful for tiring him out, letting him bite and pull and it wards off the bed time zoomies.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know how you feel, Brody is in the same butthead teenager stage at 6 months. We exercise him alot as well, and play ball with him twice a day. I know it will get better as he gets older!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the suggestions. We actually do a lot of ball work, in our yard and at the little park up the street. My husband uses his lacrosse stick to throw the ball quite a distance and i use the orbee on a string b/c i can toss that. =) Dio lives for his orbee!

All of his permanent teeth have erupted, so the crazies aren't from that. I actually found that giving him huge boxes (from costco) were great for chew items AND he would literally wear himself out gnawing on 3 foot boxes. :p

I actually haven't done any tug work or searching with him. He has insanely high prey and food drive, thanks to his breeding. Any good rec'd on how to properly do tug work?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Are you in any classes with him?
I like the french linen or synthetic two handle tugs for play. Hallmark K9 - Premium Dog Training Equipment - OB Synthetic

Michael Ellis video clips have one on tug, worth watching or ordering the video if you like it! Leerburg Streaming Video
One think I want to warn about, don't use the lacrosse balls for fetching, as your pup gets bigger, they are just the right size to choke a dog. Use the orbee for that, or a ball on string.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I agree with more exercise and play- but biting really is normal for that age. It will get better. Right now I'm wearing sweat pants with little holes where mine punctured them. I tried every suggestion and recommendation, there wasn't one thing that worked specifically other than time and patience. Do you play tug?
Agreed, normal. At that age I had to pin my girl (gently, of course) a few times to get my point across. She got the message. At 1 1/2 she is still mouthy but there is no jaw pressure exerted.
For tug work, the Kong Wubba is a great fetch and tug toy. It is a squeaky ball wrapped in cloth with 'tails' so you can
throw it. My dog LOVES it. It is very rugged.

·
Registered
30,371 Posts
Aligator? ALIGATOR!?? How did you get such a special puppy? Everyone else only gets sharks! :)

Neutering won't help. He's just a puppy. :) Redirect like Wayne suggested and watch the videos that Jane posted. You do NOT need to pin or alpha roll your puppy. My girl really like the ruffwear eggs. they seem to hold up pretty well. I wouldn't give it to a larger dog than her and I don't think they come in a larger size but should be fine for a puppy.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
For tug work, the Kong Wubba is a great fetch and tug toy. It is a squeaky ball wrapped in cloth with 'tails' so you can throw it. My dog LOVES it. It is very rugged.
Wubba's don't last a day at my house. The dogs remove the clothing and then we are left with a white ball that isn't very fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts