German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeus is in bite-training with an instructor and he's become a bit suspicious about people who directly approach him. The worst are the neighbors who saw him when he was a delightful puppy and think he's still that innocent and approachable. He's NOT!

I'm tired of trying to convince people that it's dangerous to approach the dog and being ignored. Zeus growled at a woman and her daughter who approached him today. I can't take the chance he might snap at someone.

So, here's my solution...the text on the front and back are the same but there's a graphic on the front of a GSD. The text reads:

DO NOT APPROACH DOG!!!

PROTECTION TRAINED!!!

LF

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Assuming people read... But most don't.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Sounds like you're raising an excellent ambassador of the breed...a dog that would bite a perfectly harmless mom and daughter.

Protection should only be when necessary...not to keep a 10 foot radius around you at all times because your dog will bite everything in its path.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think a harness on him that says do not touch or similar would be a better idea and are widely available online if you don't want to make your own or need an idea. Most people are probably to busy looking at your dog to read what is on your shirt.

I have never had a problem with just saying don't touch the dog and stepping between the dog and the person the same way I would if I was blocking my dog from a loose dog. You just need to get a little rude:)

I do this with my puppies and strangers all the time and I have never been unsuccessful with making it understood that they are not to touch my puppy and I assume puppies are much harder to resist.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hehe. You could.

Or you could just raise your eyebrows at the people and sternly say "He's NOT friendly."

Might not do much for the breed's reputation, lol, but I bet it would be pretty effective.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
While I do agree people should not just walk up and pet any dog without asking but I don't understand why your dog is growling at people or deciding who is a threat. That is your job.

Am I to understand that if I start doing bite work with my dog he will exhibit mistrust and anxiety in all people around him?

Police dogs do not walk around growling at people.

JMHO

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think that you should get a muzzle for him.
If he growled at a kid and a mom who were harmless that's a little dangerous. People 99% of the time won't approach a dog with a muzzle either :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...

Sounds like you're raising an excellent ambassador of the breed...a dog that would bite a perfectly harmless mom and daughter.

Protection should only be when necessary...not to keep a 10 foot radius around you at all times because your dog will bite everything in its path.
Hyperbole.

LF

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I hope you have very good insurance because this is an accident waiting to happen...and that is definitely not hyperbole.

I don't know what kind of training your dog is getting but if he is growling at people who are not a threat then he shouldn't be getting that kind of training. A clear-headed, confident gsd will naturally protect her/his people when a threat is present. If your dog is perceiving all people as a potential threat then he is neither clear-headed nor confident. If this were so then working police and border patrol dogs would be unsafe around the general public.

It doesn't matter what type of clothing you wear or sign you put on him. If he bites someone, you will be held liable.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I'm all for people not TOUCHING your dog because he might have issues with it. But just the fact that he growls at anything approaching him is completely incorrect. I mean...can you really guarantee that a child won't just run by him some day and he won't just lash out and grab the kid?

Sorry...a T-Shirt on you or the dog won't stop people from approaching you when you're with your dog. If I'm walking towards you on the sidewalk, and I see you wearing that type of clothing (which you would need 7 of for each day of the week), I'm not going to inconvenience myself and cross the street just because YOU think you've given me enough warning.

This dog doesn't sound like he should be out in public.

BTW...I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just reacting to your short post/question. If you gave more information on the type of training you're doing maybe I'd think different. But as of now, I'd hate to live in your neighborhood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gee, what a great shirt. You are advertising to all that you know your dog is dangerous. Will make it much easier for them to sue you when it bites someone. Their lawyer will thank you for that bit of help.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Zeus is in bite-training with an instructor and he's become a bit suspicious about people who directly approach him. The worst are the neighbors who saw him when he was a delightful puppy and think he's still that innocent and approachable. He's NOT!

I'm tired of trying to convince people that it's dangerous to approach the dog and being ignored. Zeus growled at a woman and her daughter who approached him today. I can't take the chance he might snap at someone.

So, here's my solution...the text on the front and back are the same but there's a graphic on the front of a GSD. The text reads:

DO NOT APPROACH DOG!!!

PROTECTION TRAINED!!!

LF
Sounds like some ****ty bite training to me... Good luck. Hope the dog won't end up paying the price for his owner's decisions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hyperbole

I'm all for people not TOUCHING your dog because he might have issues with it. But just the fact that he growls at anything approaching him is completely incorrect.
I never said anything of the sort. Thye came quickly towards him while he was sitting, leaned over him and reached out with both hands towards his muzzle.

But don't let me interfere with your self-righteous fun.

LF

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK

Gee, what a great shirt. You are advertising to all that you know your dog is dangerous. Will make it much easier for them to sue you when it bites someone. Their lawyer will thank you for that bit of help.
I did give this some thought before ordering the (8) shirts. But I think there's more danger in someone approaching the dog and startling him into taking a defensive move than in anything else.

I'll stick with the shirts. It's too hot down here in Texas and too humid along the coast for him to wear a muzzle and/or a vest.

LF

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Your dog should NOT be doing bite training if he's considering everyone that's innocent a threat. He doesn't get to make that decision. YOU are supposed to. Only balanced steady dogs should be allowed to continue any kind of bite training. He should be aloof and neutral unless needed. This is a very bad situation.

No people should not be approaching and petting without permission but again, its YOUR decision on who is a threat. He doesn't get to decide that. Highly inappropriate and bad for breed image if he's just growling willy nilly at those he should be neutral with.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
no, you said "approached". sounds to me, your dog does not have the temperament for this type of training. have you gone to a shutzhund club and ask for advice? this can escalate into a serious dangerous problem. has your dog been tested to see if shutzhund is correct training for your gsd. not all gsd, regardless of the lines bred from are suited for bite work. imo, you need more than internet/forum help with this.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Maybe its just me, and the instructor I had, but a dog that growls at anyone who just comes near it, isn't a stable enough dog for protection work. /shrugs

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually,

I'm pretty cool with him being aggressive towards humans outright. He's not but if he were I'd be OK with it.

There's not many of them I'm all that fond of either.

LF

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.