German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Well I hate chemicals and wanted a natural way to kill the fleas in my house I tried Borax detergent and it didnt work well I had heard about bathing pets in dawn dishsoap well Just Shampoo your carpets in Dawn and the fleas dissappear! I do shampoo my carpets everyother day for sanitary purposeses and vacume often but two days later no Fleas!!!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I would not recommend using dish detergent to bathe a dog. That would be too harsh.

No opinion on using it on your carpet, but one cannot argue with success.

You shampoo your carpets every other day?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dont use it on Dogs I know what it does to my hands cant imagine what it would do to a poor dog!!!!! thats why they invented flea medication like frontline! lol I am a clean freak I never think things are clean enough so I clean often....im a weirdo lol

·
Banned
28 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brandyb22Hello Everyone!

I do shampoo my carpets everyother day for sanitary purposeses and vacume often but two days later no Fleas!!!
When does the carpet have time to dry if you shampoo every other day and why would you need to vacuum at all if you shampoo the carpets every other day?

How do you keep dishwashing liquid from "sudsing" up? What machine do you use?

Curious. Very curious.

DW Liquid is the last thing someone should use on their dogs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually if your dog gets skunked and you call poison control they tell you a mixture of dawn dishsoap, vanilla baking, soda and water so i think as long as it's diluted it's safe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The carpet in my house isnt plush carpet and it dries very quickly I vacume often because of the sand that is broght into my house from pets and people and I have a one year old who will eat lint and any small particle on the floor. Its just a basic bissel shampoo machine add way more water than soap.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I've heard that Dawn can kill fleas by coating them and drowning them. The problem I have with this is that everything I've read on treated fleas says that the eggs can only be killed with an Insect Growth Regulator (IGR), which NO dish soap contains. If you see adult fleas on your dog, let alone actually on the carpets, it's safe to assume there's a decent infestation of eggs as well and THOSE are what need to be addressed to really combat the infestation, or the cycle will continue over time.

I used an IGR product I got from my vet. Along with using that, I switched to Frontline Plus and treated the infested dog with Capstar. I have not seen a flea or any pest in my house or on my dog since. Killing the adult fleas only kills the adultfleas.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brandyb22The carpet in my house isnt plush carpet and it dries very quickly I vacume often because of the sand that is broght into my house from pets and people and I have a one year old who will eat lint and any small particle on the floor. Its just a basic bissel shampoo machine add way more water than soap.
Is there padding under the carpet?

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts
i'm not a fan of chemicals and what not either, but i think using them once to fix the problem is not such a big deal, and then just maintain the flea free environment naturally. i'm actually the one with a flea allergy, not the dogs - so if there is one flea in the house, it finds me and i know about it. i havent had fleas in over two years... and even then it was a groomer telling me that she saw a couple fleas after bathing my dog, so who really knows. i have 2 dogs, 2 cats, all are allowed indoor/outdoor.

high quality diet + clean freak = no fleas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i feel like i have started somewhat of a contraversy this was not ment for that I just found something that worked for me and maybe it could work for someone else I didnt have a flea out break I had a few and now they are gone. Just my personal experiance. Try it or not just felt like sharing!

·
Banned
28 Posts
No controversy.

There are different kinds of carpet.
There are different kinds of padding.
There are different types of sub-flooring and being regularly wet would require removal of the covering and a drying agent to be put down to avoid things like mold. Otherwise, none of the flooring is really dry especially if you're "shampooing" every other day.

For what it's worth linoleum has a padding of it's own however thin it might be that will absorb the water and hold it against the sub-flooring. Breeding ground for bacteria and/or mold or both.

Using a high-sudsing cleaner will leave a residue on the carpet unless you repeat the cleaning process in rinse mode. (You rinse your dishes after washing them, don't you?) It's the same thing. Rinse or the residue is still there. Something to think about.

There was a reason for the questions I asked and it wasn't to be controversial.

Glad your detergent works for you on your carpets.

·
Registered
646 Posts
dawn dish detergent is safe to use; it's used during oil spills to clean birds/mammals that are covered in oil

i don't think that i'd use it every day, but it is safe

·
Super Moderator
7,261 Posts
i apologize, somehow i read the original post as you asking for a solution to fleas and wanted to know if dawn was okay to use.

to ellen - dawn IS safe to use however the fact that its used to cut grease in animals, i would think that using it in place of a specified animal shampoo would eventually strip the coat of the essential oils the dogs need. i think as a kid i used dish soap every now and again, but now i wouldnt dare.

but i'll shut up now because i just realized i'm going on month 8 of not bathing my dogs. its remarkable that they dont stink yet.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Dawn works because when fleas get wet the coat themselves in a waxy/oily to protect themselves coating which dawn will break down so the fleas will drown. I have used it safely on very young (2-4 week old) kittens and puppies with no harm done. I would recommend using a conditioner afterwards since it will definitely strip away all oils. Like someone else mentioned this will only kill adult fleas.

I would personally use dawn on my dog over a pesticide filled shampoo, the fleas will be just as dead with a lot less risk to the dog.

You can also dilute regular pet shampoos to make it somewhat watery and lather the dog up before ever getting them wet, then let it soak for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I use Revolution once every six weeks. I think that it beats the chemicals in dawn soap, if that is done often. I never see a flea -- never. I had ten dogs done by the groomer a month ago, my house and my mom's and not one flea. They told me they were looking too, considering how many dogs I have.

I would not use a flea shampoo either.

The skunk remedy I heard of is hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and baking soda mixed into water.

Hoping I need neither.

Concidering the danger in allowing fleas to bite my dogs, and cause hot spots and skin problems, I think that trumps the occasional use of flea preventative, especially as it also provides protection from other nasty stuff like heartworm and mites.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts